Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is the A380 Residence Selling?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:47 am

Programs: All of Them
Take the source at its value, but my onboard chef from NRT-AUH in F last week said it was at 60% capacity.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:52 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Given that it was booked at launch, and another TR reporting it was also booked I find this hard to believe.

I have been told, by a source, that it is popular for Emirati shopping trips to London for the weekend. I wouldn't doubt this source given their proximity to sales information.
Who is your source? An anonymous source is as valid as an opinion - we all have one.

Any semi intelligent employee of a company will represent a high demand for their company's products to an outside inquiry, regardless of the truth.

That said, the availability of the residence means nothing to 99.99% of us. If it is empty, someone may get to peek inside for a minute.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:56 pm

Programs: Global Mercenary
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Given that it was booked at launch, and another TR reporting it was also booked I find this hard to believe.
I thought judging based on TR's is hardly a scientific method.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:21 pm

Not sure why the whole fuss about sources and how it's selling. It appears pretty obvious on any GDS.

On the assumption: 1) they do not oversell -

All you need to look for is P inventory on any EY A380 flight. It's either 2 or 0 - theoretically residences should never show "P1"

If it's P2 = it's unsold. If it's P0 it is.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:58 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vj_rama
Who is your source? An anonymous source is as valid as an opinion - we all have one.

Any semi intelligent employee of a company will represent a high demand for their company's products to an outside inquiry, regardless of the truth.

That said, the availability of the residence means nothing to 99.99% of us. If it is empty, someone may get to peek inside for a minute.
My source is very senior, and a very, very close friend.

But sure, make your own uninformed opinion.

Last edited by m0hamed; Apr 20, 2015 at 11:06 pm
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:07 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl
Not sure why the whole fuss about sources and how it's selling. It appears pretty obvious on any GDS.

On the assumption: 1) they do not oversell -

All you need to look for is P inventory on any EY A380 flight. It's either 2 or 0 - theoretically residences should never show "P1"

If it's P2 = it's unsold. If it's P0 it is.
Snap!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: BMI
It was empty on my last flight out (I was in 1H opposite). Personally, I don't think there's that much difference between the residence and the 1st apartment... well not enough to justify the price differential at least.

The living room area is smaller than the apartment. They do have a private bed and shower but there's a shower for the remaining 8 first apartments and didn't have any problems making use of the facilities (no wait required). The only advantage is the separate private bedroom, perhaps good if you're a celebrity and want some privacy but the 1st apartments are very private (more private than the a340s as the wall was higher).

The residence does come with a private 'butler' but I never felt that I had to wait for any service (there were three staff to 8 apartments). The purser on board was explaining with the residence you get your own waiting area in the lounge and you can have a shoe shine on board... not sure it's worth the extra money.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by monkeymagic
The purser on board was explaining with the residence you get your own waiting area in the lounge and you can have a shoe shine on board...
Except if one can drop this much money on a flight, they don't wait, they'll have the private jet and crew wait for them. And they wouldn't care if a shoe shining service is provided onboard since they will already have a wardrobe -brought onboard if it's a chartered flight.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:54 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by monkeymagic
It was empty on my last flight out (I was in 1H opposite). Personally, I don't think there's that much difference between the residence and the 1st apartment... well not enough to justify the price differential at least.

The living room area is smaller than the apartment. They do have a private bed and shower but there's a shower for the remaining 8 first apartments and didn't have any problems making use of the facilities (no wait required). The only advantage is the separate private bedroom, perhaps good if you're a celebrity and want some privacy but the 1st apartments are very private (more private than the a340s as the wall was higher).

The residence does come with a private 'butler' but I never felt that I had to wait for any service (there were three staff to 8 apartments). The purser on board was explaining with the residence you get your own waiting area in the lounge and you can have a shoe shine on board... not sure it's worth the extra money.
My thoughts exactly, the Apartment can be had for less than $6,000 roundtrip and is a brilliant product.

I had quite a well known celebrity across the aisle from me in 3A, he had the cabin crew make the bed before takeoff, then as soon as the seatbelt sign went off he shut the doors and I didn't see him until we landed at AUH.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Wheels Up, Inspirato Pass, Marriott Titanium Elt, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres, Ntl P
Originally Posted by vj_rama

When I flew an apartment back in January they wouldn't even let me look at the residence even though it was empty
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: QR-G/OWS, QF-G, VA-G, NZ-S
Originally Posted by Often1
Bear in mind that it is a brilliant branding device whether it sells or not.

But, from a branding perspective, people think that every seat on every aircraft is pure luxury.
10 seats across in Y on many long haul aircraft types rudely awakens the blinded to the spin and hype
The froth and bubble of EY marketing rudely pops Seated- mid ways back like a battery hen... in coach
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Townshend
When I flew an apartment back in January they wouldn't even let me look at the residence even though it was empty
They cannot do it by the company rules but there has been an exceptions
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:30 pm

Apparently US flights are in demand.

http://www.traveller.com.au/etihad-a...-the-us-giltha
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I looked at it from SYD to Abu Dhabi one way and it was AUD$27,000 for 2 of us. It was cheaper for us to do that than have 2 of us in First Class.

I saw Danni Minogue doing a spiel on it and from the camera angles of this it looked really small and ok... not super glamorous. The bed looked small and a tight fit for 2 people.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I looked at it from SYD to Abu Dhabi one way and it was AUD$27,000 for 2 of us. It was cheaper for us to do that than have 2 of us in First Class.

I saw Danni Minogue doing a spiel on it and from the camera angles of this it looked really small and ok... not super glamorous. The bed looked small and a tight fit for 2 people.
Danni shows a mock up, not the real aircraft, however you are right, the bed is small for 2 pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.