Zurich airport hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zurich airport hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: Currently fais la navette entre les US et Paris. Lived in Scotland, Netherlands, and virtually everywhere in the US
Programs: AA 1M miles, UA Premier 1K, AF FB Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold VIP, Starwood/Marriott Gold Elite, etc.
Zurich airport hotel?

Dear Travel-Friends,

I will be taking the train and then have an early flight out of ZRH and am thinking of booking an airport hotel. It's hard, however, to get information about which hotel(s) are actually *walking* distance from the terminals, and which require a shuttle. The Radisson Blue seems to be in the airport . . . and also lists as almost double the price as the other hotels.

So, is the Radisson the only Zurich airport hotel in the terminal? Is it worth the extra money to be able to walk? If not, what other hotels do you recommend? I'll probably go into Zurich for the evening.

thanks

JayCey
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:23 pm

Radisson is the only onsite hotel. Others are only about a 5-7 minute shuttle ride. I usually stay at the Hilton.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
yes Radisson is the only onsite hotel, Hilton is by shuttle, but there are others reachable via easy tramway ride, e.g. Novotel or Swissotel Oerlikon. This might be better if you want to go downtown as the same tramway will get you directly into the heart of the city (Zurich main station). Just check when the last tramway will leave from the city towards the airport.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
There is a Marriot on trams 10 and 12 at the Glattpark stop (the trams use the same track from ZRH Airport to GP--but diverge there), hence there is twice as much service! In the early morning (rush hour), there are lots of trams. [There are a few other hotels along that route.] Time 10 min.
PS: One thing to consider with airport-hotel shuttles, they can fill up and there are NO standees. I've stayed at the Hilton many times--they accept shuttle reservations...but I don't know if that really work. Trams have lots of seats and standees ARE permitted.]
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
If you have status then go for the Hilton. It's an easy shuttle ride from the airoprt and they have a good Exec Lounge(which I assume has re-opened since my last visit 3 years ago...???)
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:29 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
If you have status then go for the Hilton. It's an easy shuttle ride from the airoprt and they have a good Exec Lounge(which I assume has re-opened since my last visit 3 years ago...???)
Yes, the lounge has reopened.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: LX SEN
I suggest staying close to Oerlikon train station. This way, you can arrive by train, walk to the hotel, head to downtown Zurich for dinner or drinks by train and in the morning get one one of the very frequent trains from Oerlikon to the airport, which is 4 minutes away. It will take the same time as from the Hilton but you'll be in a more practical location. Good options are the Swissotel or the Marriott Courtyard.

Another idea would be the Transit Hotel which is litterally inside the terminal. This is a very cheap and convenient option but requires you to check-in for your flight the night before and pass security before it closes (around 22:30 I think).
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Does the advice in this thread still stand? I have an overnight at ZRH in Sept. I really wanted to stay at the Radisson Blu to avoid the whole shuttle/tram thing but they are fully booked up for a convention that week.

It is a late night in/early morning out so the closest, easiest possible choice. Walkable would be ideal but with the Radisson out, what is the next closest/easiest-to-get-to hotel? Anything I can walk to?

We are arriving from CDG and departing early the following morning to NBO. Would the transit hotel work? Or is it better just to go to the Hilton?

Edit: I see the Hilton is 325 CHF or 50,000 points. Seems steep. Any other suggestions? Marriott? Park Inn? Holiday Inn Express? Something else? Just close and easy to get to.

Last edited by Finkface; Apr 12, 2017 at 11:31 am
Old Apr 12, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Does the advice in this thread still stand? I have an overnight at ZRH in Sept. I really wanted to stay at the Radisson Blu to avoid the whole shuttle/tram thing but they are fully booked up for a convention that week.

It is a late night in/early morning out so the closest, easiest possible choice. Walkable would be ideal but with the Radisson out, what is the next closest/easiest-to-get-to hotel? Anything I can walk to?

We are arriving from CDG and departing early the following morning to NBO. Would the transit hotel work? Or is it better just to go to the Hilton?

Edit: I see the Hilton is 325 CHF or 50,000 points. Seems steep. Any other suggestions? Marriott? Park Inn? Holiday Inn Express? Something else? Just close and easy to get to.
Check Swissotel Oerlikon (next to the train station, 4 minutes from airport) or Novotel Airport (next to tramway station near airport, 2 direct trams to the airport)
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:22 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since you are arriving late and departing early, you will be just sleeping at your hotel. As noted above Swisshotel (next to Oerlikon station) is probably your best bet; from Oerlikon to ZRH airport there are 6 or more trains/hour. In ZRH airport (open until 11 pm, seven days a week), there is a Migros supermarket, lots of items to choose from, even hot food!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Thanks, I am leaning towards the Swissotel as it seems the easiest to get to. How bad is the Transit Hotel in the airport? Looks clean and basic. All we really need is a place to sleep. Is it worth the extra time to go the Swissotel or will the Transit Hotel do, and save us a lot of time both that night and the next morning? Or is it a real dump?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:57 pm

Does the advice in this thread still stand?
Yes.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:04 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I am leaning towards the Swissotel as it seems the easiest to get to. How bad is the Transit Hotel in the airport? Looks clean and basic. All we really need is a place to sleep. Is it worth the extra time to go the Swissotel or will the Transit Hotel do, and save us a lot of time both that night and the next morning? Or is it a real dump?
From the description, showers are centrally located, would imply that you do NOT have a private bath. in 1964 when I first went to Europe, rooms without bath were the norm, fast forward to 2017 I personally want a private bath.
At https://www.zurich-airport.com/passe...hotel-bedrooms you can download the price list and read other restrictions...stay at Swisshotel!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I have always stayed at Park Inn and Holiday Inn Express and found both to be very affordable, with a reasonable shuttle service and plenty of things to walk to if needed.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
I used the Kameha recently, a take on the W brand but a lot cheaper and not as loud. I think it was 6 stops on the tram in Glattpark... very comfy & reasonable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.