Wiki Posts
Search

Rip Off Emirates

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by angeloedades
EK is a bit of a mixed bag for me.

LHR to MNL used to be around £2400 for J which I think is amazing compared to BA on CX code share used to offer circa £3600 - £4000.

Recently due to the YQ increase LHR to MNL is now circa £3200. Makes EY / GF even more attractive. Problem for me is that I NEED to be on an A380 or a 777 and it seems that EK will be choice despite the ridiculous increase!

AKL to SYD one way has also increased by around $200 AUD.

/AE
Emirates doesn't charge any fuel surcharge. The fare may have gone up but no YQ

AKL-SYD is still as low as $380 plus tax one way in O class though it now has a 7 day advance purchase requirement. The I class at $560 plus tax has a 3 day AP requirement with the C fare requiring a 1 day AP

London - Manila is offered at GBP2588 plus taxes of GBPP197.02 for a total of GBP2785.02 ( assuming no stopover in DXB) in I class. Just doing a random check and found no availability issues in June for the week I tried starting from Gatwick
Old May 10, 2012, 2:29 pm

Very bad OCD ung1 I way beyond the normal plane spotting profile when it comes to these types of aircraft.

I think I may need some professional help with the OCD (and if anyone is wondering... no I am not joking).

However I consider journeys on different types of aircraft at least once so that I can say I have been on them.

/AE

Eh? OCD with an aircraft type? How do you mean exactly?
Old May 10, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: Meow Mix
Originally Posted by EK029
Eh? OCD with an aircraft type? How do you mean exactly?
Its difficult to explain... but to an extent where everyone can understand is that I purposely book trips that utilise the two equipments. Very very hesitant to book other trips using other aircraft types.

Cancelled my BCN / EDI / ORD trips later on in the year as I did not fancy travelling on babybuses and 747. I know BA uses 777 sometimes to ORD but did not want to chance it.

When it comes to habits... cannot stop searching for facts / looking at air plane pictures / talking about it to friends (who thankfully some of them are geeks as well)...

/AE
Old May 10, 2012, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Emirates doesn't charge any fuel surcharge. The fare may have gone up but no YQ

AKL-SYD is still as low as $380 plus tax one way in O class though it now has a 7 day advance purchase requirement. The I class at $560 plus tax has a 3 day AP requirement with the C fare requiring a 1 day AP

London - Manila is offered at GBP2588 plus taxes of GBPP197.02 for a total of GBP2785.02 ( assuming no stopover in DXB) in I class. Just doing a random check and found no availability issues in June for the week I tried starting from Gatwick
Interseting indeed... just tried LHR to MNL out on 21 Jun and back on 06 Jul and total is 2866.21 GBP.

Tried one way from AKL - SYD its coming to 448 AUD which is marginally different from when I last checked.

I am getting slightly confused here now... I was put off buying the LHR - MNL segment this year due to the price but now I can find a fare circa £2.8k which considerably lower than £3.6k - do you think the choice if aircraft and connection time might have something to do with it? I am going to try and do a dummy book again later.

Does anyone know how the Emirates IBE behaves when, as an example, LHR - MNL is booked does it always chooses the minimum / fastest time to transit via DXB?

/AE
Old May 11, 2012, 10:02 am

Its difficult to explain... but to an extent where everyone can understand is that I purposely book trips that utilise the two equipments. Very very hesitant to book other trips using other aircraft types.

Cancelled my BCN / EDI / ORD trips later on in the year as I did not fancy travelling on babybuses and 747. I know BA uses 777 sometimes to ORD but did not want to chance it.

When it comes to habits... cannot stop searching for facts / looking at air plane pictures / talking about it to friends (who thankfully some of them are geeks as well)...

/AE
How fascinating..can't say I've ever come across this before! I guess that rules out quite a lot of places for you? Although saying that you aren't missing much when it comes to certain places (magaluf....).

Does it get awkward if you get sent to somewhere with work though? Do you just instruct the CEO to go instead?
Old May 11, 2012, 10:46 pm

How fascinating..can't say I've ever come across this before! I guess that rules out quite a lot of places for you? Although saying that you aren't missing much when it comes to certain places (magaluf....).

Does it get awkward if you get sent to somewhere with work though? Do you just instruct the CEO to go instead?
It is very awkward for me... and Indeed it rules out many places for me but strangely I was fine flying from LHR to SYD via TPE on A343 and A333 but those were first times which I don't mind. (I try to tick all aircraft equipment you see.) but the ORD trip was a family one so mega awkward.

Travel for work... I usually just say no unless I know the equipment. Being originally based at LHR it was a welcome that BA had so many 777's and so does EK!

/AE
Old May 11, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Very bad OCD ung1 I way beyond the normal plane spotting profile when it comes to these types of aircraft.

I think I may need some professional help with the OCD (and if anyone is wondering... no I am not joking).

However I consider journeys on different types of aircraft at least once so that I can say I have been on them.

/AE
OCD for planes? I don't get it?
Old May 12, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
Originally Posted by blackmamba
OCD for planes? I don't get it?
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - if that is your question.
Old May 12, 2012, 4:26 am

Sorry to take this thread side ways but isn't DJ54 (SYD-AKL) operated by B738?! How do you intend flying that?
Not saying it would happen but what if you rock up to a gate and find that the B777 you've comforted yourself booking is sub'ed with an A330?
Old May 12, 2012, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Sorry to take this thread side ways but isn't DJ54 (SYD-AKL) operated by B738?! How do you intend flying that?
Get EK412 instead?
Old May 12, 2012, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Not saying it would happen but what if you rock up to a gate and find that the B777 you've comforted yourself booking is sub'ed with an A330?
I don't mind being in a different aircraft if its my first time... I have never been on a 738 and plus its the old Virgin Samoa configuration before the re brand...

Just for Clarity I have already flown this flight back in Jan and have been super lazy to write it up.

So far I have been on the following aircraft once and can tick it off my list:

A333 / A343 / A321 / A319 / Bae146 / B738 / B744 / MD-80 / EMB 190SR

My most terrifying flight was with A343 with CI... was very nervous about that one but sleeping pills helped and I arrived in TPE alive!

/AE
Old May 12, 2012, 6:13 am

My most terrifying flight was with A343 with CI... was very nervous about that one but sleeping pills helped and I arrived in TPE alive!

/AE
Oh believe me, when it comes to Chinese airlines, you are not the first to feel so, OCD or not
Old May 12, 2012, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Get EK412 instead?
I believe that departs early in the morning and that didn't suit me at that time but I did take EK413 on the way back to SYD to make me happy

/AE
Old May 12, 2012, 6:59 am

Oh believe me, when it comes to Chinese airlines, you are not the first to feel so, OCD or not
Thankfully not just me!

I was always aware that different airlines had different histories but the spontaneous combustion during research made me raise my eye a little but I did not have the choice for a quick and cheap fare to SYD at that time!

/AE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.