Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK First vs EK J-class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:16 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by 9wings
I think my alliance status on the left proves that wrong.

And no I'm not saying people with more experience are wrong either. I'm just saying we can agree to disagree on certain things I find lacking with EK.
Silver? You can get that with one return trip!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by m3red
I got *A Gold from a status match a few months ago on TK. Haven't flown TK in 10 years!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:37 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
I don't have a Flightradar24 sub. If you (or someone) has one, please check EK8 at 9:05 AM from LHR to DXB on Friday the 7th of October. Then we'll all know how creaky old my plane was! Ta.
You can look that up on theeksource.com. EK8 on 7/10/2016 was A6-EDV.
First flight was 28/10/2011, delivered to EK 30/07/2012, in service (to LHR) on 1/08/2016.
Of course not a new A380, but the oldest one still flying, A6-EDA was delivered to EK on 28/07/2008.
FWIW: My latest A380 flight was on A6-EDH (delivered 28/05/2010) which was fine (in J).
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I got *A Gold from a status match a few months ago on TK. Haven't flown TK in 10 years!
See the comments I made in my lengthy post #15.

M
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Skywards Gold
We all have to start somewhere.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
EK8 on 7/10/2016 was A6-EDV.
First flight was 28/10/2011, delivered to EK 30/07/2012
Ta for that. So the "ancient" aircraft I was on is a mere five years old.

Shudder to be using one from 2008 - but they are the jallopies they are not flying to pieces between Dubai and Doha I bet. No second hand value for A380s so might as well do silly things like that.

I probably takes longer to clear them each end than they are in the air!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
See the comments I made in my lengthy post #15.

M
Sorry, I don't see the connection?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:43 am

The last Y class I flew on TK between IST and LHR was three months old. Perhaps because you sit a lot closer to said little screen it APPEARS of better resolution. Without seeing these side by side I can't say. I'll maintain that to my eyes all the screens I've had on EK in Y, J and F were of iffy resolution. Perhaps just how my eyes focus. Or don't.

I read your first reply as impying all EK screens are superior to anything else. Apologies if I misread that statement... but I've learnt quickly on this forum that within each airline forum you can say anything and the stalwarts that only believe in said airlines will not agree with whatever you state. Just how Apple people see Apple products with their own special pair of blinkers. Nothing wrong with that per se. You just need to read things with filters on I guess.

As to my statement on limited movie choice. I stand corrected. If you can now also see women's bare breasts on an EK flight then well, what can I say. In my experience I've struggled to find things to watch. And no I have varied taste in my movies and I'm not just after some obscure form of German leather clad 1970s stuff. Having a huge back catalogue is fine, but when you can't find new things to watch, my default reaction is "limited choice". I don't care about the 2,000 movies I could have chosen if I wanted to watch old stuff.

But back OT: do I tell the story of how the YC crew member brought in from Y to the JF bar tried to make me a Martini in a whiskey glass, with a double shot of Martini and an oily olive? I stopped him when he was about to add a dash of gin... Bless. I later heard he doesn't drink and also stored the red wine in an ice bucket. The Irish FA that told me this at least made my second Martini with the correct proportions of gin and with a cocktail olive suitable to submerge in said gin drink.

Oops that was not OT. OK worst thing about the visit to the bar was there was an F passenger in there on a DAY FLIGHT wearing his PJs and slippers and talking very loudly. How crass.
Luckily, the IFE and menu selections are available to browse per individual flight which means people can prepare their own entertainment if they can't find something suitable:

http://www.emirates.com/english/flyi...rtainment.aspx

Perhaps some movies/tv shows are not given to EK in high enough resolution, but certainly the latest hardware itself is capable of acceptable HD resolution - so watching low-res video might explain why it feels poor (as anyone watching old movies that haven't been remastered on shiny 4K screens will attest to).

I do agree with you boorish behaviour at the bar with pj's on is really not good behaviour though
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:50 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Sorry, I don't see the connection?
In terms of the TK status-match

M
Old Nov 28, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
In terms of the TK status-match

M
Found it... quick scan missed it. hehe
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:42 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
I was Skywards Silver and had never stepped foot on an Emirates Aircraft in my flying life. Felt a bit cringey when the crew member welcomed me back on my first ever flight with them.

S
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Saltire74
I was Skywards Silver and had never stepped foot on an Emirates Aircraft in my flying life. Felt a bit cringey when the crew member welcomed me back on my first ever flight with them.

S
Same here Awkward!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Saltire74

S
Be lucky to get a greeting as a silver these days given how many status pax are on each flight!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by vytas315
Same here Awkward!
Well the process (when it happens) is all a bit of a charade really, so I don't think it really matters whether you're a 'genuine' EK regular or not

The welcome-back greeting can be nice IF delivered in a totally natural, warm manner ; but in most cases it's the equivalent of getting a cut & paste standardised letter which purports to be personalised.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 10:07 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
F me. I hope I never meet the OP in real life. Turn on the telly, live in the real world.

Anyone who compares BA F with EK F and somehow comes out with BA on top must have had a very large bang on the head.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.