Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brussels - 1 night, where to stay, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

We, self and kid, will have one night in Brussels soon. Never been there before, even though I've made several trips through/around Belgium.

We arrive by air on a Sunday morning, have that day to sight-see, spend the night there, and get a noon train for Den Haag the next day.

What would you do? Atomium? Tour? Kid actually likes museums with sculpture and historical artifacts (loves armor), and has studied both WWI and WWII quite a bit, so museums/displays on them would be of interest. Neither of us care for flemish painting or that cartoon dude (Ajax?).

Hotel - would like moderate/*** not too far from where we'd likely be sightseeing, with decent access to public transportation.

Chocolate shops: where do the locals buy their pralines? Not looking for the priciest, but prefer good quality locally made to Godiva.

Advice appreciated!

Last edited by CDTraveler; Sep 24, 2011 at 1:28 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have not been in Brussels in a few years but I assume not much has changed.
There is good food everywhere; mussels and Belgian fries are a staple as are amazing waffles.
There are tons of chocolate stores with names you have never heard of. I don't know of any particular.
Look at this link; it is the field of the battle of Waterloo. You can get there from Brussels by bus. it has an english website; go to access
http://www.waterloo1815.be/en/waterloo/
I remember going there with my parents
Old Sep 24, 2011, 1:04 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
You would probably want to stay close to the Grand Place and also within walking distance of the main railway station. You will not have any trouble finding historic places and chocolate shops from there. I've stayed at the Scandic Brussels which is definitely three star but quite expensive on Sunday nights because of Scandic members and it's excellent location. A massive breakfast is included though.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, UA Club Lifer, MC Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
And don't forget to see the Manneken-Pis:

"The famous Manneken-Pis remains the emblem of the rebellious spirit of the City of Brussels. His wardrobe counts more than 800 suits. The Museum of the City of Brussels presents one hundred of these suits. A multimedia database allows the visitors to consult the whole wardrobe of the famous 'ketje'."

http://www.brussels.be/artdet.cfm/4328
Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Would definitely schedule time in for Grand Place, a good Belgian waffle, and of the many good restaurants in Brussels.

There are many hotels in the area between the train station and the Grand Place. I have found the hotels there via PL to be reasonable priced and in decent locations.

If you going up to the Hague, I would also try to schedule some time in at the Mauritshuis and MC Escher in Het Peleis as well.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I was there for a similar time about 5 years ago (though got in for the night first, then day before driving out the following evening).

Similar to tsastor I stayed at the Scandic Grand Place (back then it was part of Hilton). Not quite my style in a hotel, but I remember it being a deal compared to my other choices. And the location was excellent. Fine for one night.

That first night I think we had wanted to go to a place called L'Ultime Atome (at least my notes tell me that). But we got there a little later than planned - so but just went to where all the mussels places are next to each other. A picture tells me we ended up at Chez Leon.

Next day we got up early and saw a fair amount of the city before driving out late afternoon. Managed to try the biscuits & cookies at Dandoy and Chocolate at Planete Chocolate.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlnewbie
There are many hotels in the area between the train station and the Grand Place. I have found the hotels there via PL to be reasonable priced and in decent locations.

If you going up to the Hague, I would also try to schedule some time in at the Mauritshuis and MC Escher in Het Peleis as well.
Expedia turns up a variety of places around $100/night near the Grand Place, so will probably opt for one of those. Any particular one you like? or don't like?

In Den Haag, we're more into Madurodam than Escher; my son has vision problems and looking at Escher gives him a migraine, no joke.

Any comments on the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History in Brussels? Website makes it look like a good place for a history fanatic.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Second vote for the Scandic. Excellent breakfast, and location is close to the station, historic square, and restaurants.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Any comments on the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History in Brussels? Website makes it look like a good place for a history fanatic.
Indeed, this is the first place I though about when you mentioned what your son likes.
http://www.klm-mra.be/klm-new/engels/main01.php?id=menu_links/startpagina

On a weekend night (this includes Sunday night) you shouldn't have a problem finding a 4 or 5* hotel at 3* prices. One of my favourites now is the new Aloft, close to the museum above, and on the route of airport bus. It is located in the European district, but a short metro ride from the old town.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:42 pm

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
CDTraveler,

I just checked (they say memory is the first thing to go), and we stayed at the NH Atlanta Brussels, due to Priceline offering ridiculous prices (~50USD). I am not a hotel snob, and this was perfectly fine, and offered American size rooms and I would have gladly payed twice that amount for it. It was near to transit and about halfway between the north train station and the Grand Place, so it made for a good base for most of the activities that we had planned.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Hotel Marivaux - experiences?

Found a way to get a great rate at the Hotel Marivaux with rewards points, and tripadvisor.com gives it a good review. Anybody here been there? Comments?

As a nice bonus, I found out that my rewards points (thankyou.com) also has attraction tickets for better than street prices, so picked up tickets for the hop-on, hop-off tour as well.

Still hoping for pointers to the perfect chocolate shop.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Fantastic place to experience a Belgian beer (and near the Grand Place):

http://www.deliriumcafe.be/

For chocolates, neuhaus is a large producer but also of very high quality. See this location in particular:

http://www.neuhaus.be/en/store-locat...-la-reine.aspx
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Found a way to get a great rate at the Hotel Marivaux with rewards points, and tripadvisor.com gives it a good review. Anybody here been there? Comments?

As a nice bonus, I found out that my rewards points (thankyou.com) also has attraction tickets for better than street prices, so picked up tickets for the hop-on, hop-off tour as well.

Still hoping for pointers to the perfect chocolate shop.
IMHO, Pierre Marcolini is the perfect chocolate shop. We were there last month, and found it to be the best chocolate in Brussels. Please sample the macaroons, they are unbelievable!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by geo1005
Fantastic place to experience a Belgian beer (and near the Grand Place):

http://www.deliriumcafe.be/

For chocolates, neuhaus is a large producer but also of very high quality. See this location in particular:

http://www.neuhaus.be/en/store-locat...-la-reine.aspx
+1 Been there several times. Great store, great location, great chocolate.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
IMHO, Pierre Marcolini is the perfect chocolate shop. We were there last month, and found it to be the best chocolate in Brussels. Please sample the macaroons, they are unbelievable!
I would be delighted to sample their macaroons, don't suppose you have the address handy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.