Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Compensation iro UE regulation 261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:52 am
Original Poster

On 2 July 2007, I was due to fly from Heathrow to Dubai on Emirates flight EK006. The flight was scheduled to depart from Heathrow at 22:15, but because it only landed at Heathrow very much later than expected, it was unable to be serviced and depart before Heathrow‘s Jet Curfew. As a result, the flight was cancelled and we had to sleep on the floors at Heathrow.

I have taken this matter up with Emirates but they deny any liability and blame the cancellation on Heathrow’s jet curfew. In their own words, they are not liable for “air traffic management decisions which cause for a flight to be delayed and /or cancelled” I argue that the Heathrow’s jet curfew is a long standing rule that they were aware of up-front and if their flight EK006 had landed at Heathrow on time, it could have taken off on schedule and need not have been cancelled. I am seeking compensation directly from Emirates, and they are blaming Heathrow for the cancellation.

Any comments?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
johntron, welcome to Flyertalk!

This thread is better suited to the Emirates Airlines forum so I'm going to transfer it there.

Please follow at it's new location.

Trhanks.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Was it a cancellation or a delay? If it was a cancellation you can EU compensation (as far as I know) from EK whereas if it was an overnight delay you can claim hotel and food costs. When did you end up leaving Heathrow?

Cheers
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: LH, SA, AA
If the flight was canceled you're due compensation under the EU regulations unless the cancellation was beyond EK's control (that usually would apply to weather issues, no idea how an airports curfew does apply to this rule). In any case under said regulation they would have had to provide accommodation, meals/drinks and 2 phonecalls/emails/facsimiles.

If in doubt you can simply e-mail the respective authority in the UK and inquire about this. I had a similar case in leaving Germany and the German Bundesluftfahrtsamt which is responsible for this regulation in Germany was more than helpful with information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.