Wiki Posts
Search

New EK F cabin

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
New EK F cabin

Is there any news on the new EK F cabin? I've read some articles, wondering if anyone here has more news on the design, rollout etc.

Flew in the current F for the first time a couple of weeks ago and loved it. I'd always thought I wouldn't be too sure given the over-the-top-ness of it, but it was fantastic.

Planning to fly JFK-DXB in Q1 2017 in F, and hoping it might be the new product
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:52 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
New EK F cabin

In my honest opinion, this won't happen for a long time. EK came out and said they have a new F cabin design that "is similar to that of a private cabin on a train" - or to that affect (I'm obviously paraphrasing) shortly after EY released their apartments, residence and business studios seats. However, I honestly believe they said this purely as a reaction to EY's announcement and didn't actually have anything in the works at that time - they may NOW have something in the works, but I don't think a single person (other than EK employees) would disagree with me. And the reason for this is that the announcement by EK about "new cabins" was almost 2 years ago. Further, I don't think anyone has a clue when these new designs will be released. I've heard mumblings about 2016, but who knows.

Unfortunately for you, I don't think you'll be seeing any different cabins in 2017.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Well HB7 ...... I guess there are basically two scenarios here. Either the one you paint yourself (which I would say is now looking the most accurate, given how little fresh/specific news there has been in recent months) OR ..... Emirates have been keeping their powder dry, ready to spring a surprise and announce a launch date very soon.

Assuming the former, it's a shame in some ways because - having been known as the innovator in their early days - EK are now falling behind a number of their competitors in terms of space/comfort offered in F class ; and, to a certain extent, the J class product is no longer up there with the best either.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:47 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by subject2load
Well HB7 ..... and, to a certain extent, the J class product is no longer up there with the best either.
Indeed, the J product (especially on the 777's) is way behind (2-3-2 configuration anyone?). It would make sense to renew that first. Although the EY F product is superior to EK, 'over the top' comes to mind (it all depends on where you come from of course...)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:13 am

It continues to be a source of wonder & disbelief to me that EK have been taking money off people for a middle seat in J for as long as they have ....
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Indeed, the J product (especially on the 777's) is way behind (2-3-2 configuration anyone?). It would make sense to renew that first. Although the EY F product is superior to EK, 'over the top' comes to mind (it all depends on where you come from of course...)
EY F and J product might be great, but keep in mind not all of their aircraft are even EY aircraft. So they offer a great product on a part of their fleet. For people like me, flying on non-A380 routes, chances of actually seeing a real Etihad premium product are slim. So one must consider Emirates always-average J/F (not that F is average though IMHO) vs Etihad occasionally awesome J/F.

My two cents, purely speculative based on my opinion of Emirates' corporate personality, is that there'll be a big overhaul in about 12-18 months of both J and F. The issue is that they need to face significantly decreased loads in J/F if they want to remain competitive by switching to a 1-2-1 in J and 1-1 or similar in F. Once they get over the denial phase of having to make that decision they'll quickly get to the ego-boost decision that "We are EK, the world's best airline, we need the best product" and they'll go even more overboard on the gold trim than they have before.

In the end, cabin designs are cyclical. EK was the best 5 years ago, EY and QR saw it, improved it, now it's time for EK to strike back.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:42 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Interesting about the 2-3-2 J config....if a couple take the middle/aisle combo it actually isn’t bad at all. I know because we did a last minute booking a few weeks back to HKT on the 777W overnight & no other seats were available & (with the divider up) the person in the other aisle seat was not really a factor at all. I had serious misgivings about this before we flew (having only flown in EK F before this) but all was fine.

Solo middle seat travellers will have a very different experience!
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by NoY
Interesting about the 2-3-2 J config....if a couple take the middle/aisle combo it actually isn’t bad at all. I know because we did a last minute booking a few weeks back to HKT on the 777W overnight & no other seats were available & (with the divider up) the person in the other aisle seat was not really a factor at all. I had serious misgivings about this before we flew (having only flown in EK F before this) but all was fine.

Solo middle seat travellers will have a very different experience!
I've done the middle seat solo about 4 times in the past year and it's never been horrible. The only real noticable issue is the cabin crew having to sort of lean over the aisle person to serve you and perhaps you don't get their attention immediately when they walk past, but otherwise it's fine. I like the privacy of the divider on either side, kind of insulated. Of course given a choice I'd always prefer the window.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:17 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I've done the middle seat solo about 4 times in the past year and it's never been horrible. The only real noticable issue is the cabin crew having to sort of lean over the aisle person to serve you and perhaps you don't get their attention immediately when they walk past, but otherwise it's fine. I like the privacy of the divider on either side, kind of insulated. Of course given a choice I'd always prefer the window.
Stepping over someone’s legs to reach the aisle is the main drawback I suspect?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: EK Plat, UA GS, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Centurion
Well according to this article about Sheikh Ahmed from another thread, the last few sentences say-
"The chairman and CEO also revealed that Emirates is planning an exciting new in-flight innovation expected to launch either by the end of this year or beginning of next. He declined to comment further."

http://m.arabianbusiness.com/emirates-chairman-tests-out-17-hour-direct-flight-new-zealand-in-economy-621185.html
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by NoY
Stepping over someone’s legs to reach the aisle is the main drawback I suspect?
Yes, but I usually don't visit the bathroom more than twice or thrice on any given flight, unless I'm in the aisle and stretch my legs.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:26 pm

Yes, but I usually don't visit the bathroom more than twice or thrice on any given flight, unless I'm in the aisle and stretch my legs.
Perhaps just a little more information than we needed ........ ?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
EY F and J product might be great, but keep in mind not all of their aircraft are even EY aircraft. So they offer a great product on a part of their fleet. For people like me, flying on non-A380 routes, chances of actually seeing a real Etihad premium product are slim. So one must consider Emirates always-average J/F (not that F is average though IMHO) vs Etihad occasionally awesome J/F.

My two cents, purely speculative based on my opinion of Emirates' corporate personality, is that there'll be a big overhaul in about 12-18 months of both J and F. The issue is that they need to face significantly decreased loads in J/F if they want to remain competitive by switching to a 1-2-1 in J and 1-1 or similar in F. Once they get over the denial phase of having to make that decision they'll quickly get to the ego-boost decision that "We are EK, the world's best airline, we need the best product" and they'll go even more overboard on the gold trim than they have before.

In the end, cabin designs are cyclical. EK was the best 5 years ago, EY and QR saw it, improved it, now it's time for EK to strike back.
I completely agree with you based mostly on my own travel habits. I fly a lot from the US to NBO and EK and given the choice between EK, QR, and EY, I pick EK not just because I like the product overall, but because on the 5 hour flight from DOH, DXB, or AUH, they are the only one to offer a proper business class or even a widebody jet. This also goes for many flights in Africa and Europe. I hate flying narrowbodies for over 3 hours (I have done it) and have avoided it on most flights except US transcon flights (but there's not much choice there).
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
Perhaps just a little more information than we needed ........ ?
is there ever too much info on FT?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...op-flight.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.