Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: United Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
6,475 Expiring Miles

Hi, I have 6,475 miles due to expire tomorrow, March 31. It doesn't seem to be enough to book any flights. Moreover, I thought about buying merchandise at Emirates High Street, but the shipping fee from Dubai to the US is just about as much or more than the cost of items that I could get for the miles. Also, according to a Skywards rep I spoke with, buying more miles now will not extend these expiring miles. Any ideas? I'd hate for them to go to waste.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by zer422
Hi, I have 6,475 miles due to expire tomorrow, March 31. It doesn't seem to be enough to book any flights. Moreover, I thought about buying merchandise at Emirates High Street, but the shipping fee from Dubai to the US is just about as much or more than the cost of items that I could get for the miles. Also, according to a Skywards rep I spoke with, buying more miles now will not extend these expiring miles. Any ideas? I'd hate for them to go to waste.
At this point, I think the only option is to donate them to one of the 4 charitable options (only in blocks of 2500 unfortunately) - log into your Skywards Account and look on the left hand side for redemption options. There's, the Emirates Airline Foundation, Sightsavers International, Dubai Cares, and CARE International.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: United Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks for the suggestion. I've donated 5,000 miles.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC HHonours SPG EK Skywards QFF VS flying club
I have an economy semi flex reward booking coming up. My plans are likely to change short notice and I was wondering what to expect in terms of miles refunded and taxes/charges refunded for cancellation. The fare rules state changes and cancellations have no charge. Would that mean a full refund of both miles and AEDs?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by springsdxb
I have an economy semi flex reward booking coming up. My plans are likely to change short notice and I was wondering what to expect in terms of miles refunded and taxes/charges refunded for cancellation. The fare rules state changes and cancellations have no charge. Would that mean a full refund of both miles and AEDs?
Yes, but the taxes will take a bit longer than the miles to be refunded to you - you'll need to make a separate claim for the taxes on the website after calling up to cancel the miles redemption.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: skywards gold
I upgraded my daughter from economy to business with miles from GLA to DXB in online check in but when she went to the business class lounge at GLA she was refused entry-she is silver which only allows dubai lounges but does the upgrade not allow her entry to the GLA lounge?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:00 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by petersphilip
I upgraded my daughter from economy to business with miles from GLA to DXB in online check in but when she went to the business class lounge at GLA she was refused entry-she is silver which only allows dubai lounges but does the upgrade not allow her entry to the GLA lounge?
If she had a business ticket she should be allowed in whether paid for in cash or miles (unless it was an email offer which does not give access in some cases).
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
I am travelling next week DOH / DXB - My wife, me and our two year old son. We are on an economy saver fare. I am EK silver.

Cannot find this on MMB, I would like to use my miles at check in to upgrade, if space is available. Any idea how many I need. I have 31,000 miles.

Thx G
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Grantosol
I am travelling next week DOH / DXB - My wife, me and our two year old son. We are on an economy saver fare. I am EK silver.

Cannot find this on MMB, I would like to use my miles at check in to upgrade, if space is available. Any idea how many I need. I have 31,000 miles.

Thx G
Hi there

If I've got my numbers right, you will require 16,250 miles to upgrade a Y Saver ticket to business. This is for each passenger, each way.

But....PLEASE don't waste your miles in this way ! It is (as I guess you know) a one hour sector, and you really won't get anything in J that would make much of a difference v Y on such a short flight.

That said, perhaps you're looking to just use up your remaining miles in whatever way you possibly can ....?
In which case - and I may be the first person to ever suggest this - spending those miles on the Emirates High Street may conceivably provide better value. At least you'll then have something to show for it long after that short hop to DXB is over ......

http://www.emirates.com/english/skyw...gh-street.aspx
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:57 am
THR

Hi all,

So I sorta posted this in another thread (but a slightly different topic; this location is probably more appropriate). I was wondering about redemption opportunities/likelihood out of and back to Australia (SYD --> DXB and return on EK413 and EK412, respectively; we are also going to Rome and returning from Milan).

We have approximately 300,000 points, fortunately which are under the old redemption scheme/points scheme.

I'm guessing flights out of Australia, and back to, are often pretty full for upgrades?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:21 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by THR
We have approximately 300,000 points, fortunately which are under the old redemption scheme/points scheme.
What do you mean by that?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Hi there THR

Not clear from your post whether you're looking to a) buy a flight using miles alone, or b) buy a flight with cash, and then upgrade to next class above with your miles.

In practice it should make little difference, given that a redemption ticket and a miles upgrade come from one and the same fare bucket. And that fare bucket - D or Z, I believe, depending on class - is often heavily restricted by Emirates, even on flights where there may appear to be lots of space. They can be quite mean with releasing inventory when under pressure to maximise revenue bookings.

Ultimately it will depend on just how flexible you can be re season of travel, and then the exact day within that season of course.

Edit - I was confused too, along with jackiedada, by the reference to "old scheme....."
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:33 am
THR

Originally Posted by jackiedada
I mean we booked it prior to the upgrade points going up. So we can still use our points under the terms when we booked them.

Originally Posted by subject2load
Hi there THR

Not clear from your post whether you're looking to a) buy a flight using miles alone, or b) buy a flight with cash, and then upgrade to next class above with your miles.

In practice it should make little difference, given that a redemption ticket and a miles upgrade come from one and the same fare bucket. And that fare bucket - D or Z, I believe, depending on class - is often heavily restricted by Emirates, even on flights where there may appear to be lots of space. They can be quite mean with releasing inventory when under pressure to maximise revenue bookings.
Sorry I wasn't clear. We've already made the booking - back in September 2014 - for our trip in June/July. So I guess my query was just on likelihood of upgrades.

From what you've said, they're pretty restrictive. The terms of our ticket mean we can only upgrade at check-in.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by THR
Originally Posted by jackiedada
I believe the poster is referring to tickets purchased before the February changes to Skywards earning and redemption rates.

These are upgradeable with the amount of miles required when they were first purchased.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:34 am

I think he means that the ticket was purchased under the old fare rules, so upgrade costs are the old, cheaper rates - implying he wants to do a J-F or Y-J sector-by-sector upgrade ex-AU.

However, I would say that during the UK summer, availability might be hard to find before check-in. Do you have any EK status that would allow you to upgrade on-board on a space available basis?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.