Wiki Posts
Search

Need suggestion for Zurich hotel near train station

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
Need suggestion for Zurich hotel near train station

The wife and I will be spending 1 night in Zurich prior to our flight home to the US. I was hoping for some guidance on places to stay. Our flight is at 10:30 am but I'd like to get to the airport early enough to enjoy some time in the departure lounge (Business Class) and have breakfast.
- Should we stay in Zurich or by the airport? We'll be taking the train in from Lauterbrunnen.
- If we stay in Zurich, how much time should we allow to get to the airport (Via train I suppose)?
-Any suggestions on clean mid priced hotels by the train station?

Thank you
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:55 am

About 8 fast trains per hour run from Zurich HB to the airport, taking 9 - 13 minutes depending on the train. The airport is often added as an extra stop on intercity trains however, so they aren't evenly spread. Even so, you won't have to wait more than 20 minutes in the worst case scenario, should you have missed one.

As you have no doubt found out, Switzerland is expensive Given the ease of getting to the airport, there's no real difference between spending the night in Zurich, staying central and going to the airport in the morning, and spending the night in Zurich and going to the airport to stay there. I would just choose based on hotel offerings for that night.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:15 pm

Using the forum search function yields this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...ort-hotel.html

There are other existing threads that might be useful for you, also.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
I can't give you any specific hotel recommendations, but I would suggest just picking one that has the right combination of price/ TripAdvisor reviews regardless of whether it's at the airport or within walking distance of the main station (Hauptbahnhof). Trains to the airport are so frequent and quick.

The only difference is the Radisson Blu, which is actually at the terminal and requires no shuttle. By far the most convenient, and quick access (by train) into the city in the evening if you want to go out.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:45 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
We've stayed at the Hotel Rutli. Close to the HBF and handy to have a quick wander around Zurich if you have enough time coming from Lauterbrunnen.

Zurich isn't cheap but it's quite good considering the price of the city itself.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Since you're Marriott Gold, the Marriott near the Hbf might work out well for you, eating breakfast in their above-average lounge instead of at the airport.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I am going to second the Marriott. Nice 5-minute walk to the station.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All. Right now I have a reservation at both the Zurich Marriott and based on one of the suggestions above, the Courtyard Marriott near the Oerlikon station. The Courtyard is 100CHF less so it may be worth the extra train rides to get to it from Lauterbrunnen then back in to the city to go to dinner and back out to the hotel. (3 extra train rides x 2 people = ?CHF)
I will also check out Hotel Rutli.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Thanks All. Right now I have a reservation at both the Zurich Marriott and based on one of the suggestions above, the Courtyard Marriott near the Oerlikon station. The Courtyard is 100CHF less so it may be worth the extra train rides to get to it from Lauterbrunnen then back in to the city to go to dinner and back out to the hotel. (3 extra train rides x 2 people = ?CHF)
I will also check out Hotel Rutli.
Certainly much cheaper than 100 CHF. Added "advantage" if you sleep in Oerlikon, some of the trains to the airport from there take 4 minutes! Some take 25 minutes, though, so check the schedule before getting on board.

Last edited by KLouis; Feb 23, 2016 at 9:23 pm
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for tip.
I just added a third reservation to my files. I added the Radisson Blu at the airport. Thanks to Flyer Talk, I found a thread on Carlson Hotels discussing a friends and family rate. Got the Radisson for 80 euros.
If we wanted to go to the city for dinner, is the train ride ~15 minutes? Is the airport train station close to the Radisson?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.