EK GHA at LGW?

Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
EK GHA at LGW?

Flew on EK010 the other day.

Was checked in by a very professional agent dressed in full EK attire. Couldn't fault check in.

After clearing security I nosed around a circular desk where agents from dNata, Swissport, Menzies and some other GHA provide a help desk. Bizarrely both Swissport and dNata listed EK as client. I was surprised Swissport had EK if dNata are at LGW, but I guess it all comes down to price. But dNata listed no other clients so why would they pay for a desk at LGW if Swissport has EK?

More importantly, why are two GHAs claiming one client or do they share the client somehow?

In any case boarding was a disaster! I have seldom witnessed a more unorganised effort, particularly in an airport with such good facilities.

Have dNata just taken the contract off Swissport, hence the confused advertising and shabby service as dNata learn the ropes of boarding a 380 at LGW?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:26 am

Do you mean the circular desk post security? That's only for passenger assistance services, aka WCHR pax. Multiple handlers there.

EK's agent at LGW is Aviator who just announced the purchase of Swissport's ground operation on the 1st (effective early November) as dnata does not have a full service operation at LGW. You may see dnata floating about there though under the aegis of EK providing specific services such as assistance but that's only because EK and dnata have the same owner of course!

I'm frequently at LGW - boarding has always been hit and miss. Recommend to arrive as late as possible at the gate (except status Y pax)
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Asiana Club, Mileage Plan, Skywards, Flying Blue, HHonors
Yes that desk.

I don't think Aviator had a sign/position there. But both dNata and Swissport claimed EK as client there on their signage at their respective counters. Bizarrely Swissport's sign looked homemade and was black and white whilst dNata had a proper EK logo in place in red with white lettering.

I was wondering why that desk was there as not many pax need to chat with a GHA then - but WCHR makes sense...
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:23 pm

Sorry, disregard my earlier post for two reasons:

- I realise you meant the small desk just after main security control in front of the main FIDS screen not the oval pax assistance handling desk with the tv screens

- I am out of date with the happenings at LGW but have just checked for you: dnata has just taken over EK's handling contract at LGW hence the new signage going up. They have taken a few of the old staff but as you say there may be some training teething issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.