Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Leaving the airport from the F lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM

Hi, my family of 4 are flying MEL-DXB-LHR on Qantas in F. My wife and daughter are on the through service with a 2 hour layover in DXB. My son and I are on the same flight to DXB, but have a 20 hour layover before carrying on to LHR. Is it possible for us all to arrive in DXB, clear security as transit passengers, have a meal together in the F lounge and then for my son and I to leave the airport for a few hours?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
I can't think of any reason why you would not be able to do this as long as you have the ability to get a Dubai visa. You certainly could do all of this if you were flying EK. It shouldn't be an issue getting through security or into the lounge. Long transits seem to be very common at DXB IME. I am sure the rest of the group here will chime in if I am missing something. Otherwise, enjoy your flights, the meal together and Dubai!
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
I wouldn't see why not, esp if no hold luggage to collect. Could be wrong, no doubt will soon find out.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:15 pm

The question is how to go landside from the lounge. In IST, for example, this is quite tricky.

Shuly
Old Nov 30, 2016, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuly
The question is how to go landside from the lounge...
Yes, this is what I am asking about. We don't need a visa or to collect bags.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jlsw7
Yes, this is what I am asking about. We don't need a visa or to collect bags.
You need to go back down to transit security and go through it in reverse to get to immigration.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:20 am
Original Poster

thanks
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Qatar Platinum
I've done it before. As stated above, you just need to go back to transit security (any of them - although I always find it easier to get to the central one in concourse B as it is then closest to immigration), and although there is no obvious 'way out' just approach one of the people metal detectors in use and indicate to the security guy you want out. It has never been a problem and you are sent through (setting off all the alarms).

Then you just continue to 'arrivals/baggage reclaim' as if you had just landed, and go through immigration.

Your onward boarding pass will get you back in when you wish.

FYI - there's a decent secure 'left luggage' area if you wanted to leave some of your carry-on at the airport to go and explore Dubai. After you walk past the baggage reclaim and exit customs, turn left and walk on a bit. Just don't forget to get a ticket from the machine as soon as you get there to be served in order.

Depending on time of day arrival, I'd recommend getting the metro through to the Burj Khalifa station, good views most of the way, and plenty to do in Dubai Mall.

Have fun
Old Dec 1, 2016, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stephenk82
Have fun
Thanks - I think my son will probably want to go to Atlantis waterpark (and so do I )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.