How is the A380 Residence Selling?

Old Apr 20, 15, 5:47 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: ATL
Programs: All of Them
Posts: 504
Take the source at its value, but my onboard chef from NRT-AUH in F last week said it was at 60% capacity.
Richklhs is offline  
Old Apr 20, 15, 7:52 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: Global Mercenary
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Given that it was booked at launch, and another TR reporting it was also booked I find this hard to believe.

I have been told, by a source, that it is popular for Emirati shopping trips to London for the weekend. I wouldn't doubt this source given their proximity to sales information.
Who is your source? An anonymous source is as valid as an opinion - we all have one.

Any semi intelligent employee of a company will represent a high demand for their company's products to an outside inquiry, regardless of the truth.

That said, the availability of the residence means nothing to 99.99% of us. If it is empty, someone may get to peek inside for a minute.
vj_rama is offline  
Old Apr 20, 15, 7:56 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Programs: Global Mercenary
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Given that it was booked at launch, and another TR reporting it was also booked I find this hard to believe.
I thought judging based on TR's is hardly a scientific method.
vj_rama is offline  
Old Apr 20, 15, 9:21 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 1,837
Not sure why the whole fuss about sources and how it's selling. It appears pretty obvious on any GDS.

On the assumption: 1) they do not oversell -

All you need to look for is P inventory on any EY A380 flight. It's either 2 or 0 - theoretically residences should never show "P1"

If it's P2 = it's unsold. If it's P0 it is.
TGflyergirl is offline  
Old Apr 20, 15, 10:58 pm
  #20  
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,842
Originally Posted by vj_rama View Post
Who is your source? An anonymous source is as valid as an opinion - we all have one.

Any semi intelligent employee of a company will represent a high demand for their company's products to an outside inquiry, regardless of the truth.

That said, the availability of the residence means nothing to 99.99% of us. If it is empty, someone may get to peek inside for a minute.
My source is very senior, and a very, very close friend.

But sure, make your own uninformed opinion.

Last edited by m0hamed; Apr 20, 15 at 11:06 pm
m0hamed is offline  
Old Apr 20, 15, 11:07 pm
  #21  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,842
Originally Posted by TGflyergirl View Post
Not sure why the whole fuss about sources and how it's selling. It appears pretty obvious on any GDS.

On the assumption: 1) they do not oversell -

All you need to look for is P inventory on any EY A380 flight. It's either 2 or 0 - theoretically residences should never show "P1"

If it's P2 = it's unsold. If it's P0 it is.
Snap!
m0hamed is offline  
Old Apr 22, 15, 2:42 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Programs: BMI
Posts: 392
It was empty on my last flight out (I was in 1H opposite). Personally, I don't think there's that much difference between the residence and the 1st apartment... well not enough to justify the price differential at least.

The living room area is smaller than the apartment. They do have a private bed and shower but there's a shower for the remaining 8 first apartments and didn't have any problems making use of the facilities (no wait required). The only advantage is the separate private bedroom, perhaps good if you're a celebrity and want some privacy but the 1st apartments are very private (more private than the a340s as the wall was higher).

The residence does come with a private 'butler' but I never felt that I had to wait for any service (there were three staff to 8 apartments). The purser on board was explaining with the residence you get your own waiting area in the lounge and you can have a shoe shine on board... not sure it's worth the extra money.
monkeymagic is offline  
Old Apr 22, 15, 7:45 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: KYE
Posts: 4,141
Originally Posted by monkeymagic View Post
The purser on board was explaining with the residence you get your own waiting area in the lounge and you can have a shoe shine on board...
Except if one can drop this much money on a flight, they don't wait, they'll have the private jet and crew wait for them. And they wouldn't care if a shoe shining service is provided onboard since they will already have a wardrobe -brought onboard if it's a chartered flight.
edy4eva is offline  
Old Apr 23, 15, 3:54 am
  #24  
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 316
Originally Posted by monkeymagic View Post
It was empty on my last flight out (I was in 1H opposite). Personally, I don't think there's that much difference between the residence and the 1st apartment... well not enough to justify the price differential at least.

The living room area is smaller than the apartment. They do have a private bed and shower but there's a shower for the remaining 8 first apartments and didn't have any problems making use of the facilities (no wait required). The only advantage is the separate private bedroom, perhaps good if you're a celebrity and want some privacy but the 1st apartments are very private (more private than the a340s as the wall was higher).

The residence does come with a private 'butler' but I never felt that I had to wait for any service (there were three staff to 8 apartments). The purser on board was explaining with the residence you get your own waiting area in the lounge and you can have a shoe shine on board... not sure it's worth the extra money.
My thoughts exactly, the Apartment can be had for less than $6,000 roundtrip and is a brilliant product.

I had quite a well known celebrity across the aisle from me in 3A, he had the cabin crew make the bed before takeoff, then as soon as the seatbelt sign went off he shut the doors and I didn't see him until we landed at AUH.
Gabrca is offline  
Old Jul 21, 15, 11:56 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat, Marriott PP, Hertz, JetSmarter
Posts: 238
Originally Posted by vj_rama View Post
Who is your source? An anonymous source is as valid as an opinion - we all have one.

Any semi intelligent employee of a company will represent a high demand for their company's products to an outside inquiry, regardless of the truth.

That said, the availability of the residence means nothing to 99.99% of us. If it is empty, someone may get to peek inside for a minute.
When I flew an apartment back in January they wouldn't even let me look at the residence even though it was empty
Townshend is offline  
Old Jul 22, 15, 7:30 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PNH and HBA
Programs: QR-G/OWS, NZ G/*AG
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Bear in mind that it is a brilliant branding device whether it sells or not.

But, from a branding perspective, people think that every seat on every aircraft is pure luxury.
10 seats across in Y on many long haul aircraft types rudely awakens the blinded to the spin and hype
The froth and bubble of EY marketing rudely pops Seated- mid ways back like a battery hen... in coach
AVIATORPJ is offline  
Old Jul 22, 15, 1:57 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Posts: 833
Originally Posted by Townshend View Post
When I flew an apartment back in January they wouldn't even let me look at the residence even though it was empty
They cannot do it by the company rules but there has been an exceptions
Jaenks is offline  
Old Jul 27, 15, 7:30 pm
  #28  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,842
Apparently US flights are in demand.

http://www.traveller.com.au/etihad-a...-the-us-giltha
m0hamed is offline  
Old Jul 27, 15, 8:35 pm
  #29  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Posts: 13,064
I looked at it from SYD to Abu Dhabi one way and it was AUD$27,000 for 2 of us. It was cheaper for us to do that than have 2 of us in First Class.

I saw Danni Minogue doing a spiel on it and from the camera angles of this it looked really small and ok... not super glamorous. The bed looked small and a tight fit for 2 people.
Annalisa12 is online now  
Old Jul 27, 15, 10:19 pm
  #30  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SYD
Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Posts: 6,842
Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I looked at it from SYD to Abu Dhabi one way and it was AUD$27,000 for 2 of us. It was cheaper for us to do that than have 2 of us in First Class.

I saw Danni Minogue doing a spiel on it and from the camera angles of this it looked really small and ok... not super glamorous. The bed looked small and a tight fit for 2 people.
Danni shows a mock up, not the real aircraft, however you are right, the bed is small for 2 pax.
m0hamed is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: