Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

My LY Sega - Explains Again Why LY Is The Most Hated Airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My LY Sega - Explains Again Why LY Is The Most Hated Airline

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2015, 4:22 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Please ensure that all discussion is courteous and follows the spirit and rules of FlyerTalk.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Moderator, EL AL Forum

Last edited by yosithezet; Nov 16, 2015 at 5:51 am
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moe8555
Wait, you weren't bumped rather they simply refused to honor the ticket despite the fact that there was room?

If so, that's pretty horrible...
I was bumped but they said that even there would've been space they would not let me board the plane because I need to have an LY tkt number.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshwex90
In terms of compensation, I don't know how to works fully, but I'm guessing UA is responsible. If you were booked through UA on LH, and LH went on strike, and then UA had to protect you on LY, then if you couldn't fly LY for whatever reason, it should bounce back to UA to get you to your destination.

By protecting you on LY, they aren't shunting you over. If you you actually fly LY, LY is obviously responsible for that flight (e.g. mid-flight a FA attacks you, you're suing LY, not UA). But if you don't get on to begin with, UA hasn't absolved themselves of all responsibility.

As for your friend's story with F, how could an LY agent even see the price paid unless they showed a receipt printout? Not to mention, I fail to see why an agent would say that or how they can move someone out of F "just because."
I think that the operating airline is responsible for denied boarding compensation as per the Israeli aviation law...

As far as LY seeing his receipt I was shocked as well, I guess they can see it.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
Not to mention, I fail to see why an agent would say that or how they can move someone out of F "just because."
You said it right. Just because we are El Al we can do whatever we want
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
OP had a confirmed ticket on LY and was involuntarily denied boarding without compensation being offered.

File a complaint with the DOT.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 6:34 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by ILman
You said it right. Just because we are El Al we can do whatever we want
I think that often EL AL have so little understanding of industry standards that they truly do think that they can do whatever they want and that all of their policies are somehow specific to them rather than part of those industry standards.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yosithezet
I think that often EL AL have so little understanding of industry standards that they truly do think that they can do whatever they want and that all of their policies are somehow specific to them rather than part of those industry standards.
Yup. Their entire executive staff are ex military people instead of people who have experience in marketing etc..

Dansdeals does a good job

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/75128

And here is another example of professional customer service.

http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/66940
Old Nov 17, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
(although it IS debatable if LY made a right decision by bumping me instead of someone else who did not have a confirmed seat just because I was not under LY tkt stock. Since I did not get a FREE tkt, UA is paying for that tkt I should be treated like anyone else)
You started off your post stating that your Saga is a reason why LY is the most hated airline. I don't think it is but if it's not the most liked airline (in the world) that probably has nothing to do with the chain of events you described. Whilst I recognize you say you are not upset with the fact that you were bumped but only by the staff's rudeness, the fact that you have mentioned a few times that whether you should have been bumped is debatable, I would venture to say that it did bother you. In that regard, TMK there is no rule anywhere stating that a reserved seat as such is a guarantee against being bumped or even provides any protection. Indeed, it is common to think it does provide protection but I am not sure that is anything other than conjecture based on practice (rather than rules) which was probably borne from the fact that it is easier for the airline logistically (and in the rush to close a flight and get it on its ways) to bump someone who has not yet been given a seat than someone who has. That's it, no rule, no debate as I see it.

There was no justification though to be rude with you and the agent was talking rubbish if they said you need an LY issued ticket.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:31 pm

What I would have done in this situation is to tell the agent that I have important family business to deal with in Israel and can you kindly book me on any flight that will get me into TLV as soon as possible? I would then tell the agent that I would be happy to come back to the counter in 20 minutes while I get a coffee or sit down.

If there is no option with LY I would ask to be that my ticket be endorsed to Delta , British Airways, Lufthansa or any other carrier even if the class of service is different and again I would have politely emphasized the importance of my travels to Israel and then ensured my return date is confirmed too.

I would have done this all with a smile and kept cool. While I would be upset inside I would do my best to keep it cool.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
OP had a confirmed ticket on LY and was involuntarily denied boarding without compensation being offered.

File a complaint with the DOT.
Yes I would file a complaint with the DOT but I would not be stuck at home as the OP is. I would be on my way to Israel as we speak as I would emphasize that I have some important family business to attend to that cannot wait. I would work with EL Al to at least endorse me on another airline or book me via a Codeshare to TLV.

My point is I would also be asking for hotel vouchers, meal vouchers and other compensation in the form of travel voucher if the delay is over 4 hours. I would tell the LY agent that I have no time to deal with the issue at hand and that I would be happy to work with you to sort out the issue but it is still your responsibility to get me to TLV even if its on ANA via Tokyo.

If the agent is of no help I would ask for the Duty Manager and if not I would be calling my Credit Card company to invoke my Travellers Insurance and get me on another flight to TLV and have LY pay the difference .

In a situation like this I would keep my cool and just go with the flow while making this work in my favor . In fact even if LY had to fly me in Business Class or First Class then that is on their dime not mine. I would even have been asking for a Class of Service Upgrade or Priority Waitlist for the curretn LY flight and all LY flights via JFK. LY would have to fly me via AA to JFK.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by danielonn
What I would have done in this situation is to tell the agent that I have important family business to deal with in Israel and can you kindly book me on any flight that will get me into TLV as soon as possible? I would then tell the agent that I would be happy to come back to the counter in 20 minutes while I get a coffee or sit down.

If there is no option with LY I would ask to be that my ticket be endorsed to Delta , British Airways, Lufthansa or any other carrier even if the class of service is different and again I would have politely emphasized the importance of my travels to Israel and then ensured my return date is confirmed too.

I would have done this all with a smile and kept cool. While I would be upset inside I would do my best to keep it cool.
Why do you recommend lying in so many of your posts? It certainly undermines your credibility and is not in the spirit of this site.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Why do you recommend lying in so many of your posts? It certainly undermines your credibility and is not in the spirit of this site.

Where do you see in this post that he recommends lying?

Not that I agree with what he is seeing because LY simply does not care and would't even bother arguing with me, but I failing to see him lying.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:39 pm

Not that I agree with what he is seeing because LY simply does not care and would't even bother arguing with me, but I failing to see him lying.
The creation of important family matters etc. to bolster his strategy. No need to lie or embellish or otherwise add to the situation IMO.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 7:09 pm

The creation of important family matters etc. to bolster his strategy. No need to lie or embellish or otherwise add to the situation IMO.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
The funny part is thinking that LY will care about a DOT complaint. I had a valid EC 261 complaint against them for a cancelled flight from ZRH and they just laughed at me even after I filed the complaint - first they tried telling me that EC261 wasn't valid, only the Israeli law, since I'm an Israeli resident - except that under Israeli law I was due compensation as well!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by NYTA
except that under Israeli law I was due compensation as well!
Do you have any more info on this - which law is this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.