Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Your Skywards Questions Answered 2015/2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, EK Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz Pres Club

Can I use my Skywards points to upgrade someone else's travel? (note: they are my immediate family and I am not traveling with them)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by catchgops
Can I use my Skywards points to upgrade someone else's travel? (note: they are my immediate family and I am not traveling with them)
Yes, no problem.

Access the booking through "Manage a Booking" using the PNR and passenger surname.

Select "Upgrade with Miles" and enter your account number and password.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, EK Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz Pres Club
Originally Posted by ft101
Yes, no problem.

Access the booking through "Manage a Booking" using the PNR and passenger surname.

Select "Upgrade with Miles" and enter your account number and password.
Thank you!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
If you mean upgrade list similar to US-based airlines, there is no such thing on EK. If J is not overbooked, EK will send the flight out with an empty F cabin. If J is overbooked, controllers will look for go by Skywards tier looking for solo travellers. (So, solo platinum flyers, then platinum flyers in smaller groups, then golds). However, this is not a cast iron rule: controllers have the discretion to move anyone they want for any operational reason, there's no published rules. Their main concern is not to be hassled by DXB for late closing of a flight.

Status pax on board in J may use miles to upgrade once doors are closed/flight is closed. You may also use cash on board on a space available basis, but you will pay the fare difference - pursers in flight have tablets with the cost (miles or cash) pre-calculated.
My wife and I get opped up together now and again (both gold).

Anyone had any luck getting waitlisted for d class recently?

I'm going to cpt as well later this year but think I'm going to buy f, it's a long flight.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K / MM
Which airline and FF program?

I may be traveling from IAH to UAE 6-8 times a year for the next 2-3 years. My destination would be AUH but I'm curious about EK non-stop to DXB.

I'm Global Services on UA (invitation only above 1K) and am pretty flexible on routing and connections - I have extremely low expectations after flying UA for the past 12 years!

Most flights will be personal (not business expense) in Y. Award travel would be US to Africa, South Asia, ME.

Questions:

Pros and Cons of EY vs. EK? Ground transportation from DXB to AUH? Mileage earning / redemption better with either program?

Would either program status-match or challenge-match my UA level?

Do I just stay top status on UA and connect in FRA or IST? How are non-EK / non-EY arrivals and departures?

Any other tips or recommendations?

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by tomanova; Jan 7, 2015 at 12:51 pm
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by tomanova
I may be traveling from IAH to UAE 6-8 times a year for the next 2-3 years. My destination would be AUH but I'm curious about EK non-stop to DXB.

I'm Global Services on UA (invitation only above 1K) and am pretty flexible on routing and connections - I have extremely low expectations after flying UA for the past 12 years!

Most flights will be personal (not business expense) in Y. Award travel would be US to Africa, South Asia, ME.

Questions:

Pros and Cons of EY vs. EK? Ground transportation from DXB to AUH? Mileage earning / redemption better with either program?

Would either program status-match or challenge-match my UA level?

Do I just stay top status on UA and connect in FRA or IST? How are non-EK / non-EY arrivals and departures?

Any other tips or recommendations?

Thanks,
Tom
DXB and AUH are relatively close to each other, but both EY and EK have complimentary chauffeur drive within the UAE for J and F class passengers (to and from the airport). It is also relatively straightforward to take a taxi as well - around 70 USD or so.

The EK program is honestly incredibly bad for earn and burn, with quite extortionate surcharges - the best use of mileage earning is for upgrading Y-J or J-F. It's relatively easier to get status with EY, as they award by mileage flown and have easier renewal requirements.

I can't speak for EY but EK is currently running some quite aggressive status-matching (unpublished) for US based top-tier fliers: you may have luck contacting the local US based sales offices - there is in fact one in Houston, so you could even pop in there.

I prefer DXB as an airport to AUH - but if your final destination is in AUH, I think it comes down to whether you want to spend an additional hour in the car from DXB to AUH. Also on whether you prefer non-stop service or having a connection to an EY gateway, or via Europe. The A380 in Y is not a bad product - I think it's definitely superior to UA, but as a GS I presume you enjoy quite a good upgrade rate: that won't happen (very often) on EK.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I would endorse eternaltransit's comments re Emirates Skywards, in that you must work very hard to earn miles, only to then have them swallowed up at a pretty hefty rate - always assuming you can actually find award availability in advance on the flights/dates you want ..... (Good luck with that !)

That said, I do like them as a carrier for their onboard service & overall standards. But, few marks from me for their FFP.

No first-hand experience of EY.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:31 am

I have just booked flights with Emirates to Australia, and on booking I noticed that they haven't credited my miles for my last trip in December-January 2013/14.

Is there any way or anyone I could contact to get these credited? Emirates themselves have said it is not possible even though I entered my Skywards number and have all the details of the flights
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by neilsinc
I have just booked flights with Emirates to Australia, and on booking I noticed that they haven't credited my miles for my last trip in December-January 2013/14.

Is there any way or anyone I could contact to get these credited? Emirates themselves have said it is not possible even though I entered my Skywards number and have all the details of the flights
Unfortunately the limit for retroactive claims is 6 months - anything over this and it would be a goodwill gesture on Skywards' part.

http://www.emirates.com/english/skyw...mme-rules.aspx

If you have a good case then they may look on it favourably, but if you have already tried that and they have denied your claim, then it seems you are out of luck in this case, I'm sorry to say.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Unfortunately the limit for retroactive claims is 6 months - anything over this and it would be a goodwill gesture on Skywards' part.

http://www.emirates.com/english/skyw...mme-rules.aspx

If you have a good case then they may look on it favourably, but if you have already tried that and they have denied your claim, then it seems you are out of luck in this case, I'm sorry to say.
Yeah, I know it was 6 months, but it is quite annoying given the member number was there and they didn't add the miles. It was added to the booking, so this is an error on Emirates part. It can't always be up to the customer to check that they are doing their job properly surely?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by neilsinc
Yeah, I know it was 6 months, but it is quite annoying given the member number was there and they didn't add the miles. It was added to the booking, so this is an error on Emirates part. It can't always be up to the customer to check that they are doing their job properly surely?
Sorry for the late reply, completely missed this!

Yes, if it's on the booking and appears on your boarding pass, it should credit and in the vast majority of cases, it does. I only have anecdotal evidence of course, but out of my last 100 sectors on EK, none of them failed to credit within a day of completing the outbound and inbound. The working assumption is that it's quite reliable and that if anything slips through the cracks, the customer will flag it up with a missing miles request. 6 months I think is a reasonable amount of time for the window for claims to be made, especially as Skywards sends emails every month with the balance. A bit like lost and found - at what point do you stop keeping things and give them away to charity/destroy them? What is a reasonable amount of time?

I'd chalk this one up to experience - I bet you won't forget to chase up miles again though!
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: EK Gold
I require 125 miles by February 28th 2015 to achieve gold, including future bookings.

Any chances that they will give me the 125 miles needed or will I be stuck at silver for another year?

Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by RichL
I require 125 miles by February 28th 2015 to achieve gold, including future bookings.

Any chances that they will give me the 125 miles needed or will I be stuck at silver for another year?

Thanks.
Do you have any flights booked after February 28th? You may be given a goodwill promotion to gold if it's only 125 miles, but don't rely on it. However do remember that not all of your tier miles "expire" at once on the date of the end of your silver status - it will go back to checking the previous 13 months on a rolling monthly basis, so if you have 0 miles earnt in Feb 2014 and a flight booked in March 2015 you'll make gold.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Yeah I've got one in March however I thought where it says includes future bookings it had counted that one in too?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by RichL
Yeah I've got one in March however I thought where it says includes future bookings it had counted that one in too?
It shouldn't count those flights that occur after your cut off date for the next evaluation period (which is the date of the end of your silver membership year) - however you might wish to check your statement to see exactly how many miles you have earned this year and base it on that instead!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.