Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Waiting Times for Skywards Upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Does anybody know how long one has to wait before departure date to find out if there is upgrade availability on the skywards scheme from one class to another?

I'm travelling on the 1st May from DXB to London Gatwick and looking to upgrade from economy to business using my air miles, however the site keeps on telling me there's no availability as yet. I know there are currently seats available in business.

Also, if it is available, how much would a cash upgrade be on that sector?

Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,Platinum Ambassador, BA Gold, Qatar Platinum, Hertz 5 Star
You can wait right up until departure day for the reward seats to open up, you can call skywards and be put on the waiting list or just keep checking up until the date.

I fly regular GLA to BKK and on an average economy ticket that cost between 500 - 600 they want 1000 to upgrade just the 1 leg to DBX so I assume your upgrade would be similar and definately not worth it.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 1:51 am

Programs: DL Gold CO Gold
3 weeks out

I went to an Emirates office and was upgraded with points 3 weeks before departure.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton, Emirates, Qatar Airways
Theres no such thing as wait time. Theres only a few seats for upgrades and if they are taken you can only hope one of them cancels AND theres no waiting list and you take it before someone else does.

Id call and see if theres a waiting list.

Its probably pretty expensive to purchase the upgrade because you purchase other seats that are not available for purchase by points.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 7:43 am

Programs: Skywards, Miles & More, BA Exec Club
My experience has been that it is the luck of the draw when you call. Last time out wanted to use miles to upgrade one leg to J from either MAN-DXB, DXB-BKK, BKK-DXB or DXB-MAN. Our of all four flights only one could accommodate me, which was DXB-BKK. It wasn't particularly the leg I wanted, but all others were booked up. Not a lot you can do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.