Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates A380 at GLA Confirmed (One-Off)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates A380 at GLA Confirmed (One-Off)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
+1 for deep fried Mars bars.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Ohh I so hope this turns out to be true !!
777 J is a bit of a turn off for night flights.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Moist
With BHX getting an A380 service, I imagine that EK will be wanting to get an A380 to GLA in the next few years (depended on GLA's facilities being upgraded to handle it). I understand BHX spent a cool £1 million to upgrade an A380 compatible air bridge!
The Gate 30 (or wherever it is EK usually park up) airbridge hasn't been working properly anyway the last few times I've used it - needs an overhaul!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by go_around
The Gate 30 (or wherever it is EK usually park up) airbridge hasn't been working properly anyway the last few times I've used it - needs an overhaul!
A few years ago, at the time of Hurricane Ba'bag, they delayed unloading passengers as that same jetbridge was out of order, no other one was available, and it was too dangerous to let them walk across the apron.

I only remember as I was waiting to get on the outbound and the wind was so bad they couldn't open the hold doors and unload the luggage, so we were delayed overnight going out.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by ft101
A few years ago, at the time of Hurricane Ba'bag, they delayed unloading passengers as that same jetbridge was out of order, no other one was available, and it was too dangerous to let them walk across the apron.

I only remember as I was waiting to get on the outbound and the wind was so bad they couldn't open the hold doors and unload the luggage, so we were delayed overnight going out.

I was on this flight

Old Aug 18, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Hats off to the pilots for those transparent announcements!!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: EK Gold
Is there a landing video for that anywhere?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:17 am

I was on this flight
I think you eventually got attached to the jetbridge to allow passengers off, as you can hear the pilot say they were going to try. We were in a hotel courtesy of EK by the time they reckoned it was safe enough to take the luggage off - maybe about 8pm?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Princess fiona
Ohh I so hope this turns out to be true !!
777 J is a bit of a turn off for night flights.
I think EK are probably keen to take it to GLA, it's weather the airports owners are willing to spend the cash on a new compatible air bridge. BHX spent £1 million on their A380 air bridge, so it's not going to be a cheap investment!
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:17 am

And they (EK) are pulling the BHX A380 service next April.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I think EK are probably keen to take it to GLA, it's weather the airports owners are willing to spend the cash on a new compatible air bridge. BHX spent £1 million on their A380 air bridge, so it's not going to be a cheap investment!
Amanda McMillan and her team seem pretty assertive in their GLA expansion strategy. It would certainly outdo EDI from an image perspective - but yes, the numbers have to work.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:23 am

As well as the weather it probably also depends on whether the airport owners .... Yes, I know, a bit pedantic. We're reasonably happy with the current 777 and don't wish for A380's on GLA-DXB but we're probably in the minority. They are gradually changing A380's for 777's on the 3 daily flights DXB-MEL we choose from so it's probably just a matter of time before the change is made.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by OzTennis
As well as the weather it probably also depends on whether the airport owners .... Yes, I know, a bit pedantic.
Whoops!
Originally Posted by OzTennis
We're reasonably happy with the current 777 and don't wish for A380's on GLA-DXB but we're probably in the minority. They are gradually changing A380's for 777's on the 3 daily flights DXB-MEL we choose from so it's probably just a matter of time before the change is made.
I'm sure if Emirates could do it, they would run more A380's if the airport's had all the infrastructure in place.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:01 pm

Taking the 380s off the DXB-MEL route?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:40 am

Whoops!

I'm sure if Emirates could do it, they would run more A380's if the airport's had all the infrastructure in place.
Yes, the prime concern of course will be the extra passenger revenue vs the extra costs of operation plus the costs of upgrading airport facilities and in the long run the former should exceed the latter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.