Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

A380 Upper Deck Transfomed into Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 Upper Deck Transfomed into Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:54 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
The other thing I noticed about the aircraft is that the upper deck is much better than the lower deck if travelling in Y.

2+4+2 seating and separate boarding for y pax in the upper deck.

Perfect for couples/2 pax travelling in Y as there is no one else next to you.

Better than my last experience of a middle seat in J on a 777 :-(
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:57 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
I can see this causing some disquiet amongst 'Y' passengers, especially if they are aware of the free bar for use by business class passengers
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
On the 777's the Y pax frequently sneak up and use the J toilets.

However they only have to pass through 4 rows of J seats to reach the toilets.

On the A380 its a very long trek to the 4 toilets on the back.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by steveben53
I can see this causing some disquiet amongst 'Y' passengers, especially if they are aware of the free bar for use by business class passengers
What like look what you could have for had you paid the J fare?

Most people wouldn't try, I guess there will be some but I'm sure the crew keep an eye out.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by badgersfly
Does anyone yet have experience in how they are policing/preventing Y pax from going back to the bar?
Y pax have go to through one galley and through an empty Y cabin in normal operation through a curtain to the back of the plane.

Obviously it is easier if the 2nd upper deck Y cabin is in use.

However, give the crew some credit - there's only around 50 J pax on the 2 class: it's easy to notice someone who wasn't seated in J when they suddenly appear!
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by steveben53
I think the number of Y pax who suffer from serious envy problems is massively overstated on FT

I think it's more realistic to think that out of the minuscule number of Y pax who even care about what other pax have paid or their travel class, they split into:

- "wow, look at these idiots paying 4x what we did and all they get is a slightly bigger seat and nicer booze, what a waste of money for 6-12 hours"

- "yeah, they paid for business (or first), that's what they get...so what?"
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
My last flight on EK was on a 2 class A380.

As previous posters mentioned there is a curtain behind the Y section .

I was at the back near the bar and a Y pax had managed to sneak into the bar area while the crew at front were busy and was told to go back.

I don't know how they came to know that he wasn't a J pax.He knew the aircraft layout well and was very confident unlike some of the J pax who were looking around for the toilets near the emergency exits ;-)

Not sure how this is enforced in the front of the J cabin as I don't think its physically possible for a crew member to be there 24/7 keeping an eye on the curtain .
I guess on any given flight there will be the very occasional push-their-luck types ..... the sort of folk who like to access benefits enjoyed by others but without the inconvenience of actually paying like others.

If it ever got to the point where it became a significant issue, then I can see the possibility of B/P's being requested at the bar. But I think EK - and legitimate pax - would much prefer to avoid that, and I think crew will generally keep a beady eye out for any offenders.

All that said, I would agree that the overwhelming majority (maybe 98% even) of Y pax are well-behaved and fall into one of the two categories described above (post #21) by eternaltransit
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:00 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by subject2load
But I think EK - and legitimate pax - would much prefer to avoid that, and I think crew will generally keep a beady eye out as for any offenders.
It's quit easy to identify the Y passengers. They dress funny and smell slightly of sick.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It's quit easy to identify the Y passengers. They dress funny and smell slightly of sick.
That's the J pax, the Y pax are all wearing tshirts, backpacks and sandals.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:58 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Sometimes, F pax is accompanied by a very young south east Asian woman. Just saw that this week at DXB. And she was definitively not his daughter. Maybe a nanny, but there was no kid around.
I won't go as far as saying that he was speaking german.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:41 am

Uh oh. Everyone must think I am a y pax when I walk on the plane to my j seat!
I just flew AF biz for the first time and they have a very clear sign on the wall next to the curtains between j and F that warns that F is ahead and it is restricted. I wonder if EK will put up the same type of sign??
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by badgersfly
Uh oh. Everyone must think I am a y pax when I walk on the plane to my j seat!
I just flew AF biz for the first time and they have a very clear sign on the wall next to the curtains between j and F that warns that F is ahead and it is restricted. I wonder if EK will put up the same type of sign??
I'm debating my Friday outfit
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by m3red
I'm debating my Friday outfit
What's that a euphemism for?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:22 am

What's that a euphemism for?
Trying to liven up a boring thread

I do like DWKWIA's comment re y pax stinking of puke though.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Might dress as 'ned' on Sunday but I'd have to go and look for a Burberry cap

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.