Search

Rome FCO: how to get into town at night

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2005, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Question Rome FCO: how to get into town at night

Hello Folks (1st post on FT after two years of lurking! ),

I'm booked on a flight scheduled to arrive in Rome Fiumicino (FCO) at 23:45. The last train for the city leaves at 23:37. The first night bus is way past 01:00 am.

So my question is: how do I get to central Rome between 23:37 and 01:30? Are cabs the only option? Any reputable shuttles out there?

Cheers,

Tom
Old Mar 11, 2005, 7:46 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Have you thought about spending the night at an airport hotel and then going into the city the next day? That might save you some money in a couple of ways - by saving you cab fare or car service and airport hotels are generally cheaper than equal quality in town.

Welcome to FT - or should I say, welcome to posting on FT.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
A cab that time of night shouldn't be too bad -- no traffic.

The suggestion of staying at an airport hotel is a good one. The easiest is the Hilton (its connected to the airport and the train station) but it's not *cheap*. But still may be cheaper than your hotel in town. Expect to pay $150 euros.

Another option is to go in style and have a car meet you at the airport. Here is a link to a reputable firm:

http://www.airportconnection.it/index.html
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I'd take a cab - but be very careful about quoted rate & when you pay cabbie - have had them claim we didn't give them the right amount of money, switched a 50E for a 5E, so just keep an eye on it.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks all - FT does it again!
Unfortunately, the airport hotel solution (which I admit is the easiest one) is not an option because my sig. other will be arriving earlier and will be waiting for me in a very nice centrally located hotel ^ . (But their shuttle service will not operate after 23:00 )

Originally Posted by doglover
Another option is to go in style and have a car meet you at the airport. Here is a link to a reputable firm:

http://www.airportconnection.it/index.html
Thanks for the link - I think I'll try them.

Tom
Old Mar 12, 2005, 12:57 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
But their shuttle service will not operate after 23:00 )
Tom
Tom, I've used this company, and their web page states 24hr service.

http://www.limoservicerome.com/

I'm not sure if they have a surcharge for the later hours though. Many businesses do that.

If you strike out, go back in the forum for a year or so. (It's hard without search), and some other options were given. I seem to remember Slawecki (sorry if I'm wrong!) even found a company/personal owner that gave excellent service.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:46 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Posted from another link:

Just received this tidbit in an email from my Rome contact.

For the car, you could just go to the Concora booth, though lately we've been using Gianesi because they are more reliable and also cheaper (40 Euros from the airport vs 60 for Concora). They don't have a stand at the airport, but if you send them an email with your flight info they'll have a car waiting for you when you arrive (website: www.gianesibus.it ;email: [email protected]).

This organization has lots of people going back and forth to FCO weekly, so I trust them.

In the past, we used Concora, but we're happy to experiment.

lala
Old Mar 14, 2005, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, everybody ^ . I'll try to get quotes, and I'll report when I'm back.
Old Mar 16, 2005, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Thanks a lot, everybody ^ . I'll try to get quotes, and I'll report when I'm back.
Wow, all quotes I got were in the EUR 50 - 60 price bracket, cheapest option for one person, hand luggage only. (Wonder how much the powers that be at the relevant public transport bodies have pocketed to stop service at 11:30 at night and not to operate any replacement service until 1:30 am, thus tapping the "returning after day trip or arriving late" market? )

Gee, I might just get a cab instead. Or do these disappear into the blue at some point around 11 pm?

I'll keep you posted.

Tom
Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:02 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Hi Tom. Here's a link to the "Rome Transport" thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=9641

I recommended M.L.M. last year after a bad experience with LimoServiceRome. Scan the thread and you'll find details.

It's €35 plus a late night/early morning supplement. I know the €35 is still current (Elia has billboards all over - was just there 2 weeks ago) but the €10 supplement could have changed since last February). A cab theoretically would cost you the same - if you don't get taken for that proverbial ride...

Buona fortuna e buon viaggio.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Post So here's what happened

OK, so here's what happened:

At night, http://www.airportconnection.it/ only do the € 52 limo late at night. So after trying vaious other firms (and the suggestions I got here), I finally got my inbound shuttle from www.romeshuttlelimousine.com - they had the best offer of € 40 for a limo around midnight, incl. late night surcharge.
The driver was waiting for me in the arrivals hall, took me to his E-Class Merc (which smelled a bit of smoke but was othereise fine) and then got me to Rome VERY fast (I lost count of the tram lanes used and red lights ran). So that was not bad at all.

BTW I might have made the right decision in steering clear of www.airportconnection.it - on Saturday, I booked a shuttle to Ciampino Airport for a friend due to leave on Sunday (daytime shuttle, € 30 door to door), and got a confirmation. On the day, just 5 1/2 hours before scheduled pick-up time, I got a call, and was told that as a matter of principle, they would not run shuttles to Ciampino, and whether I would like a € 52 Limo? A cunning plan, given that most competitors require more than 5 hrs notice! My friend then simply hired a metered cab - the hotel concierge booked it for him, and since traffic was light at the time he left, it turned out cheaper than the limo.

Tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.