Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

is it just me or do the FA's never respond to the attendant call button?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Silver

I've been flying EK for 4 years now, (in Y) and in all the many, many flights i've had with them, only once has an FA responded to me pressing the "call" button.

Am i just very unlucky? Before i flew emirates i flew malaysian airlines and singapore airlines frequently, and i always get very prompt attention after pressing the button.

Its particularly annoying in between meal services, when the cabin lights dim and the FA's are not walking around the cabin.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:07 am

Had same issue in J (once)
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:31 am

Programs: EK Gold, Etihad Gold, AA Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Yep - during the dozens of flights in J, success rate has been maybe 10-20%. In F, it's much better - around 75%. Have not flown Y, but can imagine the FAs giggling in the galley when they see the call button light up ...
Old Apr 22, 2010, 2:12 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver, IHC Plat, HERTZ gold, GF Gold, SAS Silver
Cannot seem to read the threads here, hwoever, adding I would say the amont of times I hear them, and it is for requests to top up drinks, or ask when we will land, then why would they. To me, the call buttons should be used for when you are having a heart attack, or if you are with children and do nto want to leave. They should be used in situations when there is no option other than to press the button.

That way, maybe they would come running! Bit like the emergency pulls on trains, you only pull them if someone has jumped!
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:13 am

In F, for legitimate reasons like clearing the tray/table or to replace cutlery that fell on the floor, I think that's fair to use the call button.
In Y, it would have to be something about changing seats in the case of a smelly fellow passenger or a non functioning seat.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by edy4eva
In F, for legitimate reasons like clearing the tray/table or to replace cutlery that fell on the floor, I think that's fair to use the call button.
In Y, it would have to be something about changing seats in the case of a smelly fellow passenger or a non functioning seat.
I think even in Y, if you are not in the aisle seat, it's more convenient to press the call button than to make everyone get up so you can go get a glass of water. Thankfully I've never been sat beside someone who needed to get up often during the flight, or ever not been in an aisle seat. (except for emergency exit seats)
Old Apr 22, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: MHC/5280AGL ; list too long to be boastful ;-)
Originally Posted by afhstingray
I've been flying EK for 4 years now, (in Y) and in all the many, many flights i've had with them, only once has an FA responded to me pressing the "call" button.

Am i just very unlucky? Before i flew emirates i flew malaysian airlines and singapore airlines frequently, and i always get very prompt attention after pressing the button.

Its particularly annoying in between meal services, when the cabin lights dim and the FA's are not walking around the cabin.
I think it it depends on the sector as well. From my experience, western sectors( EU/USA) services are bit more better/superior in comparison with eastern or south asian sector from DXB irrespective of the class you fly. Not sure about Australia/Singapore flights tho'.

Also, in Y, I think there are far too many buttons in comparion with the nof staff available for servicing a passenger :0)
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyby747
Also, in Y, I think there are far too many buttons in comparion with the nof staff available for servicing a passenger :0)

SQ and MH never seem to have a problem with this, and EK has more FA's on board than them (they do boast about having the highest FA to passenger ratio).

I dont mind walking to the galley to get my own stuff, but i usually have a window seat and its a pain getting in and out, especially if the person next to you has fallen asleep.

I have a partial solution to this though, after my first few flights before the plane pushes back i make sure i get the galley to fill up my water bottle.

i do think that EK should improve on this especially since they seem to want to use SQ as their benchmark

Last edited by afhstingray; Apr 22, 2010 at 7:08 am
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by afhstingray
EK has more FA's on board than them (they do boast about having the highest FA to passenger ratio).
Really? Didn't know that! Where do they boast about it?

I've always found service to be great (well, almost), especially if you're nice to the crew. But then I'm a very low maintenance passenger (or so I think).
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ung1
Really? Didn't know that! Where do they boast about it?
think i read it on the emirates website as well as some magazine with an interview with the CEO (cant really remember) and another magazine article talking about the places in dubai the FA's hang out to party etc.

Originally Posted by ung1
I've always found service to be great (well, almost), especially if you're nice to the crew. But then I'm a very low maintenance passenger (or so I think).
maybe i should ask for a couple of bottles of drinks as well at the beginning to keep me supplied for the trip
Old Apr 22, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, BA Gold OW Emerald, A3 *G, SV Skyteam Elite
I am always sitting at the Window and if I am in Y I don't have any morale issues to use the button to ask for water or anything else, particularly on a night flight and would need to wake-up 2 pax next to mine (just because for a glass of water).

If it was the other way around, i.e. me sitting at the aisle seat, I'd appreciate such behavior.

On the TO's question, the FAs are actually quite responsive to my call button request. Maybe I push it with the right amont of pressure
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: Emirates, Thai, TK
Normally i have only good experience with Emirates.
I fly always C class and last week I went from BKK to DXB.
The FA noticed that i liked the coktail which i ordered and she promised to refill the glass every 10 mins.
And she did this and everytime with a big smile.
So no complaines from me.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by merijn
Normally i have only good experience with Emirates.
I fly always C class and last week I went from BKK to DXB.
The FA noticed that i liked the coktail which i ordered and she promised to refill the glass every 10 mins.
And she did this and everytime with a big smile.
So no complaines from me.
i wouldnt be complaining either if i was in C/J/F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.