Swiss train travel questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss train travel questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:26 pm
Suspended

in austria the price for the vorteilscard and österreichccard goes up to.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL
Hi,
I will be traveling for my first time using a Swiss Rail Pass. I've never used a rail pass anywhere and the idea of just hopping on a train totally thrills me!
I bought a first class pass and am wondering about the need to purchase seat reservations.
Is it really possible that I would have to stand in First Class if I don't and it's full? Or are people not permitted to board a full First Class car?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 1:37 pm
Suspended

I bought a first class pass and am wondering about the need to purchase seat reservations.
Depended on the Train Company.The SBB have on the Day Trains no Seat Reservation maybe for the TGV Trains...
Other Train Company have it for some "Special Trains" like Glassier Express.
Is it really possible that I would have to stand in First Class if I don't and it's full?
yes... First Class get (in some) Contry Cheaper and Cheaper and more People Travel so if you Travel before, during, after Holidays you have to stand...
Or are people not permitted to board a full First Class car?
If there no Seat Reservation on the Train you can stand in the 1Class.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by HelloItsMe
Hi,
I will be traveling for my first time using a Swiss Rail Pass. I've never used a rail pass anywhere and the idea of just hopping on a train totally thrills me!
Is it really possible that I would have to stand in First Class if I don't and it's full? Or are people not permitted to board a full First Class car?
You probably don't need to purchase seat reservations. The only time I've bothered with seat reservations on SBB is on the morning IC trains between Zürich and Bern which get rammed in 1st class (probably in 2nd as well). We only did that to have a group of seats for us folks working together.

You can stand in First class, or even ride in 2nd class with a first class ticket.

Other than rush hour though, it's rare to have a full first class wagon. Generally, I have a set of two or four seats to myself.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
A few trains in Switz. require reservations: Bernina Express, Glacier Express and William Tell--all of these routes can be done (with a few changes of train/boat) on local routings (so NO reservation requirement.)
As noted above, during the "rush" hours (morning and evening) even first class can be at full capacity--but generally they have lots of fc cars (many of which are double decker [twice the capacity].
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL
Thanks all for you responses. I will likely be doing some of the legs during rush hours so will probably go ahead and book seat reservations. Not a big price to pay for peace of mind!
Old May 23, 2015, 10:06 am
Suspended

Stupid question: What is the main swiss railroad (their equivalent of Bahn?)
Old May 23, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by greggarious
Stupid question: What is the main swiss railroad (their equivalent of Bahn?)
SBB. Also known as CFF or FFS (depending on which language you're speaking...)
Old May 23, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by KQ321
Swiss Federal Railways in English. I travel with them nearly every day.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KQ321
Thanks!

PS: That (FFS) an unfortunate acronym to an English speaker

(often used to abbreviate "FOR F*CK'S SAKE!").
Old Sep 17, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
I purchased the SBB Half-fare card this week. I noticed after buying it that RailPlus is free for under 26. Do I have to still add that on even though it's free? Would I have to talk to a ticket agent?

Second, I'm planning a one-way trip through Germany to Switzerland, SBB says I get 25% off German tickets. Do I have to buy these tickets through SBB to get the discount? Does my trip have to start in Switzerland?

Thanks all!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
You'd save a heck of a lot of money if you just book it on the German DB rail site, if you can deal with the German. The connecting trains in Switzerland are included in the ticket, Half Fare Pass or no Half Fare Pass. I have the German Bahncard 25, which gives a further 25% reduction. Good deal all in all. For example, this Summer I did Montreux to Dusseldorf for €14.25! You'd never get a price like that booking on the Swiss SBB site!

The RailPlus seems to come free with these cards. I've got it on both mine.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by HelloItsMe
Hi,
If you download the SBB App, they have pretty accurate predictions on how full carriages will be. A bit late for you but hopefully of help to someone!
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by Concerto
For example, this Summer I did Montreux to Dusseldorf for €14.25!
This looks like a fuel dump . I will think about it on my next train trip...by skipping the last leg
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
For example, this Summer I did Montreux to Dusseldorf for €14.25! You'd never get a price like that booking on the Swiss SBB site!
At one point you could book a one-way from Zürich HB to a nearby but different station, say Zürich airport via Bern and only have to pay the fare between the HB and the airport. They fixed that loophole pretty quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.