Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous serious incident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those impacted by the tragedy. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

(For those more interested in conspiracy theories and have access to OMNI, please post there: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...u-airport.html.)

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

Flyertalk Brussels incident moderator team: stut, cblaisd and starflyergold

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

SUMMARY: At ~08:00 local time on Tuesday, March 22, 2016, three men with several large bags arrived by taxi at BRU / Brussels Zaventem airport. They proceeded with their bags on trolleys into the departures area, where they detonated Claymore type devices within the suitcases (explosives wrapped with shrapnel consisting of nails, etc.) at opposite ends of the Departures area.

11 are known dead in this incident, many more injured. Two bombs detonated, a third suitcase detonated later, after the area had been evacuated. Two bombers were killed, a third one is being searched for; he is believed to be Hakim Laachraoui, allegedly the bomb designer and implicated in the November 13 Paris terrorist bombings.

Approximately an hour later, two men including the brother of one of the BRU bombers detonated a suicide explosive device at the Maelbeek metro station, not far from EU / EC buildings. More than 20 were killed at the metro station. In all, there have been over 260 reported injuries.

BRU / Zaventem began to open with three flights 3 April. There are new procedures in place, as reported by member flatlander on Sunday, 3 April in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

flatlander, 3 Apr 2016:

BRU is now open with limited service. See http://www.brusselsairport2203.be for new arrivals and departures procedures.

Of note: There will be a vehicle check approaching the drop-off zone. Only passengers will be allowed past the drop-off area into the temporary check-in and departures area, and there will be no luggage trolleys or catering in the departures area. After security there are a few places to eat and drink.

There are no train or bus services to the airport. Access is by private car, taxi, foot or bicycle. No car rental at the airport.

...Recommended arrival time at the airport is 3 hours before departure.
Alternate access to / from Brussels by air is via Brussels Charleroi / CRL / EBVI 29 miles from the city and connected by bus. CRL hosts Low Cost Carriers and some airlines have temporarily diverted flights from BRU to CRL.

Rail services (e.g. Thalys from Amsterdam and Paris) are functioning normally.
Resource information:

Link to BRU / Zaventem airport site with maps and details of current procedures.

Link to detailed BRU procedures for departing passengers.

Belgian Federal Crisis Center offers an English PDF here, and current updates on its FaceBook page here. Twitter @crisiscenterbe.

Relatives of BRU / Zaventem airport victims or inquiring may call +32 2 753 73 00.

Relatives of Maelbeek victims or inquiring may call +32 78 15 17 71.

Rail service has been reestablished to all rail stations (excepting BRU). Noctis busses are running. Trams #92 and #93 are running. For Metro service, see here. Plan more time for security procedures implemented as Belgium is at Security Level 3, even at rail stations, etc. and be sure to be prepared to produce valid identification.

Link to updated article on BBC

Updated 03 April 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Brussels airport and metro explosions 22 March 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by RTW1
I don't find those stories to have much information..... it's all a bit, there was a bang, people were injured and there was chaos. I haven't seen any really in-depth interviews yet.
No, not in depth. But did you watch the video in the second link?

Maybe 60 minutes are on their way to Brussels now like they did after the Paris attacks.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd fly into AMS and take the train. There's a station right in the airport, although you might need to change in Amsterdam CS or elsewhere. Some of the trains should be nonstop from Amsterdam.
You never need to change in Amsterdam CS to get from Schiphol to Brussels, (unless of advised scheduled works on the line or the Schiphol tunnel).

There are as many as 30 direct services linking Schiphol Airport with Brussels on weekdays (and a similar number on weekends)

There are 16 hourly "Intercity Brussel" trains (the first one departing at 06:07; the final one departing at 21:07) that reach Brussels in 3 hours and that depart 7 days a week

Intercity Brussel route map

On weekdays, there are also 14 almost-hourly high-speed "Thalys" trains (departing at 33 minutes past the hour from 06:33 to 20:33 inclusive, except that there is no train at 10:33 or 19:33, but with an additional service departing at 20:03) that reach Brussels in 1:35 minutes for a higher price. The number of Thalys trains on weekends is somewhat reduced (12) and there are a few variations to the departure times, though the structure remains very similar to the weekday schedule.

Thalys route map - entire network

This means that you rarely have to wait for more than 30 minutes for a direct train service from Schiphol to Brussels.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:02 am

Some new witnesses:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ss-Europe.html

UK security services are also worried, so keep your eyes open everyone and remember!
Old Mar 23, 2016, 9:52 am
formerly PHLGrump

Oh man. For those that have a strong stomach, watch the videos on LiveLeak.com.

Incredibly sad and scary.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RTW1
I don't find those stories to have much information..... it's all a bit, there was a bang, people were injured and there was chaos. I haven't seen any really in-depth interviews yet.
There was a fairly extensive interview on NPR last night with a reporter from the Wall Street Journal.

There's a link to listen as well as a transcript here:

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/22/471474...ussels-airport
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:54 am

I do read French, and this is the kind of story I was looking for on a passenger's experience: http://www.nicematin.com/temoignage/...ttentats-34699
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:13 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
No flights on Friday either
Attached Images  
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't know the exact wording, but the USA state department has issued some kind of a travel warning for Belgium according to cable news in the USA.

ADDED: CNN is saying that it's for Europe but hasn't defined Europe for this purpose.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 23, 2016 at 3:37 pm
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The airlines normally flying into the southern Brussels Charleroi / CRL airport are still flying, and a few airlines have diverted scheduled flight service from BRU ato CRL in the interim.

The rail services to all Brussels stations have apparently been restored; trams 92 and 93 have been restored. Metro service is not completely restored; see http://www.mivb.be/irj/go/km/docs/ST...splash_nl.html for updates.

On another note, my wife and I will fly to Europe next month to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. There's no though of canceling or changing a thing; our risks are greater using local taxis, and encountering local cons, pickpockets and petty criminals.

We also flew the first day flights were restored after 9/11.

After experiencing an apparent timed explosive device (it was found and removed) incident on Pan Am in 1986, and terrorist attack on the Metropole Hotel in Saigon in 1965, I'm not about to give terrorists the power to dictate the course of my life; that's exactly what they aim for.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I don't know the exact wording, but the USA state department has issued some kind of a travel warning for Belgium according to cable news in the USA.
It is not just for Belgium. They issued a travel alert for travel to and throughout Europe.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...vel-alert.html

More of a C.Y.A. thing it seems. Typical "common sense" type of info.

Terrorist groups continue to plan near-term attacks throughout Europe, targeting sporting events, tourist sites, restaurants, and transportation. This Travel Alert expires on June 20, 2016.

U.S. citizens should exercise vigilance when in public places or using mass transportation. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid crowded places. Exercise particular caution during religious holidays and at large festivals or events.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
An advisory has been issued for Europe, even beyond Belgium. And other parts of the USG have their own notices, warnings and even restrictions for parts of Europe.

On my own time, the State notices of that sort don't cause me to abandon plans or make new ones to go elsewhere just because of such incidents and/or advisories.. I'm just as likely to be connecting via BRU or in the city next week as I would be before these attacks, assuming the airport is open. I am less likely to fly out of BRU on US carriers, if only because I don't want to be hassled even more by the type of contract "security" that DL uses at AMS and that demand some people to have and show ID from countries of which they are neither a citizen nor resident and which they've never had in their possession.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:40 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Belgian media are reporting long queues to enter the stations due to security checks (not just Eurostar) so do leave plenty extra time.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
CNN in the USA is reporting that BRU airport is closed through Saturday (and of course possibly beyond this).

They're also saying that the USA embassy says that some USA citizens are unaccounted for at this point. This is apparently the result of friends and family not being about to reach them and then contacting the USA Department of State or the Embassy/Consulate in Brussels.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
General question: anyone seeing longer lines at USA airports since the attacks?

Trying to plan for my flight home tomorrow...
Old Mar 24, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Not sure what others have experienced at other airports in Europe, but yesterday at CTA (Catania, Italy), all entrances to the airport at the departures level are closed except for one, and anyone entering the airport needs to show a passport and printed itinerary.

At the arrivals level, anyone waiting for a passenger has to wait outside, no one allowed in the arrivals hall. If you need to rent a car, etc... you get get in.

When we got off our flight from IST, even before going to passport control, we went through another security screening. Checked bags took a good 30 minutes to show up, so I assume they were being screened again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.