Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Views of online check in

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Views of online check in

Not specific to EK but as I'm travelling with them and had intended using online check in I am posting here. My relatives returned to Oz this week and checked in online. When they got to the bag drop, the check in assistant ripped their boarding passes up and said most of them don't work ( scan, I presume) and she printed proper Passes. Now, I'm wondering why some home printed passes don't scan & is it worth checking in online.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:40 pm

Definitely worth checking in on-line in my experience. I usually do it, but request a new boarding card as it's much easier to fit in a pocket.

Dedicated check in/bag drop queues which are shorter than the regular queues.

Anecdotal talk of being further up the queue for upgrades as they can be more confident you're travelling.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Heard that before.
ft101 next time I will request a proper boarding card as the flimsy bits of paper are next to useless.
When I do OLCI in Mauritius I don't have a printer anyway so collect the BC at check in.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
I never print my BP when i do OLCI, in fact a lot of origin/destinations don't permit it on international sectors due to document check etc.

Just the best way to secure your preferred seat and be confident in rocking up a little later at the airport.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
Originally Posted by ft101
... Anecdotal talk of being further up the queue for upgrades as they can be more confident you're travelling.
Not quite sure about that.

Usually, op-ups are decided after check-in is closed (about an hour before departure) and are based on your status (to make explanations short), simply because they need to know exactly how many pax to upgrade.

Even when the flight is super-over-booked, the op-up list is prepared ad-meritum.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:26 pm

On EK at least, it doesn't matter when or how you check in, as long as you get to the airport in time for departure! Some airports have specific conformance times when you need to scan in at security (DXB at T-60min, LHR being very strict comes to mind) but that airport specific not EK.

FWIW I never print out a bp. Ever*. What's the point!

Except when not printing it costs you money: hello FR!
Old Nov 23, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by ioto1902
Not quite sure about that.

Usually, op-ups are decided after check-in is closed (about an hour before departure) and are based on your status (to make explanations short), simply because they need to know exactly how many pax to upgrade.

Even when the flight is super-over-booked, the op-up list is prepared ad-meritum.
I'm not sure either, but it has been mentioned on here before and does have some logic.

Op ups are done locally, so sometime after the flight goes to being airport controlled at T -24 hours.

Historical figures/local knowledge can tell the controller that the flight will definitely be overbooked in Y.

Nothing to stop him/her bumping up a safe amount of pax, confident in the knowledge that it won't come back to bite them, in order to save time the next day.

Who is going to be op-uped? The gold already checked in on-line or the gold not yet checked in?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I have yet to see any definitive evidence of OLCI bearing any relation whatever to op-up criteria (although that's not to say a false causal link could be drawn from random incidents based on personal experience)
Old Nov 24, 2015, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Who is going to be op-uped? The gold already checked in on-line or the gold not yet checked in?
The Plat

On a serious tone, answer with my logic : if I have to prepare in advance, I would op-up the guy who didn't check in. If he doesn't show up, I don't need to upgrade anyone.
Now, if I know by statistics that I will have to offload someone, I will of course offload the guy who didn't check in.

This said, in real life, it doesn't work this way.

They will wait until the pax-list is complete, and cherry-pick among confirmed pax.

Two years ago, I was op-uped at airport check-in. I assume they were 200% certain that they will have to upgrade some people. Unsurprisingly, upgrade calls continued once at the lounge, i.e. once the pax-list was frozen.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:02 am

Now, here's an interesting question :

We, FF, usually chose our seats in advance. Therefore, at check-in, we get the BP with the pre-selected seat. When we get op-uped at the lounge or at the gate, they trash it and give us a new BP with the new seat number.

Now, what happens, if I haven't pre-selected a seat and I'm the last one to check-in ?
At this stage, all seats are assigned and the computer doesn't know if I am eligible for op-up. What seat number appears on my BP ?
Does the check-in agent clearly tell me that my seat will be assigned at the gate ?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
ioto - what you say here* certainly does make sense.

The no-show factor has always been a key element of course which is why final decisions are invariably left (by most carriers) until as late as possible - even if 'likely' candidates are identified some time prior to flight closure.

Ps *re post #9
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:17 am

Now, here's an interesting question :

We, FF, usually chose our seats in advance. Therefore, at check-in, we get the BP with the pre-selected seat. When we get op-uped at the lounge or at the gate, they trash it and give us a new BP with the new seat number.

Now, what happens, if I haven't pre-selected a seat and I'm the last one to check-in ?
At this stage, all seats are assigned and the computer doesn't know if I am eligible for op-up. What seat number appears on my BP ?
Does the check-in agent clearly tell me that my seat will be assigned at the gate ?
Very quick reply to one of your points (will get to the others later) - everyone on a flight has an assigned seat, even if you haven't preselected. An op-up is nothing more than a seat assignment in a higher cabin class - you will either be assigned a remaining seat in the lower class or you will have already been moved to the higher class, a seat in a lower class than booked or you will have been offloaded. The only other situation is if you are on standby, in which case STBY will be your seat assignment.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Katykat
Now, I'm wondering why some home printed passes don't scan
Because some home printers aren't very good/the ink is bad/the paper is low quality
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Very quick reply to one of your points (will get to the others later) - everyone on a flight has an assigned seat, even if you haven't preselected. An op-up is nothing more than a seat assignment in a higher cabin class - you will either be assigned a remaining seat in the lower class or you will have already been moved to the higher class, a seat in a lower class than booked or you will have been offloaded. The only other situation is if you are on standby, in which case STBY will be your seat assignment.
I follow you.
Nevertheless, the principle of overbooking is that there are more reservations than seats. How the computer handles the seat assignment ?

And, let's say for a 70 seats cabin (at random ), I'm the 71st to check-in.
What seat appears on my BP, knowing that one pax will end up op-uped (but we don't know yet who) ... ? They won't announce me a downgrade as they need to downgrade no-one ... They won't announce me a upgrade neither as it's too early to decide so ...

(It is a calm day today ...)
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:48 pm

On a serious tone, answer with my logic : if I have to prepare in advance, I would op-up the guy who didn't check in. If he doesn't show up, I don't need to upgrade anyone.
Now, if I know by statistics that I will have to offload someone, I will of course offload the guy who didn't check in.
Sorry, not quite the same scenario as I was thinking of, as the controller knows upgrades will be required, nevertheless I agree it is probably an insignificant effect in the run of things.

A couple of years ago, when there were still (allegedly) alphabetical upgrades, early check in was regularly touted as beneficial.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.