Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous serious incident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those impacted by the tragedy. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

(For those more interested in conspiracy theories and have access to OMNI, please post there: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...u-airport.html.)

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

Flyertalk Brussels incident moderator team: stut, cblaisd and starflyergold

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

SUMMARY: At ~08:00 local time on Tuesday, March 22, 2016, three men with several large bags arrived by taxi at BRU / Brussels Zaventem airport. They proceeded with their bags on trolleys into the departures area, where they detonated Claymore type devices within the suitcases (explosives wrapped with shrapnel consisting of nails, etc.) at opposite ends of the Departures area.

11 are known dead in this incident, many more injured. Two bombs detonated, a third suitcase detonated later, after the area had been evacuated. Two bombers were killed, a third one is being searched for; he is believed to be Hakim Laachraoui, allegedly the bomb designer and implicated in the November 13 Paris terrorist bombings.

Approximately an hour later, two men including the brother of one of the BRU bombers detonated a suicide explosive device at the Maelbeek metro station, not far from EU / EC buildings. More than 20 were killed at the metro station. In all, there have been over 260 reported injuries.

BRU / Zaventem began to open with three flights 3 April. There are new procedures in place, as reported by member flatlander on Sunday, 3 April in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

flatlander, 3 Apr 2016:

BRU is now open with limited service. See http://www.brusselsairport2203.be for new arrivals and departures procedures.

Of note: There will be a vehicle check approaching the drop-off zone. Only passengers will be allowed past the drop-off area into the temporary check-in and departures area, and there will be no luggage trolleys or catering in the departures area. After security there are a few places to eat and drink.

There are no train or bus services to the airport. Access is by private car, taxi, foot or bicycle. No car rental at the airport.

...Recommended arrival time at the airport is 3 hours before departure.
Alternate access to / from Brussels by air is via Brussels Charleroi / CRL / EBVI 29 miles from the city and connected by bus. CRL hosts Low Cost Carriers and some airlines have temporarily diverted flights from BRU to CRL.

Rail services (e.g. Thalys from Amsterdam and Paris) are functioning normally.
Resource information:

Link to BRU / Zaventem airport site with maps and details of current procedures.

Link to detailed BRU procedures for departing passengers.

Belgian Federal Crisis Center offers an English PDF here, and current updates on its FaceBook page here. Twitter @crisiscenterbe.

Relatives of BRU / Zaventem airport victims or inquiring may call +32 2 753 73 00.

Relatives of Maelbeek victims or inquiring may call +32 78 15 17 71.

Rail service has been reestablished to all rail stations (excepting BRU). Noctis busses are running. Trams #92 and #93 are running. For Metro service, see here. Plan more time for security procedures implemented as Belgium is at Security Level 3, even at rail stations, etc. and be sure to be prepared to produce valid identification.

Link to updated article on BBC

Updated 03 April 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Brussels airport and metro explosions 22 March 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC, FlyingBlue, IHG Gold Amb, Kimpton whatever
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer

I'd say the checks in DUB were slightly more lengthy than normal - the queue at the border was significant (although most likely because there was an influx of arrivals at the same time), but whereas usually a British passport would result in almost automatic wave through thanks to the Common Travel Area, this time there was a few seconds of studying.

The biggest change was certainly a much more visible presence of Airport Gardai - not all armed - outside the building, and they were reacting to something as we waited for a taxi. Local media reports suggest this move had been planned for some months, but brought into action earlier as a result of the Brussels attacks.

http://www.her.ie/news/dublin-airpor...-threat/284378
We all (mix of Irish and European passports) sailed through border control at DUB on Thursday... The usual cheery "welcome home" which I love (yep, I'm a sucker). I think we were lucky in our timing - Christmas eve was not good in terms of queuing at the border - somewhere between La Guardia and Marrakech! That's what I get for being a cliché and coming home for Christmas and easter...
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by chasingtheblue
We all (mix of Irish and European passports) sailed through border control at DUB on Thursday... The usual cheery "welcome home" which I love (yep, I'm a sucker). I think we were lucky in our timing - Christmas eve was not good in terms of queuing at the border - somewhere between La Guardia and Marrakech! That's what I get for being a cliché and coming home for Christmas and easter...
Not quite sure what you mean. Does La Guardia have immigration? I thought they were purely domestic.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Not quite sure what you mean. Does La Guardia have immigration? I thought they were purely domestic.
I took it that he was implying that the line to cross the border at BRU was as long as the distance from NY to Marrakech.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
I took it that he was implying that the line to cross the border at BRU was as long as the distance from NY to Marrakech.
I don't know if you're right but it seems a reasonable interpretation.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 1:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I took it as a reference to sometimes very long and slow moving security lines. But I find LGA a relative oasis of serenity compared to the madhouse I see at EWR.

While LGA does get some common carrier flights from outside of the US, those international flights into LGA are only regularly scheduled to come from US CBP PreClearance airports. Speaking of the last few decades at least. But in terms of passport control lines for ordinary common carrier flights at least, no such thing as passport control lines on arrival at LGA. [Well, maybe if CBP or ICE or some other federal or local LEO is there to do something to one or more arrival passengers on one of these international flights into LGA, but I've never seen that for my flights from Canada into LGA.

LGA also has some scheduled common carrier international flights that leave the US from LGA. So in that sense it's an international airport.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 30, 2016 at 2:06 am
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:22 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Who pays extra costs for transportation?

I came back to Belgium on Monday flying into AMS instead of BRU.
I bought a train ticket @ AMS to continue my journey home. Never thought much of this until I read an article on deredeactie.be (unfortunately I can't find this anymore) stating the airline company is responsible to pay for your entire trip home.

I wonder what others think of this:
- I don't find it appropriate to charge these costs to the airline, it's not their fault, concerning me this is rather force majeure
- I was in the impression that the EU law excluded force majeure but according to this article apparently not
- We voluntarily changed our flight to AMS (we could choose for other airports as well). Is it fair to have an airline pay for these tickets when everybody can plan their own itinerary.

Also, keeping in mind what has happened I find it rather inappropriate to make a big deal about a few euros.

Still, from this article and what I hear from other people I may be a bit too good, don't think about all this and just request for compensation.

What do other flyertalkers think?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Even in force majeure, EC261 still requires provision of duty of care (hotel, etc), but does not require compensation.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 4:44 pm

I have a scheduled Brussels Airlines operated trip that transits through Brussels in mid-April, YYZ-BRU-TLS booked on Expedia, with a return trip (direct from not-Belgium) via Air Canada.

I just want to change the trip out to YYZ-CDG ORY-TLS and deal with the change-of-airport to avoid all this uncertainty, and probably help out SN by taking a bit of load off.

But I can't get a refund/re-schedule without penalty yet.

It's getting annoying having Brussels Airlines only cancel a day or two's worth of flights at a time. Sure, they can give me a full refund if mine eventually becomes cancelled, but that will probably cover half the fare of a 24-48 hour before ticket.

It doesn't help that YYZ-BRU is a new route for SN that was supposed to start on March 28th or so (but still hasn't).

And how will this work since my return flight through a partner airline does not transit through Brussels. Would the whole ticket get cancelled?

Other airlines are offering far more generous reschedule-at-no-penalty, though with varying terms. Delta would still charge you the fare difference (as if this is the customer's fault), Air Canada won't.

If the airport police get their wish of a full security perimeter around the airport, won't that make them redundant?

Ugh... I'm venting... Anyone have any advice?

Last edited by tecate55; Apr 1, 2016 at 5:10 pm
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Have you tried directly telephoning SN and asking for a re-book? Or AC? Sometimes human agents can bypass the rules that are applied to the web.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:22 pm

Would I have to deal exclusively with Expedia, or are AC/SN willing to help directly despite this?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:19 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Date of restart has been set: #brusselsairport will partially resume passenger flights as of Sunday 3 April.
https://twitter.com/BrusselsAirport

Brussels Airlines will be the first to resume their flights. 3 flights have been scheduled for tomorrow afternoon: to Faro, Turin and Athens. Brussels Airlines said yesterday that they were "fully ready" to restart at Zaventem.

Other airlines are to follow, but Ryanair will keep Charleroi airport ('Brussels South') as their hub until Thursday. Tour operators Jetair and Thomas Cook will probably use regional Belgian airports such as Ostend and Liège until the end of the Easter holidays. The Spanish low-cost carrier Vueling is to keep its hub in Lille, in northern France, at least until Tuesday.
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.en...News/1.2617506
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tecate55
Would I have to deal exclusively with Expedia, or are AC/SN willing to help directly despite this?
All it takes is a phone call to find out. But airlines sometimes bend the usual rules during disaster periods.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:17 am
Suspended

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0WZ0HM

Interesting material about access being limited to arriving just by car, as my norm there is often to use the train.

Originally Posted by Reuters
With its temporary check-in zone, it will only be able to handle some 800 departing passengers per hour, around 20 percent of previous capacity.

The airport says it aims to return to maximum capacity before the start of summer holidays at the end of June or early July, with some check-in desks restored in the departure hall, followed by a full reopening of that space.

Initially, the airport will only be accessible by car.

Special cameras will be set up to read number plates, there will be random checks of vehicles and the drop-off zone will not be accessible.

Passengers and their baggage will be checked on arrival and there will be increased patrols of armed police and military.
Cars/pax screened on the access road to the temp check-in area.

Extra police check and ID/boarding pass check at entry to the temp area.

The general public not flying to be denied entry to airport.

India style.

That was what the BBC said, except they didn't say it was Indian airport style (which is what this is).

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 2, 2016 at 10:25 am
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0WZ0HM

Interesting material about access being limited to arriving just by car, as my norm there is often to use the train.

Cars/pax screened on the access road to the temp check-in area.

Extra police check and ID/boarding pass check at entry to the temp area.

The general public not flying to be denied entry to airport.

India style.

That was what the BBC said, except they didn't say it was Indian airport style (which is what this is).
No train? That's nuts. The attackers arrived by taxi, right?

First the Belgian government cancelled the anti-fear demonstration, out of fear. Now they won't let people take the train? This CYA mentality is not how you respond to terrorists.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
No train? That's nuts. The attackers arrived by taxi, right?

First the Belgian government cancelled the anti-fear demonstration, out of fear. Now they won't let people take the train? This CYA mentality is not how you respond to terrorists.
Yes, the BRU bombers arrived by car/taxi. My bet is that there will be some car trunk and maybe even under the engine hood checking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.