Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

ElAl attempts to poach other airlines' FF members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

See today's JPost article here: not exactly an ideal way to behave.

But I wonder why the travel agent in question asserts that "There is a deep consensus amongst travel professionals that the best program among the airlines flying from Israel belongs to El Al. The ease in which clients accumulate points, the simplicity to order a mileage ticket and the levels needed are considerably better than her competitors."

Did they not know that LY points expire 3 years after being earned, whereas other airlines' points can be extended forever as long as there's extra qualifying activity on the account? Do they not know that earning LY points through Israeli credit cards is not as generous as credit card programs in the US, where signup bonuses of 25k mile are common and double points are often available for certain categories of purchase? And what about elite status?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: LH SENATOR
This is true....LY tries to gain premium custumers with a agresive strategy. As far as I heard LH Israel is planing to sue LY as Miles & More custumers were one of their main targets.

But then again this is again one of those propaganda LY marketing campaigns that are full of BS. Their program definetly does NOT belong to one of the better ones in the undustry. Their milage system is complicated and redeeming points is also not any better.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by LXA350
This is true....LY tries to gain premium custumers with a agresive strategy. As far as I heard LH Israel is planing to sue LY as Miles & More custumers were one of their main targets.

But then again this is again one of those propaganda LY marketing campaigns that are full of BS. Their program definetly does NOT belong to one of the better ones in the undustry. Their milage system is complicated and redeeming points is also not any better.
I don't think LH have too much to worry about. Speaking to a couple of my co-HONs in Israel recently (on the way from First Class Terminal to TLV flight...) and the general concensus is that the comped TPL status is good for the free upgrades and gifts etc, and improved award availability after transferrring miles from Israeli credit cards (better ratio than M&M Mastercard). Otherwise planning to stick with LH. And many of these were high plats in the past who 'defected' to LH when they realised how they treat their best customers...
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:28 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
IN ONE SENTENCE

Doing business the Israeli way

Sorry Elal but you are an international company, and this is unacceptable

Last edited by ELAL; Mar 16, 2009 at 3:51 pm
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by 2035
I don't think LH have too much to worry about. Speaking to a couple of my co-HONs in Israel recently (on the way from First Class Terminal to TLV flight...) and the general concensus is that the comped TPL status is good for the free upgrades and gifts etc, and improved award availability after transferrring miles from Israeli credit cards (better ratio than M&M Mastercard). Otherwise planning to stick with LH. And many of these were high plats in the past who 'defected' to LH when they realised how they treat their best customers...
On another note how is the service in F on FRA-TLV-FRA flights. Do they serve caviar etc on those flights?
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by ELAL
IN ONE SENTENCE

Doing business the Israeli way

Sorry Elal but you are an international company, and this is unacceptable
Damn straight....very nicely summarised
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by LXA350
On another note how is the service in F on FRA-TLV-FRA flights. Do they serve caviar etc on those flights?
I don't eat it...but yes they do. It is a full F menu, equivalent to the first meal on transatlantic day flights. Amenity kits, pyjamas etc provided also. The night flight (LH690/691) doesn't have F class at the moment, but often it is a 3 class plane and F seats are available in the C cabin.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I have a friend who 'oscillates' between EL AL and British Airways, flying to London nearly every week of the year. He tends to stick with each of the airlines for 2-3 years. Guess what? BA would match his EL AL Platinum with BA gold, and EL AL would do likewise even before the current highly publicised program was launched. The only difference was that in the past you needed to make a special application and now at least EL AL have an organised way of doing it.

If EL AL is trying to get FFs from other airlines it can only mean that there is more competition in this area, which can only be a good thing for the travelling public.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by mikebg
Guess what? BA would match his EL AL Platinum with BA gold.
Then he is one of the very few lucky ones.
BA are not known for their genrusity when it comes to Status matching, quite the oposite in fact.
They have no policy in place, and do it very rarely.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:24 am

Programs: AA EP, DL DM, FB PL, LY PL, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, PC Royal Ambassador, BW Platinum
This forum (and EL-AL) are mainly giving me everyday new reasons to move
from to a different airline club everyday!
Pity, LH doesnt compare as well...

My only problem is last minute upgrades, How's that in LH ?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 12:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by ebzed

Non-existent to the best of my knowledge. In fact, most if not all European airlines only allow upgrades in advance with miles and do not have automated last minute upgrades at all except for operational reasons. That's one point in LY's favour however it does mean business on LY is very often full whereas with European airlines there is often a lot of place.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by mikebg
The only difference was that in the past you needed to make a special application and now at least EL AL have an organised way of doing it.
About 3 years ago I asked El Al if it would match my Delta Gold and I was told that the only way to get status on LY was to earn it.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by ebzed

There are no specials for last minute upgrades, but at the same price as those in advance. Upgrade TLV-FRA isn't too expensive anyway - 10 or 15K miles depending on class. If you have PPB (small business program) upgrade to business is cheap - only 4K PPB points.
As a SEN/HON you are also almost guaranteed an op-upgrade from economy to business TLV-FRA (not on the reverse...)

If you fly a lot, you can also accumulate upgrade certificates. I have 16 free upgrade vouchers on my account at the moment (though that is probably unusual..)

Last edited by 2035; Mar 17, 2009 at 7:08 am
Old Mar 17, 2009, 3:55 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Already being discussed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/el-al...tus-match.html
Old Mar 19, 2009, 9:38 am

There are no specials for last minute upgrades, but at the same price as those in advance. Upgrade TLV-FRA isn't too expensive anyway - 10 or 15K miles depending on class. If you have PPB (small business program) upgrade to business is cheap - only 4K PPB points.
As a SEN/HON you are also almost guaranteed an op-upgrade from economy to business TLV-FRA (not on the reverse...)

If you fly a lot, you can also accumulate upgrade certificates. I have 16 free upgrade vouchers on my account at the moment (though that is probably unusual..)
even if the flight is not booked out in Y they would give upgrades to SEN/HON members at TLV?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.