Wiki Posts
Search

MUST DO--in Turkey?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question MUST DO--in Turkey?

I'm headed to Turkey next week for spring break, and I'd appreciate some input on what you all think are the "MUST DO" things (i.e., sights, tours, etc.) in Istanbul. I will be in Cappadocia for 3 days and then about a week in Istanbul. I'm pretty much down for anything, especially outdoor activities. If any of you all seasoned FT travelers can help out, I'd appreciate it. For the most part, I'm traveling on a fairly tight budget (i.e., I'm staying in hostels), and getting the biggest bang for my buck is key .

Thanks, FT!

PS: I'm not sure whether this post should be in the Europe or Asia forum. Turkey is...well...the crossroad between Europe and Asia.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
My ideas for Istanbul:

Old Town:
The Topkapi Palace, takes almost a day
The Agya Sophia
The Underground Water Reservoir
The Great Bazar
The Spice Bazar
The Blue Mosque

Golden Horn:
The large shopping street

Other things:
Visit a turkish bath and relax there
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
If you have time and the boats are running and the weather is nice, take day trip from Istanbul to the Princes' Islands: http://www.living-turkey.com/living_...ce_Islands.htm
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bcmatt
If you have time and the boats are running and the weather is nice, take day trip from Istanbul to the Princes' Islands: http://www.living-turkey.com/living_...ce_Islands.htm
A boat ride to Princes' Islands sounds pleasant. I'm curious as to what the weather is like in late March. I hear it can vary from snow to sunny 60-degree days. Anyone have any experience? Weather can clearly change, especially with odd weather across the globe. Thanks once again, FT! I really appreciate you all helping me make the most out of this trip.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by caspritz78
My ideas for Istanbul:

Old Town:
The Agya Sophia
The Great Bazar
The Spice Bazar
The Blue Mosque

Golden Horn:

Other things:
Absolute great line-up, listen to this person!
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:02 am

Programs: UA/AA
You will love Cappadocia. It is one of the most amazing places that I have ever visited.

Here is a good website on Turkey travel that might be of some help.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/index.html

Hope this is of some help.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
A boat ride to Princes' Islands sounds pleasant. I'm curious as to what the weather is like in late March. I hear it can vary from snow to sunny 60-degree days. Anyone have any experience? Weather can clearly change, especially with odd weather across the globe. Thanks once again, FT! I really appreciate you all helping me make the most out of this trip.
I went to the Princes' Islands last year in early April. The weather was indeed changeable, pretty warm and sunny in morning (we risked wearing shorts) and chilly and windy in the late afternoon (at which point we regretted wearing shorts!!). Best to be prepared for anything!
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by caspritz78
My ideas for Istanbul:

Old Town:
The Agya Sophia
The Great Bazar
The Spice Bazar
The Blue Mosque

Golden Horn:

Other things:
All good choices. I would also recommend a Bosphorus cruise one afternoon. Relatively inexpensive (maybe $20) and if the weather's nice a very pleasant way to spend some time.

At night, the area of Taksim is jammed with partygoers crowding the many, many bars and restaurants.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: LH (*gold) / EK / Flying Blue / BMI (*silver)
Be sure to take a hotel in the old-town area (Sultanahmed) for your first visit in Istanbul. That will allow you a most convenient sightseeing tour as recommended above. All the sights are in walking distance from each other. A hotel in the old quarter should be the cheaper and more atmospheric option too.

If you want to explore the nightlife in the Taksim Area, go there by taxi.

If the weather is fine, a cruise to the Princess Islands is indeed highly recommended. Weather in March will most likely be sunny and warm (temperature ~20C, no rain) but there can be indeed some chilly winter reminders if the wind is coming from the northeast. Be prepared for both and youīll fine.

I went to the Princes' Islands last year in early April. The weather was indeed changeable, pretty warm and sunny in morning (we risked wearing shorts) and chilly and windy in the late afternoon (at which point we regretted wearing shorts!!). Best to be prepared for anything!
Please donīt wear shorts in Istanbul. Although considered Europe and with usually very open minded and nice people, Turkey is an islamic country too. Nobody will hurt you if you do, but wearing underwear in public will be for sure the best way to make a complete fool out of yourself.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 4:50 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by mijugo
Be sure to take a hotel in the old-town area (Sultanahmed) for your first visit in Istanbul. That will allow you a most convenient sightseeing tour as recommended above. All the sights are in walking distance from each other. A hotel in the old quarter should be the cheaper and more atmospheric option too.
Absolutely agree. That's what I did in December. It's unbelievable what great service these small often family run hotels offer.

If you want to explore the nightlife in the Taksim Area, go there by taxi.
An experience you will never forget.

Please don´t wear shorts in Istanbul. Although considered Europe and with usually very open minded and nice people, Turkey is an islamic country too. Nobody will hurt you if you do, but wearing underwear in public will be for sure the best way to make a complete fool out of yourself.
Yep and everyone will see that you are a tourist.

One tip from my side. Since Istanbul is a big tourist city there will be tons of people trying to sell you something. They will ask from where you are, tell you how great it is that you came to Istanbul and so on. Just say thank you and be nice and keep walking. That' the important part. Keep walking. These people won't follow you because they won't do give up their selling spot.

I can recommend this website. The travel tips are very very good.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:03 pm

Please don´t wear shorts in Istanbul. Although considered Europe and with usually very open minded and nice people, Turkey is an islamic country too. Nobody will hurt you if you do, but wearing underwear in public will be for sure the best way to make a complete fool out of yourself.
Well I was with a Turkish friend from Istanbul who was also wearing shorts (in fact I only did because he did), so I guess even Turks can be fools when the weather is warm. However, as you equate shorts with underwear, you must be thinking of skimpier items than I would ever dare wear in public Of course shorts can tend to be a fashion faux pas!

As a side note, Turkey is a officially a secular country and nothing will wind up some Turks more than telling them they are an Islamic one!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 5:18 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
You could also make a boat trip to the black sea.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 5:33 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
If you can possibly afford it, I'd urge you to take a day trip to Ephesus, which is amazing and shouldn't be crowded that time of year, or make it an overnight to spend a bit more time in the area. Off season, you can probably get a good deal on a package including airfare and a guide. If you're interested, PM me and I'll find the local travel agency I used.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:26 am

Please donīt wear shorts in Istanbul. Although considered Europe and with usually very open minded and nice people, Turkey is an islamic country too. Nobody will hurt you if you do, but wearing underwear in public will be for sure the best way to make a complete fool out of yourself.
I'd have to say that this advice goes for most all of Europe. Generally speaking, they dress-to-impress most everywhere in Europe. Very rarely will you see dressy shorts, even in the heat of summertime...and absolutely NO athletic shorts.

When I want to embarass my daughter, I tell her that I'm going to buy some of the "man-capri" pants they wear over there. Honestly, I thought they were kind of cool...with slip-on shoes, sockless. But, I don't think they'll ever catch on in the USA.

I was pleasantly surprised by the fashion I saw when walking in Izmir and Istanbul. From a male point-of-view, I'd give them an eye-candy rating right up there with Italy.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Smile

I definitely want to go sightseeing and minimize the cost whenever possible. Trips on the water are fun, and I can do some writing while I'm at it .

Do you all have suggestions for any inexpensive restaurants or places to grab some food?

I'm ridiculously excited but likewise nervous. Since I'm not familiar with the language, I'm slightly terrified of getting lost or worse, doing something that I didn't know was "taboo" (e.g., wearing shorts )

I leave this Saturday, so if any of you all have any other suggestions, please let me know!

By the way, I'm flying Onur Air from Kayseri to Istanbul. Anyone know if it's a relatively safe airline? Any baggage restrictions? I try to access their website, but it's all in Turkish with some relatively attractive woman with a headphone piece from the 90s.

Thanks, FT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.