Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Removed from aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by SKRan
This is typical behaviour of Emirates crew - waving off responsibility as instead of trying to help. disgusting culture!
And what culture is that?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 3:25 pm

Poor form EK, poor form....
Old Sep 10, 2012, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
And what culture is that?
Organizational culture, maybe.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:24 am

well...I think it's cos of previous history at Munich.

I am not sure what medlink is. How did the cabin crew got the information from the medlink?

EK has its own staff and station managers in SIN. I don't understand why they couldn't help them.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:48 am

The possibility of being dumped on a random continent with no assistance because a child is ill makes Emirates an airline I would avoid.

The lack of accountability, the refusal to provide a suitable alternative, the refusal to assist, the rude handling of the issue post-trip, this all calls for a boycott of this airline by responsible families.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by af fp
The possibility of being dumped on a random continent with no assistance because a child is ill makes Emirates an airline I would avoid.

The lack of accountability, the refusal to provide a suitable alternative, the refusal to assist, the rude handling of the issue post-trip, this all calls for a boycott of this airline by responsible families.
I have never even remotely considered routing myself with an unnecessary stopover in the middle east. EK and others simply dont exist in my world of travel.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Allvest
I have never even remotely considered routing myself with an unnecessary stopover in the middle east. EK and others simply dont exist in my world of travel.
You clearly lack a sense of adventure!!

When I had to get from Cairo to Colombo last month, one of the routings United gave me (award travel) was via Baghdad. I sat and pondered that for a few minutes before ultimately deciding that it would never get past the wife.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:12 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by whimike
When I had to get from Cairo to Colombo last month, one of the routings United gave me (award travel) was via Baghdad. I sat and pondered that for a few minutes before ultimately deciding that it would never get past the wife.
That would have been fun. The lounges in BGW are top notch
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by whimike
You clearly lack a sense of adventure!!

Which makes me wonder; does anyone deliberately connect via TLV?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:40 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Exclamation

How come so many people who would never fly on Emirates visit this forum?

Serious question.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
How come so many people who would never fly on Emirates visit this forum?

Serious question.
Perhaps someone left some food out
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The point is that the medical people had already stated that the passenger was unfit to fly

"Medlink had judged that he was too ill to fly"

and in that situation would you really expect a pilot to act against the recommendations of, what I would assume to be, medical practitioners
The problem is that Medlink made this judgement based on a poorly-related story third-hand. I would not call that good medical practice - rather more akin to divination.

Given the circumstances, the pilot may feel that he should abide by their recommendation as he is not a medical professional, but that doesn't mean that EK shouldn't recognize that the basis of for the decision was weak, and that the decision was wrong (viz. Raffles Medical Center diagnosis), and provide some basic care (hotel room, meals) while waiting for the next flight.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
The problem is that Medlink made this judgement based on a poorly-related story third-hand. I would not call that good medical practice - rather more akin to divination.

Given the circumstances, the pilot may feel that he should abide by their recommendation as he is not a medical professional, but that doesn't mean that EK shouldn't recognize that the basis of for the decision was weak, and that the decision was wrong (viz. Raffles Medical Center diagnosis), and provide some basic care (hotel room, meals) while waiting for the next flight.
The pilot and crew are not medical practitioners and we do not know exatly what medlink were told, only what the poster says that they were told, so to declare that they used poor judgement is not a reasonable claim imo

Once the flight crew were advised that the recommendation was that the passenger should not travel without being cleared, that ( to me ) would be the end of it; It isn't up to Emirates to second guess and decide whether they know better.

As far as provision of services during the delay, that is where travel insurance comes in

Dave
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The pilot and crew are not medical practitioners and we do not know exatly what medlink were told, only what the poster says that they were told, so to declare that they used poor judgement is not a reasonable claim imo

Once the flight crew were advised that the recommendation was that the passenger should not travel without being cleared, that ( to me ) would be the end of it; It isn't up to Emirates to second guess and decide whether they know better.

As far as provision of services during the delay, that is where travel insurance comes in

Dave
I agree with you that the pilot and crew are not medical practitioners and said so in my post. I also understand why they felt the need to follow the advice of Medlink.

I did not say that Medlink used poor judgement - they made their judgement on what information they had. However, that information was limited, and third-hand, a re-telling of someone else's description, i.e., not very reliable. They may have made the best possible decision given the information they had, but that doesn't mean the the basis for their judgement wasn't tenuous at best. Nonetheless, under the circumstances, decisions have to made, and they made one.

However, when their judgement was proven to be wrong just minutes later by competent local professionals who were in a better position to make an accurate diagnosis, EK could have taken the high road and provided some minimal support to their customers. You'll note that I didn't even suggest they be put on another airline, just the hotel and meals. You don't develop a good customer relationship by saying: "Sorry, your problem", even if you technically have a basis for doing so.

Last edited by You want to go where?; Sep 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Old Sep 11, 2012, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I agree with you that the pilot and crew are not medical practitioners and said so in my post. I also understand why they felt the need to follow the advice of Medlink.

I did not say that Medlink used poor judgement - they made their judgement on what information they had. However, that information was limited, and third-hand, a re-telling of someone else's description, i.e., not very reliable. So, when their judgement was proven to be wrong just minutes later by competent local professionals who were in a better position to make an accurate diagnosis, EK could have taken the high road and provided some minimal support to their customers. You'll note that I didn't even suggest they be put on another airline, just the hotel and meals. You don't develop a good customer relationship by saying: "Sorry, your problem", even if you technically have a basis for doing so.
Maybe they could have provided meals/accommodation though I do not see that they were obligated to, but based on my reading of the OP's post I doubt that the OP's interactions with the staff left the staff with a desire to go beyond what they were obligated to tbh

This is a situation where travel insurance comes in ( which the OP had )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.