Community
Wiki Posts
Search

upgrading with miles (booking classes)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

upgrading with miles (booking classes)

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to air miles etc so forgive me if I ask any stupid questions!

I'm looking at upgrading with miles on Etihad flights to New Delhi from LHR (J to F.) it says the cost is 37,334 miles one way.

I read the T&C and saw this (8.5.1.2 provided space is available on the designated booking classes (I or O))

So my question is, how do you find out in advance if there is indeed space in these booking classes? Expertflyer.com?

Also what would happen if I'd like to only travel F from LHR to AUH and then stick to J from AUH to DEL... how do I found out how many miles will be needed for that first leg? Or is that even possible?

Mat

Last edited by kovsky; Apr 19, 2015 at 11:54 am
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by kovsky
I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to air miles etc so forgive me if I ask any stupid questions!

I'm looking at upgrading with miles on Etihad flights to New Delhi from LHR (J to F.) it says the cost is 37,334 miles one way.

I read the T&C and saw this (8.5.1.2 provided space is available on the designated booking classes (I or O))

So my question is, how do you find out in advance if there is indeed space in these booking classes? Expertflyer.com?

Mat
http://www.etihad.com/en/plan-and-bo...ption-flights/

Search for your flight, if you see a GuestSeat, it means there is space available and you can use miles to upgrade. They also show how many seats are available if any. If not, it will read Sold Out.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlqsko
http://www.etihad.com/en/plan-and-bo...ption-flights/

Search for your flight, if you see a GuestSeat, it means there is space available and you can use miles to upgrade. They also show how many seats are available if any. If not, it will read Sold Out.
The whole way to Delhi there's no availability, but from LHR- AUH there's two seats. Will they allow me to grab these and then fly J from AUH to DEL do you think? If so, how do I find out how much it would cost? The site only quotes the amount of miles needed for a complete reward flight.

Last edited by kovsky; Apr 19, 2015 at 1:37 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:57 pm
Company Representative, Etihad

Hi Guest, please kindly contact our reservation team http://bit.ly/1utCVW1 for further assistance. Thank you! *ZD
Old Apr 19, 2015, 10:54 pm

The whole way to Delhi there's no availability, but from LHR- AUH there's two seats. Will they allow me to grab these and then fly J from AUH to DEL do you think? If so, how do I find out how much it would cost? The site only quotes the amount of miles needed for a complete reward flight.
Search for a flight LHR-DEL, instead of LHR-AUH and AUH-DEL.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:39 am

Programs: QR Gold, TK Gold
a little bit OT but I was wondering if you could waitlist for an upgrade in case award space gets available closer to the flight?

Never booked an upgrade with Etihad before but I know that LH let's you waitlist...so was wondering if Etihad has the same service?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 4:50 am

Hi birsti,

have a look on our website for upgrade options http://bit.ly/1ocJtkS
If you need further assistance please feel free to get in touch with our reservations team directly *LK
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The whole way to Delhi there's no availability, but from LHR- AUH there's two seats. Will they allow me to grab these and then fly J from AUH to DEL do you think?
Absolutely not. If there are no seats available for upgrades on AUH-DEL, then there is no way you can upgrade to a higher cabin. Whether or not you buy 2 upgrades on a different sector (and I don't see how that would even be possible) and hope to "transfer" one of these to a different one, the fact remains that there is no upgrade space on AUH-DEL.

You couldn't just buy two LHR-AUH tickets and then hope to somehow use one of them to talk your way onto a AUH-DEL flight. Same goes for upgrades.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: QR Gold, TK Gold
Originally Posted by EtihadHelp
Hi birsti,

have a look on our website for upgrade options http://bit.ly/1ocJtkS
If you need further assistance please feel free to get in touch with our reservations team directly *LK
Dear Etihad Help!

Thanks for a rather unhelpful reply...if you see that there is a specific question maybe you should answer that question and not post some website that does not provide the answer to that question.

If you are unsure what "waitlisting" means in that context please feel free to get in touch with your reservations team directly to find out what it means.

Best regards.

Last edited by birsti; Apr 20, 2015 at 10:46 am
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Absolutely not. If there are no seats available for upgrades on AUH-DEL, then there is no way you can upgrade to a higher cabin. Whether or not you buy 2 upgrades on a different sector (and I don't see how that would even be possible) and hope to "transfer" one of these to a different one, the fact remains that there is no upgrade space on AUH-DEL.

You couldn't just buy two LHR-AUH tickets and then hope to somehow use one of them to talk your way onto a AUH-DEL flight. Same goes for upgrades.
Whilst I am sure that the above post is correct, I was able to upgrade one sector on my last LHR/MEL flight using miles at the last minute, ie at check in. The process was in no way guaranteed, but in my case it worked, however I was very prepared to hear it was not possible and approached my request with an open mind. If ok, great. If not also quite ok.

My circumstances were probably very different to the OP, as I had a mixed F/J ticket, F on the long sector MEL/AUH return, but J on AUH/LHR return.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: EY Gold AB Gold Europcar Privilege Executive

Also what would happen if I'd like to only travel F from LHR to AUH and then stick to J from AUH to DEL... how do I found out how many miles will be needed for that first leg? Or is that even possible?
Are you sure that 37334 is for an upgrade from Delhi to LHR? I think that is the amount of miles for one sector, possible AUH-LHR??

I think IrishGuy misunderstood what you were asking. It sounds like you have already bought a J ticket for the route and I think you are asking if it is possible to upgrade from J to F on one portion of your trip and then go back down to J on the next sector?

If you have booked a J flight LHR-AUH-DEL and there is availability to upgrade to F on the first sector (LHR-AUH) you are more than entitled to upgrade for the first sector, you will then be back in J on the AUH-DEL sector. If you see availability online and upgrade now then you are confirmed into F, otherwise you can chance it at the airport as grannieflyer did. If there are free seats in the cabin when you are checking in then they will usually be happy to upgrade you.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by minmaguire
Are you sure that 37334 is for an upgrade from Delhi to LHR? I think that is the amount of miles for one sector, possible AUH-LHR??

I think IrishGuy misunderstood what you were asking. It sounds like you have already bought a J ticket for the route and I think you are asking if it is possible to upgrade from J to F on one portion of your trip and then go back down to J on the next sector?

If you have booked a J flight LHR-AUH-DEL and there is availability to upgrade to F on the first sector (LHR-AUH) you are more than entitled to upgrade for the first sector, you will then be back in J on the AUH-DEL sector. If you see availability online and upgrade now then you are confirmed into F, otherwise you can chance it at the airport as grannieflyer did. If there are free seats in the cabin when you are checking in then they will usually be happy to upgrade you.

Just to confirm, the cost for upgrading from J to F, on J sector of my ticket LHR-AUH was 26,334 miles. Seat was available, and my miles available confirmed, but check in still had to come back to confirm enough 'catering' was loaded for an extra F passenger.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by birsti
Dear Etihad Help!

Thanks for a rather unhelpful reply...if you see that there is a specific question maybe you should answer that question and not post some website that does not provide the answer to that question.

If you are unsure what "waitlisting" means in that context please feel free to get in touch with your reservations team directly to find out what it means.

Best regards.
Dear Birsti,

Unfortunately we don't offer a wait listing option for upgrades. Please let us know if you still need a help! Thanks *ES
Old May 16, 2015, 1:06 am

Would anybody be able to suggest a best way to get upgrades with miles when currently all the guestseats are showing as sold out, short of checking in on a daily basis to see if anything has opened up?

1. There is no waitlisting option
2. Tried calling the helpline to ask if they could just 'let me know' when one opens up to which i was told "no"

I've been checking online on a daily basis for about a week now and it's getting quite old. Is this really the only way to get upgrades using miles?
Old May 18, 2015, 3:30 am

No, that is the only way. People will even check every hour, especially in the last 2 weeks leading up to departure, since the seat can pop up at any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.