Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to spend 3 nights in Switzerland/Italy/?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are taking a AMA river cruise on April 6th (Enchanting Rhine) from Basel to Amsterdam. We have 3 nights free prior to our departure and are looking for recommendations in what city to stay.

I have been to France and Italy (Venice, Milan, Florence) but have never been Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, etc...

Given that travel is arduous on my physically, we have to make base camp in one city for 3 nights prior to our embarkation.

What city do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Where are you coming from?

Are you flying into Europe from somewhere?

I see potential options depending on the above:

Geneva
Lausanne
Zurich
Bern

All are within 2-3 hours of Basel by train to board your boat

All have things to see and do in the cities themselves and all have nice little day trips that are 1 hour by train from them. Lucerne is an hour from Zurich, and an hour from Bern, Montreux and Vevey are an hour and a bit from Geneva, 20 minutes from Lausanne.

If you're flying into Germany, then Basel itself might not be a bad option to stay in. Plenty of Switzerland is accessible from Basel on the very efficient Swiss train system.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by atwnsw2
My wife and I are taking a AMA river cruise on April 6th (Enchanting Rhine) from Basel to Amsterdam. We have 3 nights free prior to our departure and are looking for recommendations in what city to stay.

I have been to France and Italy (Venice, Milan, Florence) but have never been Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, etc...

Given that travel is arduous on my physically, we have to make base camp in one city for 3 nights prior to our embarkation.

What city do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.
Stay in Basel to visit a bit of Germany and Switzerland then take some nights at the end to visit a bit of Amsterdam and Holland.

The question though, as asked by Jtraveller, is where are you flying into it? What is your arrival airport?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was in Switzerland in March several years ago. I stayed in Geneva and Vevey. The area around Lake Geneva was beautiful. And you could get up into the mountains on a cog train. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Swiss cities (well, I've never visited Zurich)
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Our flights arrive and depart through Amsterdam. We have a total of 7 nights in Europe prior to cruise. Our plan is to spend 3 nights getting settled/acclimated/exploring Amsterdam. Then spend 3-4 nights in one other city for which I am asking advice.

Last edited by atwnsw2; Dec 29, 2014 at 7:49 am
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:27 am

Our flights arrive and depart through Amsterdam. We have a total of 7 nights in Europe prior to cruise. Our plan is to spend 3 nights getting settled/acclimated/exploring Amsterdam. Then spend 3-4 nights in one other city for which I am asking advice.
Sounds like a good plan, especially as you wrote travel can be arduous on you physically. You could even spend four nights in AMS if you need to get over jet lag.

Assuming then you'll need to fly from AMS to Basel to catch your cruise, I would suggest you fly into Zurich and spend those three or four nights in Lucerne. Or alternatively fly into Basel itself and stay there. They are all relatively close and, with a car, or without one, you can see a lot of the countryside with day trips.

Have a great time !
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Another vote for flying into Zürich and staying in Luzern. You'll only be about an hour by train away from Basel.

That said, there are some fairly nice museums in Basel. There is the whimsical Tinguely museum, and there is also the music museum where you can see various versions of the saxophone before it became what it is today.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Just one more possibility, if you're open to visiting France again: Strasbourg. Beautiful, interesting city with lots to see, workable daytrips (e.g., Colmar), and an easy train ride to Basel.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA, onePass
We vote for Lucerne.......lots of opportunity to get out on the lake and visit surrounding area......spent 3 days there in September 2013 and would not hesitate to return.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Just one more possibility, if you're open to visiting France again: Strasbourg. Beautiful, interesting city with lots to see, workable daytrips (e.g., Colmar), and an easy train ride to Basel.
With the cruise the OP is taking, they might spend some time in Strasbourg.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by greg5
With the cruise the OP is taking, they might spend some time in Strasbourg.
Oops, I missed that.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Lucerne/Luzern is the winner! Thanks everybody.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:51 pm

Lucerne/Luzern is the winner! Thanks everybody.
Completely off-topic:

About 35 years ago in Basel, an American colleague and friend showed me an article on Switzerland, published in a minor US newspaper. It was explained that three languages (missing Romansch) were spoken in the country giving an example: Cities had three names, such as Lausanne in French, Luzern in German and Locarno in Italian!
Old Jan 3, 2015, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Completely off-topic:

About 35 years ago in Basel, an American colleague and friend showed me an article on Switzerland, published in a minor US newspaper. It was explained that three languages (missing Romansch) were spoken in the country giving an example: Cities had three names, such as Lausanne in French, Luzern in German and Locarno in Italian!
Of course, Lausanne, Luzern, and Locarno are all different cities. Perhaps you meant Luzern(D), Lucerne(F), Lucerna(I)? In the local dialect, it's also Lozärn.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Good choice.

Fly into ZRH and take the train (you can take one direct from ZRH airport) to Luzern.

Really pretty place, nice relaxing cruises on Lake Lucerne (Vierwaldstattersee).

Bern is an hour on the train from Luzern, as is Zurich, if you want to have a look at those cities which I'd highly recommend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.