Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates A380 at GLA Confirmed (One-Off)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2014, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards

Good news for those who travel in and out of Glasgow. Emirates will be doing a one-off to commemorate 10 years at Glasgow.

Full story here.

(wasn't aware that the runways were capable of the A380 - heres hoping that the A380 wont be too far off for regular flights).
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Good news for those who travel in and out of Glasgow. Emirates will be doing a one-off to commemorate 10 years at Glasgow.

Full story here.

(wasn't aware that the runways were capable of the A380 - heres hoping that the A380 wont be too far off for regular flights).
Wish I was back for this! Didn't know the infrastructure could handle it either - taxiways, parking stand etc.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I'm currently flying DXB-GLA on the 2nd April in J. Phoned up and to see if I could change my booking and they said it would cost Ł200 change fee and Ł488 in tax. Going to see if it's feasible work wise. Would be pretty awesome. Boarding will be a nightmare though with one aerobridge and one stairs.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
Interesting to know that the outbound flight to Dubai leaves an hour and 30 minutes later (3:35) arriving in Dubai at 2am.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by marconess
I'm currently flying DXB-GLA on the 2nd April in J. Phoned up and to see if I could change my booking and they said it would cost Ł200 change fee and Ł488 in tax. Going to see if it's feasible work wise. Would be pretty awesome. Boarding will be a nightmare though with one aerobridge and one stairs.
Not worth Ł700 though!
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:06 pm

I'm just home from picking a mate up from EK25 at GLA and heard this mentioned on the radio while driving through. Good to see the details.

Unfortunately I'm travelling two weeks later on the 24th and don't think a change will be practical.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-26157751
Old Feb 12, 2014, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by m3red
Not worth Ł700 though!
Wow sorry. I had written that message out on the phone when they guy said Ł200 and then I was going to see if i was feasible. At Ł700 it's crazy money. I've flown it before (SIN-DXB) so although it would be nice, thats far to much money.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
An A380 can land and take off where a 747 can. So GLA will be fine.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 4:30 pm

Can I use any points - like Amex - to try and book F on this?

And how would I check availability?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by FN-GM
An A380 can land and take off where a 747 can. So GLA will be fine.
It's not just about the length of the runway...
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:44 am

On a side note, any news on a Glasgow Lounge? Would be good before the Commonwealth Games start where Emirates is a major sponser?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:05 am

Just some gossip I got from my Cheufeur the other week. EK are putting a third daily into GLA in 2015 to arrive early morning and get this one they are planning on going Glasgow to North America but facing opposition from BA (fair enough) but also AA who don't even fly to GLA. discuss.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Yes, but he did say land. No mention of Taxing etc.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by FN-GM
Yes, but he did say land. No mention of Taxing etc.
OK lets put this to bed. Any airport that can handle a Boeing 747 can handle an A380 end of. Wikipedia it.
The only problem is air bridges but from what I have read on here EK have used buses on remote stands for A380 before at various airports so what's the problem? It might not be the best but can be done.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA, bmi, USAir, Aeroplan, AirBerlin, Marriott, SolMeliaMas, BAAWorldpoints
Originally Posted by ayeaway
Just some gossip I got from my Cheufeur the other week. EK are putting a third daily into GLA in 2015 to arrive early morning and get this one they are planning on going Glasgow to North America but facing opposition from BA (fair enough) but also AA who don't even fly to GLA. discuss.
I'd be amazed if a chauffeur (who's, let's remember, is not even an Emirates' employee) would get to know such a thing, unless he/she was carrying Emirates' staff who were discussing company business and overheard.

On the other hand, AA opposition would make sense as the joint business involves revenue sharing with IAG. So perhaps he/she does know something.

Such a development could revolutionise the UK-North America market.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.