Reload this Page >

Swiss train travel questions

Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver

Hi all,

Going to be in Switzerland for 3 days to visit Zermatt and had a few questions regarding passes and such. Can anyone tell me if the following scenario is valid?

Swiss 2 day Flexi Pass - $272 (buy before leaving for Europe)

Innsbruck->Buchs SG (3/21/14) - $30.11
Buchs SG->Chur (3/21/14) - Free using Flexi Pass
Chur->Zermatt on Glacier Express (3/21/14) - $14.56 for reservation, ticket is free using Flexi Pass

Zermatt->Zurich Airport (3/23/14) - Free using Flexi Pass

Total: $316.67 plus 50% discount on fares in Zermatt

Am I missing something here or is this all ok? Let me know, thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:58 am

Double check the Chur->Zermatt on Glacier Express prices, they usually don't consider glacier express or similar scenic train as part of Flex pass. You might have to pay an additional 90-125 CHF per round trip for that leg of journey.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Roadrunna
Double check the Chur->Zermatt on Glacier Express prices, they usually don't consider glacier express or similar scenic train as part of Flex pass. You might have to pay an additional 90-125 CHF per round trip for that leg of journey.
It says here: http://www.glacierexpress.ch/EN/time...s/default.aspx that the Swiss Flexi Pass gets a free discount, but I will contact them to confirm.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by greenythebeast
It says here: http://www.glacierexpress.ch/EN/time...s/default.aspx that the Swiss Flexi Pass gets a free discount, but I will contact them to confirm.
Please post what you find out, I'm getting a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass and from what I read it is indeed a free discount on the Glacier Express.

One question though: if I do get the pass, all I need to do is make the reservation online and show up with the pass on the date of travel? Or is there anything else I should do?
Old Feb 15, 2014, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingRabbit
Please post what you find out, I'm getting a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass and from what I read it is indeed a free discount on the Glacier Express.

One question though: if I do get the pass, all I need to do is make the reservation online and show up with the pass on the date of travel? Or is there anything else I should do?
Received a reply from the Glacier Express:

Dear greenythebeast

Thank you for your mail.

If you choose one day of the Swiss Flexi Pass than the pass is your valid ticket on the whole Glacier Express line. You only need to purchase a seat reservation.

Information about availability and seat reservation on the Glacier Express for individuals (less than 10 people) are disposable 90 days before your travel day on www.glacierexpress.ch or every international railway station all over the world or through us.

We are at your disposal for any further questions.

Best regards

Francine Hurni
Rail Center

So that pretty much confirms a Swiss Flexi Pass holder only needs to buy a reservation. As for your question, I believe that's all we have to do, yes.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
wonderful, thank you!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Innsbruck->Buchs SG (3/21/14) - $30.11
there are many non flex Ticket avaible: https://ticketing.oebb.at/inet/pub/ticket#
omg 19€ for an 1Class Ticket!!!!!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ToGo
there are many non flex Ticket avaible: https://ticketing.oebb.at/inet/pub/ticket#
omg 19€ for an 1Class Ticket!!!!!
That's what I got! 19€ = ~$30
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:29 pm
Suspended

ok perfect *gg*
In Innsbruck you can enter the ÖBB Lounge: (1Class Ticket)
http://www.oebb.at/en/Services/Servi...nges/index.jsp
In the Morning you get free "Kipferl" and Coffee, Tee, Hot Chocolate,...

But you have to use an Public Toilette (you dont want to use them...)
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ToGo
ok perfect *gg*
In Innsbruck you can enter the ÖBB Lounge: (1Class Ticket)
http://www.oebb.at/en/Services/Servi...nges/index.jsp
In the Morning you get free "Kipferl" and Coffee, Tee, Hot Chocolate,...

But you have to use an Public Toilette (you dont want to use them...)
Thanks for the tips!
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:37 pm
Suspended

the best tip is dont use the public toilette in Innsbruch Mainstation its better you searching for an local Train who start in Innsbruck and go in 10+ Min.
In dont know how the ÖBB do that... The other Lounge are so nice an Clean...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:36 pm

Seat reservations

To clarify, it is the Eurail Pass that is not valid on the Glacier Express, but the Swiss Pass is valid, as confirmed earlier. The Eurail Pass (as well as the Swiss Pass) is, however, valid on another scenic Swiss trip, the Bernina Express on the Rhaetian Railway.

In 2005, I had some difficulty in getting seat reservations for the Glacier Express with my Swiss Pass. I did not want to wait until arrival in Switzerland, as it was mid-summer. So, about 45 days prior (on another trip to Europe) I stood in line at two ticket offices in London, who were unable to help, and then again at the international desk at Gare du Nord in Paris, also unable to comply with what seemed to the ticket clerk as an exotic request ("why not get them in Switzerland?"). I finally emailed the ticket office in Zermatt, and they were able to make two seat reservations, which were held for me until arrival in Zermatt, and were charged to my credit card, which I emailed them at the time, as inadvisable as that may seem.

Perhaps, per the email quoted earlier, things have improved. In any case, there is a person in the email to contact if all else fails.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
To clarify, it is the Eurail Pass that is not valid on the Glacier Express, but the Swiss Pass is valid, as confirmed earlier. The Eurail Pass (as well as the Swiss Pass) is, however, valid on another scenic Swiss trip, the Bernina Express on the Rhaetian Railway.

In 2005, I had some difficulty in getting seat reservations for the Glacier Express with my Swiss Pass. I did not want to wait until arrival in Switzerland, as it was mid-summer. So, about 45 days prior (on another trip to Europe) I stood in line at two ticket offices in London, who were unable to help, and then again at the international desk at Gare du Nord in Paris, also unable to comply with what seemed to the ticket clerk as an exotic request ("why not get them in Switzerland?"). I finally emailed the ticket office in Zermatt, and they were able to make two seat reservations, which were held for me until arrival in Zermatt, and were charged to my credit card, which I emailed them at the time, as inadvisable as that may seem.

Perhaps, per the email quoted earlier, things have improved. In any case, there is a person in the email to contact if all else fails.
I just made a seat reservation using their online booking engine. It allows you to select that you have a Swiss Pass and then it just charges you for the seat reservation.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:59 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
In the worst case scenario, you can do the Glacier Express route by using local trains (there are far more of these than the GE). As in most of Switz. connections are well timed. Zermat to Visp, Visp to Andermatt, Andermatt to Disentis and finally Disentis to Chur. Even the Eurailpass is valid from Disentis to Chur* [Rhaetian railway]...and you don't need reservations.

*on this leg, many of the announcements are in Romansch--I doubt they would be on the GE, a language rarely heard in "tourist" areas of Switz.

Last edited by nrr; Feb 19, 2014 at 8:09 pm
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
In the worst case scenario, you can do the Glacier Express route by using local trains (there are far more of these than the GE). As in most of Switz. connections are well timed. Zermat to Visp, Visp to Andermatt, Andermatt to Disentis and finally Disentis to Chur. Even the Eurailpass is valid from Disentis to Chur* [Rhaetian railway]...and you don't need reservations.

*on this leg, many of the announcements are in Romansch--I doubt they would be on the GE, a language rarely heard in "tourist" areas of Switz.
My itinerary the day I take the GE is an interesting one.
  1. Innsbruck HBF to Buchs SG (7:40am-9:58am)
  2. Buchs SG to Chur (10:15am-10:48am)
  3. Chur to Zermatt (11:27am-5pm) (GE)

Hopefully everything is on time

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.