Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

A380 Upper Deck Transfomed into Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards

Hi everyone

Just curious, flew PVG-DXB a few days ago and noticed the upper deck (which is usually business + bar) was changed to economy class seating arrangement. When I asked the cabin crew what was going on, she didn't have a clue either and was rather surprised.

Any ideas why the change?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:19 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

They have A380's that are configured in an "extra density" economy layout.... used during periods of high demand or on routes that have little demand for First.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emi..._Two_Class.php

Last edited by RTW1; Jul 13, 2016 at 8:36 am
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:26 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Hi everyone

Just curious, flew PVG-DXB a few days ago and noticed the upper deck (which is usually business + bar) was changed to economy class seating arrangement. When I asked the cabin crew what was going on, she didn't have a clue either and was rather surprised.

Was this on the 3rd, 5th, 6th or 7th July? According to the EK Source, the route was flown by a 2 class A380 which, as I understand, has Y seating at the front of the upper deck where First Class would usually be on a 3 class aircraft.

http://www.theeksource.com/routetracker.html

Don't know how accurate the seat plan is in the attached link. Strange how there is no seat plan (I can't find one) on the Emirates website and no plan on the EK source either.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...-need-to-know/

Safe & Happy Travels

S

Last edited by Saltire74; Jul 13, 2016 at 8:33 am
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:01 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
This is the 2-class A380 with all economy lower level and J/Y upper level
Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: EK Gold
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Hi everyone

Was the entire upper deck economy? Or just the front section?

The 2-Class still maintains Business (albeit a reduced number of seats) and bar at the rear.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Saltire74
Strange how there is no seat plan (I can't find one) on the Emirates website . . . .
Here you go:

http://www.emirates.com/english/flyi...JY&from=354343
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:18 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by ft101
Doohhh!!

S
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:05 am

I am booked on this set up in 6 weeks flying to BKK.
I have chosen the upper deck 31G. Most of the A/B and J/K seats are taken. However the lower deck is only about 20% reserved. I am therefore assuming the upper deck to be preferable. Can anyone advise me otherwise?
If the seating below stays fairly open I will change to the lower deck in the hope of bagging a row to myself.
Interesting to note only rows 24 to 33 are offered and 34 to 39 are blank! ?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by judyush
I have chosen the upper deck 31G. Most of the A/B and J/K seats are taken. However the lower deck is only about 20% reserved. I am therefore assuming the upper deck to be preferable. Can anyone advise me otherwise?
If the seating below stays fairly open I will change to the lower deck in the hope of bagging a row to myself.
Well the reason they offer this configuration on flights to BKK is that they have a lot it Y pax so not sure about an entire row staying empty.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Upper deck is a lot quieter, and you may get to exit before the J passengers.

If you're confident, you could just walk back to the bar and hope nobody notices
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:20 am

If you're confident, you could just walk back to the bar and hope nobody notices [/QUOTE]

Not at all confident in doing that!!! :-)
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:48 pm

Rows 34/39 if the flight is empty, is blocked off and closed.

However, BKK is extremely busy in the next couple of months so it's likely to be full. The best thing about the upper deck is 2-4-2 config, imho and fewer people using the lavatories.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Upper deck is a lot quieter, and you may get to exit before the J passengers.

If you're confident, you could just walk back to the bar and hope nobody notices
Does anyone yet have experience in how they are policing/preventing Y pax from going back to the bar?
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by badgersfly
Does anyone yet have experience in how they are policing/preventing Y pax from going back to the bar?
I haven't flown on the 2 class a380 yet, however the bar is right at the back of the plane where as the y seats are at the front. I would imagine that there is a curtain and someone monitoring or keeping an eye out.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:48 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
My last flight on EK was on a 2 class A380.

As previous posters mentioned there is a curtain behind the Y section .

I was at the back near the bar and a Y pax had managed to sneak into the bar area while the crew at front were busy and was told to go back.

I don't know how they came to know that he wasn't a J pax.He knew the aircraft layout well and was very confident unlike some of the J pax who were looking around for the toilets near the emergency exits ;-)

Not sure how this is enforced in the front of the J cabin as I don't think its physically possible for a crew member to be there 24/7 keeping an eye on the curtain .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.