Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Etihad refuses to honor 300 First-Class fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

http://translate.google.com/translat...por-error.html

Etihad gate 300 high-end tickets at low prices sold by mistake
The tickets were sold for flights between Spain and Australia | The affected doubt the legality of the action taken by the national airline of UAE, who acted unilaterally

Between 23 and 24 October, Etihad Airways, an airline of United Arab Emirates made ​​a mistake. A timely decision on its website, which spread to other sites selling generic tickets. The website of the airline offered bussiness class tickets, first and mix departing from Madrid, Barcelona and Sydney or Melbourne bound for a pittance. Users took it as one of those rare deals that occasionally appear on the network. And comment on social networks and forums. Over 300 people bought tickets, all high-end, and an average price of 315 euros, when 3,000-are usually those of bussiness - and 7000-the first of -.

Etihad took the offer as an unfortunate mistake. But as has been LaVanguardia.com know, ten days after its decision to admit the company has unilaterally canceled the tickets sold. In return, offered users several options: return of the ticket price plus a premium of 250 euros, exchange the ticket canceled by an economy class ticket or buy high-end with a discount of 35%. Translated into euros, the ticket was offered for 2092 Bussines euros in the First Division by 4576. In its offer Etihad was not offered to compensate the damage caused travelers.

Users have had to make decisions conditional chaotic, also in view of some of the tickets were purchased for travel within a very short time. In fact, one of the victims came to take the flight he had bought. Once in Brussels, where the plane was on a scale, an operator of the company announced the cancellation of his ticket, and explained the options right there that he had, or change of class, or you repaid the amount, or paid to keep the high-end ticket already purchased.

Some of those affected have told LaVanguardia.com who lament the cancellation has meant losing their hotel reservations, and even business meetings whose losses are estimated in thousands of euros. And above all, lament the fraud. The ticket purchase was legal and the company assumed its error. And in the note purchase agreement, the error in the price offered is not one of the clauses provided for the cancellation. Some believe that sets a dangerous precedent: "A company may cancel tickets if it considers that mass has sold too cheap."

Any communication with the company concerned has concluded the same way: with Etihad submitting your complaint to their legal services. For now, involved fifty have come together to jointly sue the company of UAE.
Original in Spanish: http://www.lavanguardia.com/economia...por-error.html
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Welcome to FlyerTalk EY_is_wrong ,

I am moving this thread to the Other Middle East & Africa airlines & frequent flyer programmes forum, its natural home within the FlyerTalk forum structure, where you should find knowledgeable posters who can address the issue you have raised. Thanks for your understanding.

With best regards,

Jouy31
TRavelBuzz moderator
Old Nov 6, 2011, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Amazing that they are offering a premium of 250 euros, or a discount of 35% on a new ticket. American and European carriers would not even do that.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by EY_is_wrong
http://translate.google.com/translat...por-error.html

Etihad gate 300 high-end tickets at low prices sold by mistake

Original in Spanish: http://www.lavanguardia.com/economia...por-error.html
From your name
I guess you purchased these tickets?

Last edited by tinkybelle; Nov 6, 2011 at 8:31 pm
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
From your name
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'm in two minds about this kind of thing happening. I think there are some people who genuinely thought they were getting a good deal who don't know what a first class ticket costs internationally. Then there are the people that know its a mistake and take advantage of it. I don't know how cheap the fare was, but I'm thinking the majority of the people who booked knew it was a mistake so i'm not sure why people are disgruntled when its rectified.

As far as the OP's name, either they just registered to post this, or they are another Flyertalk member who didn't want to post on their main account. Not sure EY_is_wrong is a great name for a frequent flyer forum.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
From your name
Yes.

Originally Posted by SighMN
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'm in two minds about this kind of thing happening. I think there are some people who genuinely thought they were getting a good deal who don't know what a first class ticket costs internationally. Then there are the people that know its a mistake and take advantage of it. I don't know how cheap the fare was, but I'm thinking the majority of the people who booked knew it was a mistake so i'm not sure why people are disgruntled when its rectified.

As far as the OP's name, either they just registered to post this, or they are another Flyertalk member who didn't want to post on their main account. Not sure EY_is_wrong is a great name for a frequent flyer forum.
I am not a regular poster in this forum (yet I have read it some times).

What really striked me is Etihad's PR policy... that has been quite shameful... they have tried to intimidate their customers telling us that whether we take this to the press (this has jumped already to the Spanish press) they would take lawsuit against us. Actually we received an e-mail with a PDF signed by a Spanish law office.

Reality check... we have free press in the Western world... fortunately we don't live in a dictatorship with government controlled press as probably the United Arab Emirates is.

Also, they waited for 2 weeks to cancel the tickets... (from Oct. 24 to Nov. 3). They cancel them just after the first person flew. Why don't do it 1 or 2 days after?

I can imagine BA or AA not honouring those tickets (I know this happened to them before), yet I cannot imagine some PR guy at BA telling their customers that they would take them to court if they tell The Guardian or The Times what has truly happened.

And that's a big difference. Etihad has lost its legitimacy trying to intimidate us.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
Amazing that they are offering a premium of 250 euros, or a discount of 35% on a new ticket. American and European carriers would not even do that.
Not really... maybe the Spanish translation is wrong.

They are offering a discount of 250 euros in a future purchase, not cash-back.

Considering that most people who bought tickets are based in Spain, that's pretty useless.

Etihad does not operate in Spain, and they basically sell tickets to any European gateway, and from there, they connect to Madrid or Barcelona with European airlines (at least Iberia, British, Brussels and Lufthansa).

So any Etihad combination from Spain is a) extremely expensive and b) extremely long (it makes 2 stopovers... MAD-Europe-AUH-destination). So the 250 euro discount is really useless, you will always get a cheaper price, better connection times and less scales (1 stopover) with EK or QR from MAD. Even if your destination from Madrid is Abu Dhabi, you better fly Emirates to Dubai direct and then the bus/taxi.

Eventually someone can use it, but by what percentage? 1, 2%? At 300 people... that's 250 x 3/6 = 750/1500 euros from Etihad?

This is not Delta giving away 250 USD refund for customers in Atlanta, or BA giving 250 GBP for customers based in London
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Originally Posted by EY_is_wrong
Not really... maybe the Spanish translation is wrong.

They are offering a discount of 250 euros in a future purchase, not cash-back.

Considering that most people who bought tickets are based in Spain, that's pretty useless.

Etihad does not operate in Spain, and they basically sell tickets to any European gateway, and from there, they connect to Madrid or Barcelona with European airlines (at least Iberia, British, Brussels and Lufthansa).

So any Etihad combination from Spain is a) extremely expensive and b) extremely long (it makes 2 stopovers... MAD-Europe-AUH-destination). So the 250 euro discount is really useless, you will always get a cheaper price, better connection times and less scales (1 stopover) with EK or QR from MAD. Even if your destination from Madrid is Abu Dhabi, you better fly Emirates to Dubai direct and then the bus/taxi.

Eventually someone can use it, but by what percentage? 1, 2%? At 300 people... that's 250 x 3/6 = 750/1500 euros from Etihad?

This is not Delta giving away 250 USD refund for customers in Atlanta, or BA giving 250 GBP for customers based in London
So you book a mistake fare, dont share,
and then want us to come to your defence
you obviously knew it was a mistake or you would not say.
As you have just joined as EY_ is_wrong in november 2011 with 1 post-this first post,
I am not a regular poster in this forum (yet I have read it some times). but say you are not a regular poster in THIS FORUM,
I guess you have another handle on FT?

Last edited by aussielori; Nov 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA, LH, HH, AX
I personally thought that it was a promotional offer, to gain market share in the Spanish market. I bought the tickets, and I made an enquiry to be sure that Etihad was for real and I was holding valid tickets. They answered me by email that they would honor the reservations. ^

What upsets me is not the fact that they downgrade or cancel the tickets after they realise their mistake. What annoys me is the fact that they enter into a binding contract (their confirmation e-mail voids any claim of invalidity due to "obvious mistakes") and then 10 days later they decide to cancel the contract unilateraly.

For an airline this is a great business model: sell tickets at a discounted price; if you see that demand increases and you will be able to sell the same seats at a higher price, then cancel the previous reservation; otherwise, take the money from the first client, because he is not allowed to cancel unilaterally. Luckily for us, this is illegal in Europe AFAIK.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC E, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by viriato
I personally thought that it was a promotional offer, to gain market share in the Spanish market. I bought the tickets, and I made an enquiry to be sure that Etihad was for real and I was holding valid tickets. They answered me by email that they would honor the reservations. ^
Viriato, if only you shared this deal with fellow FTers back then, more of us will have personal stakes and support your position.

Btw, welcome to FT.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by viriato

What upsets me is not the fact that they downgrade or cancel the tickets after they realise their mistake. What annoys me is the fact that they enter into a binding contract (their confirmation e-mail voids any claim of invalidity due to "obvious mistakes") and then 10 days later they decide to cancel the contract unilateraly.

For an airline this is a great business model: sell tickets at a discounted price; if you see that demand increases and you will be able to sell the same seats at a higher price, then cancel the previous reservation; otherwise, take the money from the first client, because he is not allowed to cancel unilaterally. Luckily for us, this is illegal in Europe AFAIK.
Im sorry, but if you even know about this site you probably aren't that naive to think the fares were promotional when they were 300 Euro and cheaper than the economy tickets. Its a poor business model because 300 Euro for first class to Sydney is 4% of the normal cost. You aren't even attracting the right people by this mistake. Etihad has some great first class fares (some cheaper than other airlines business class), but they still are at least 3-4 times economy. Not even an cash upgrade from the airport would be 300 Euro from the airport.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 2:16 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Im sorry, but if you even know about this site you probably aren't that naive to think the fares were promotional when they were 300 Euro and cheaper than the economy tickets. Its a poor business model because 300 Euro for first class to Sydney is 4% of the normal cost. You aren't even attracting the right people by this mistake. Etihad has some great first class fares (some cheaper than other airlines business class), but they still are at least 3-4 times economy. Not even an cash upgrade from the airport would be 300 Euro from the airport.
Agreed! Me thinks a case of knowing its a mistake, but what the hell try your luck.... Then allowing your mind to believe you have actually scored a bargain (ie card debited, confirmation arrives) and by that time you have BS'd your own mind into thinking you are actually going to get away with it. AND THEN DISAPPOINTMENT.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Well for 356€ you can take a flight from CDG - Tokyo return. So if you can use the 250€ for that it's quite a good deal.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Im sorry, but if you even know about this site
There are requirements to "know about this site?" You do realize that people can google certain terms ("Etihad 300 mistake fare") and be directed right here, right?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:45 pm

Programs: EY-Gold LH-SEN AA-Gold HHonors-Gold National-ES
You may want to contact a spanish or EU consumer protection agency on this.

If they issued you a J class ticket after you paid then you have a case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.