Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates ex-USA constant sales in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz

It may have been a novelty the first time when they did this, but now it seems like every few days EK announces another ex-USA sale.

I feel bad for anyone who is having to pay more than $650 per person r/t to go to DXB. I am also not able to value traveling to DXB at much more than that price from now on I think.

The first one was in March on the $650 fare (a few dollars more to use a travel agent) as long as two or more people were in the booking, it priced out just fine. It was really wide-open through the entire year until early December and had almost no blackout dates.

Later, they announced an Asia sale (which was probably for some/many, a longer/worse option than using a transpacific carrier).

Then, two weeks ago, they announced the select Africa sale at $850 per person (which allowed one free DXB stopover).

Now, they have announced the $650 deal again. This time, it requires a coupon code (so no Travel Agents, but the EK site is terrible for many US card holders). They did announce Business Class option this time at $5000 per person. They might have announced an extra week of travel into December, but the fine print is not consistent, and the fare rules do not show-up when I get the $650 fare (might still being loaded).

We all know the constant attacks from US3 against EK and others, but I see it slight differently. I think in some of these markets, we are having saturation issues. And when you fly direct to many non-hub US cities (SEA/MCO), it reduces the demand from major hubs like LAX, NYC, DFW, etc. and doesn't really grow the market as much as one would think. There is a reason why MIA got mad about the MCO addition or LAX still only has one EK flight per day and never got back the second one (even with a dedicated lounge).

I haven't seen EK's pricing model get uniquely cheaper (aside from giving less miles on these Special fares), but I suspect they are not filling the seats fast enough with all of the upgauges and new destinations. We have also seen the US3 have yield issues with their international routes too, so there just appears to be too much inventory.

Strange times.

By the way, DL has been the only one making an attempt to price match these sales (via ATL-DXB). UA has not done so and AA/US has nada for this market.

Rasheed
Old May 28, 2015, 12:23 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Yeah, they have been blowing up my inbox for the past few months. Idk how many seats are on offer at this price for the companion offer.

Load wise they seem to be doing okay.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:46 pm

Similar thing happening in Europe right now - every week there's a sale on, not just from the usual suspects (QR), but BA, LH, TK, EY with things like 1k USD in J EU-Asia rt!
Old May 28, 2015, 1:52 pm

It's weird that you say this because I was just looking at flights DFW-DXB in J February 2016 two days ago and they were $4200USD. I go look at the exact same flights today and now they are over $6000USD. Bad luck!!
Old May 28, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
With fuel prices where they are together with substantial added capacity over the last 24 months, everyone including EK can be very aggressive in trying to acquire new customers although as noted by badgersfly above, these specials can come and go quickly.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:24 am

I thought all markets had a perpetual sale on and it was just the way Emirates ran their business.

It's bound to fool some people who don't look at the website frequently.
Old May 29, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by rasheed
UA has not done so and AA/US has nada for this market.
I was seeing sub 700 fares on UA and its Transatlantic JV Partners (LH/LX) from BOS routinely along with DL/KL/AF.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by badgersfly
It's weird that you say this because I was just looking at flights DFW-DXB in J February 2016 two days ago and they were $4200USD. I go look at the exact same flights today and now they are over $6000USD. Bad luck!!
To update my comment, the pricing that I had originally seen is now back. It went away for a day. Not sure what the cause was, but I was very specific to be looking at the exact same days/times/flights/routings.
thanks
Old May 29, 2015, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by badgersfly
To update my comment, the pricing that I had originally seen is now back. It went away for a day. Not sure what the cause was, but I was very specific to be looking at the exact same days/times/flights/routings.
thanks
Possibly availability changes on one of the sectors - someone making a change/upgrade/cancellation opening up the cheaper inventory. Also more nefariously, some pricing engines are quite well integrated with web analytics and will dynamically increase the prices on certain itineraries when they know there is a lot of interest in the route from some markets (or even browser/hardware if some reports are to be believed )
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
USA to Dubai or Muscat - $800 Y or $5000 J

Another short sale announced today (4 days).

Must buy in pairs, but travel agents are okay (no coupon code). Travel completed by end of November 2015 (nothing beyond). Ex-USA only.

http://www.emirates.com/us/english/o...at-1-599-for-2

Muscat is something different this time. Almost useless for miles accrual and mileage upgrades as known by others.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.