Wiki Posts
Search

Is this safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Is this safe?

I have searched but struggled to find any worthwhile answers so over to FT.

I am arriving at AUH on Etihad in F at 20.15 and have a onward flight with Qatar in F from terminal 1 at 23.55. I am travelling with the wife so there will want to be checked luggage

So assuming the flight arrives on time will there be plenty of time to clear immigration, collect the bag, recheck-in & clear security in T1?

I suppose in a ideal world I would have liked to used the Etihad arrivals lounge but would that be a tad foolish?

There is an outside chance I could persuade wifey to travel with 2 sets of hand baggage, how strict are Etihad with overweight hand baggage in the apartments?

Thank you in anticipation

M
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:46 pm
Company Representative, Etihad

Originally Posted by antipest
I have searched but struggled to find any worthwhile answers so over to FT.

I am arriving at AUH on Etihad in F at 20.15 and have a onward flight with Qatar in F from terminal 1 at 23.55. I am travelling with the wife so there will want to be checked luggage

So assuming the flight arrives on time will there be plenty of time to clear immigration, collect the bag, recheck-in & clear security in T1?

I suppose in a ideal world I would have liked to used the Etihad arrivals lounge but would that be a tad foolish?

There is an outside chance I could persuade wifey to travel with 2 sets of hand baggage, how strict are Etihad with overweight hand baggage in the apartments?

Thank you in anticipation

M
Hi antipest,

Kindly note that your connecting time will be enough to connect as 1 hour is the minimum connecting time in Abu Dhabi Airport, you don't need to clear immigration as you don't need to leave the airport.

Unfortunately you will not be able to use the Etihad Lounge as your next flight is with Qatar, kindly check with them.

We recommend you to take luggage as per your free baggage allowance to avoid excess baggage charges. *ES

Last edited by EtihadHelp; Jun 27, 2015 at 12:47 am
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by EtihadHelp
Hi antipest,

We recommend you to take luggage as per your free baggage allowance to avoid excess baggage charges. *ES
That's about as tone deaf a response as I've ever seen.

THAT'S what you focus on when the OP asks questions you could easily answer? Are you really the Etihad representative, or is this a joke?

The OP asks about whether he has to pick up luggage and go through immigration with a connecting flight. How about you answer that for him. The OP asks whether his connection time is sufficient. How about you answer that for him. The OP asks whether he will have time to use the lounge. How about you answer that for him.

Wow. Just wow. This is a customer with two F tickets.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:38 am

You can check through onto QR from EY, no need to clear immigration/reclaim baggage/check in.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
@EtihadHelp

REALLY not cool to then sneak back and edit your response rather than being transparent and making a new post.

Tacky. Reflects very poorly on your company.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Doc & Edy
Thank you for your reply/observation. If I can check luggage through that solves the problems, I assumed (wrongly) that there would be no agreement between 2 competitors to interline my luggage.

'Etihad help' may I suggest you change your screen name, it really is not fitting. I did not see your unedited reply however, I have seen from other post replies that you fail to read and correctly digest OP's questions. You are doing more harm than good.

M
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
EY's stated position is that Checking through baggage from origin via AUH as a transit, first flying with EY then on QR, will need a through ticket booked as 1 continuos itinerary, for EY to check through baggage.

As thst involves multi-carriers which are not EY equity partners, only a competent TA can generate such a ticket. If you are on separate tickets, EY's stated position is that you will need to claim and recheck baggage at AUH, which means entering the UAE, which if you had sufficient time would then permit EY arrivals lounge access.
http://www.etihad.com/en-us/faqs/# - look at the FAQ headed does my baggage go all the way through.

You would not have access to EY's departure lounge whether you either (I) stay airside or (ii) go landside to collect bags and then airside again to connect with QR.

If all on one ticket the check in agent at your origin airport should be asked to check bags all the way through to your final destination.

If 2 tickets you will need to enter UAE complying with any applicable visa requirements, collect bags, and recheck.

That's EY's stated policy, reality may differ, but be aware that if on 2 tickets you may need to collect and re-check.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by rjn21
EY's stated position is that Checking through baggage from origin via AUH as a transit, first flying with EY then on QR, will need a through ticket booked as 1 continuos itinerary, for EY to check through baggage.

As thst involves multi-carriers which are not EY equity partners, only a competent TA can generate such a ticket. If you are on separate tickets, EY's stated position is that you will need to claim and recheck baggage at AUH, which means entering the UAE, which if you had sufficient time would then permit EY arrivals lounge access.
http://www.etihad.com/en-us/faqs/# - look at the FAQ headed does my baggage go all the way through.

You would not have access to EY's departure lounge whether you either (I) stay airside or (ii) go landside to collect bags and then airside again to connect with QR.

If all on one ticket the check in agent at your origin airport should be asked to check bags all the way through to your final destination.

If 2 tickets you will need to enter UAE complying with any applicable visa requirements, collect bags, and recheck.

That's EY's stated policy, reality may differ, but be aware that if on 2 tickets you may need to collect and re-check.
I have checked through either way of EY on separate tickets without any questions. And on top, there's a paid service at AUH to retrieve and recheck the baggage on behalf of the passenger without having to clear immigration, but that won't be needed in the case of the OP as only those who need a visa would really benefit from it.

This has been discussed previously on this forum.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:56 am

I second @edy4eva I've checked in from AUH-DOH-CPH-LHR all at once by (I'm assuming) a senior EY agent using THREE separate tickets. 1st leg AUH-DOH in EY J, 2nd DOH-CPH with QR J and 3rd CPH-LHR with BA Y.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver
Good luck to the OP, I hope they do get a through checked bag if they are not on a through ticket.

The stated EY position is EY won't do it, but if it is checked through, good result. If it's not checked through, can't complain as that's EY's stated position.

The key point for the OP is ensuring, if they do check in bags, whether or not they require collection at AUH.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by msian56
I second @edy4eva I've checked in from AUH-DOH-CPH-LHR all at once by (I'm assuming) a senior EY agent using THREE separate tickets. 1st leg AUH-DOH in EY J, 2nd DOH-CPH with QR J and 3rd CPH-LHR with BA Y.
Yes it is possible to thru-check the bags even if they're on separate tickets/PNRs.

However, in the event that you cannot, 3h 40m is plenty of time to clear immigration, claim bags and re-check them.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.

I will just hope to through check my bags and if not it appears I will have enough time to collect luggage, go through immigration & check in for my Qatar flight. Happy days......
Old Jun 28, 2015, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by rjn21
Good luck to the OP, I hope they do get a through checked bag if they are not on a through ticket.

The stated EY position is EY won't do it, but if it is checked through, good result. If it's not checked through, can't complain as that's EY's stated position.

The key point for the OP is ensuring, if they do check in bags, whether or not they require collection at AUH.
Have you actually flown with EY and done anything similar? You're being an arm chair analyst, not so much of an experienced flyer. EY have interline agreements with tons of airlines and they interline/accept interlined bags on separate itineraries. The 'stated' position is either outdated or ill-thought.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
Originally Posted by edy4eva
Have you actually flown with EY and done anything similar? You're being an arm chair analyst, not so much of an experienced flyer. EY have interline agreements with tons of airlines and they interline/accept interlined bags on separate itineraries. The 'stated' position is either outdated or ill-thought.
^
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I'd just like to point out here that it is usually technically possible to interline bags from airline A onto airline B, where A and B can be pretty much any of the airlines out there in operation today, but the right to have your bags interlined only arises when you are travelling on a single ticket that involves a connection between these airlines.

It is increasingly the case that airlines REFUSE to interline bags across separate tickets; some will require that the airlines are in the same alliance; some might require there to be a minimum amount of time at the transfer point; and some refuse point-blank.

An airline that checks a bag through onto a second ticket is assuming liability in the case that the bag should be missing or delayed; this is an onerous liability which most airlines will NOT want to assume when there is no requirement for them to do so.

If Etihad, as so many people have said, are happy to check bags through to different airlines on different tickets, I would not take that as confirmation that this is stated company policy. It could be - and it could just as easily be changed with no notice (like so many other things about the EY experience of late). Or it could just be down to ignorant/unwitting check-in staff who are less likely to refuse a request from a status passenger, for instance.

To the OP: there is probably a reason why you are travelling on separate tickets - it may not have been possible to buy your desired travel on one ticket, or it may have been far more expensive. However, when you decide to travel on separate tickets, you are assuming added risks. You must allow sufficient time between tickets for all eventualities - if your inbound flight is delayed, then you will not be rebooked or carried for free on a later flight to your final destination, because you will have missed your flight on your second, unrelated ticket, and the first airline will have no responsibility to making this up to you.

You must always plan pesimistically when travelling on separate tickets. Assume that your flights will be delayed. Assume that your bags will not be interlined. Assume that you will face long queues at immigration, customs, and check-in for your next flight.

And good luck with your travels!

FINALLY - when you do have a bag interlined across separate tickets, BE SURE TO KEEP THE LUGGAGE RECEIPT, AND MAKE SURE YOU ENQUIRE WITH A STAFF MEMBER OF THE NEXT AIRLINE (and any subsequent "new" airlines) BEFORE BOARDING THE FIRST FLIGHT OF YOUR SECOND TICKET TO ALERT THEM THAT YOU HAVE A BAG IN TRANSIT. The "second" airline won't have been expecting that you have bags in transit - after all, as far as they know, you are actually only starting your day's travel with them - and in many cases, the bag may not be loaded unless you alert them to its existence, despite it being labelled for their flight and handed over to them at the interconnection point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.