Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to spend 3 nights in Switzerland/Italy/?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to spend 3 nights in Switzerland/Italy/?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by greg5
Of course, Lausanne, Luzern, and Locarno are all different cities. Perhaps you meant Luzern(D), Lucerne(F), Lucerna(I)? In the local dialect, it's also Lozärn.
Firstly, I lived in Switzerland (long time ago), secondly, my sons live in Switzerland, thirdly, I had a Swiss grandmom and, finally, like everybody else in Europe, I know these are different cities. Obviously, some journalist in the US didn't, wrote a stupidity that I considered to be funny and, wanting to share, I wrote in my post was exactly what was in the paper. Why should I be informing FTers that I found out by reading an american newspaper that there are three different languages in Switzerland?

Now, it just came to my mind, are you from Bern? I won't explain that to the non-Swiss!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by KLouis
Firstly, I lived in Switzerland (long time ago), secondly, my sons live in Switzerland, thirdly, I had a Swiss grandmom and, finally, like everybody else in Europe, I know these are different cities. Obviously, some journalist in the US didn't, wrote a stupidity that I considered to be funny and, wanting to share, I wrote in my post was exactly what was in the paper. Why should I be informing FTers that I found out by reading an american newspaper that there are three different languages in Switzerland?

Now, it just came to my mind, are you from Bern? I won't explain that to the non-Swiss!
Heh, I'm actually from Seattle, originally. And it's that I had just woken up, not that I'm from Bern Your earlier prose seemed a bit too serious.

I have known folks that think that all Swiss speak all four official languages here. Oh, and I've been asked if I've learned Swedish yet. By someone who correctly got that I lived in Switzerland and not Sweden!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A former Ambassador to the U.S. -- who was born in France and represented one of the ten largest countries in the world and had been to Sweden and Switzerland (amongst many other places) -- once or twice asked my Stockholm-based Swedish relatives when they were going back to Switzerland ... after talking about the Nobel prizes and the Swedish king (whom I presumed he had met before given his own pedigree and history). I guess I should have chalked it up to old age, since he also talked about how much he liked the mountains in Switzerland.

Originally Posted by KLouis
Completely off-topic:

About 35 years ago in Basel, an American colleague and friend showed me an article on Switzerland, published in a minor US newspaper. It was explained that three languages (missing Romansch) were spoken in the country giving an example: Cities had three names, such as Lausanne in French, Luzern in German and Locarno in Italian!
This is the funniest thing I've read today; I can only imagine how amusing it must have been to read this 35 years ago too.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
This is the funniest thing I've read today; I can only imagine how amusing it must have been to read this 35 years ago too.
I laughed out loud when I read it. The humor was not lost over the years.

Bobette

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.