Wiki Posts
Search

Sultanhamet with 8 hour IST transit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Sultanhamet with 8 hour IST transit

I'll be arriving IST @ 12:10 on a Tuesday, departing to VIE at 20:00. We would just like to make it over to Aya Sofya and possibly the Basilica Cistern and not be too rushed. Would we be able to accomplish this with Metro or should we just grab a cab? I remember the Metro from the airport being kind of a pain last time I was there (2012), but it looks like there may have been improvements since then?

Also, does anyone have experience with the luggage storage at IST (reliability, amount of time required to drop off/retrieve)? This stop is part of a 4-segment itinerary on 4 different airlines, so I'm hesitant to check a bag if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: *G
metro probably the same time. or faster. there is substantial traffic in ist depending on route and time.

take the m1 right into it, or switch to tram at zeytinburnu

ive never tried airport storage. since you have access to turkish international cip lounge, use the lockers there. ive actually left it overnight with no problem. lounge operates 24hr and they are passcode protected.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
there should be plenty of time to see both Hagia Sophia, and the basilica cistern in that time. Like Deniah said, take the metro from the airport to the city (Yenikapı) and walk through the grand bazaar to Hagia Sophia. The basilica cistern is right across the street from Hagia Sophia.

Happy touristing!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
Thanks for the info - sounds like Metro + tram is the way to go. Great idea about the lounge storage! I hadn't even considered that.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
The problem with the luggage lockers in the CIP lounge is that a. there aren't enough and there are often none available and b. lots of them have broken locks, When you exit the customs are into the main arrival/meet and greet area, turn right. Next to the TK hotel desk is a left luggage operation. I believe it's open 24 hours. I left a bag there for 24 hours and I think it cost just 20 TRY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.