Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport reader at TLV

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
I finally confirmed with an agent about the kiosks - it's the same as the kiosks for biometric Israeli passports.

Anyone with a foreign biometric e-passport can use it except for Brazilian passport holders. However, anyone who has any issues (broken laws, visa fraud, etc.) will be blocked from using it.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I finally confirmed with an agent about the kiosks - it's the same as the kiosks for biometric Israeli passports.

Anyone with a foreign biometric e-passport can use it except for Brazilian passport holders. However, anyone who has any issues (broken laws, visa fraud, etc.) will be blocked from using it.
But does it only work on exiting? I don't imagine the let foreigners come into the country using the kiosk?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
But does it only work on exiting? I don't imagine the let foreigners come into the country using the kiosk?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Used biometric kiosk today with family including 4 and 6 year olds. The agent said all could use the kiosk and, if refused, proceed directly to "crew only" desk. Everybody passed except 4 year old. Certainly saved us time as ordinary queues were long.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
For foreigners, only works on exiting.
For entry, works for Israeli passport holders only. (Though there are some "plans" for cross-honoring down the line with some countries such as EU passports and US GE passport holders.)
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
Works great with US Passport
Old May 20, 2015, 11:47 am

17 more biometric desks

Seems that 17 more desks have opened

http://www.vosizneias.com/203994/201...urion-airport/

I have never seen the current 2 desks busy, so I think it's overkill, but we shall see..
Old May 21, 2015, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 2035
Seems that 17 more desks have opened

http://www.vosizneias.com/203994/201...urion-airport/

I have never seen the current 2 desks busy, so I think it's overkill, but we shall see..
This is good news considering the increase of Israelis getting biometric passports (and the possibility, especially with Likud remaining in power, of biometric passports becoming mandated soon) as well as the continued-talked-about reciprocity with other countries (i.e. GE members getting to use them on entry as well)

But I too have never seen a line
Old May 21, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Last time I went through I saw they had removed from one side of the departures and arrivals halls the old machines used with the card and hand "signature", I assume to make room for these 17 machines.
That's likely to create queues for those machines as they sometimes get busy. Personally I am holding off as long as possible with a biometric passport. Don't trust the security of the database at all and will only do it when it's proven secure or becomes mandatory.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:25 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by economyman
Personally I am holding off as long as possible with a biometric passport. Don't trust the security of the database at all and will only do it when it's proven secure or becomes mandatory.
It cannot be proven to be secure. On the contrary, it is provable that it can be broken into. It is mathematically axiomatic that no database can ever be 100% secure. It only needs one breakin to compromise the data of the entire population.

Last edited by mikebg; May 21, 2015 at 2:41 am
Old May 21, 2015, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by economyman
Last time I went through I saw they had removed from one side of the departures and arrivals halls the old machines used with the card and hand "signature", I assume to make room for these 17 machines.
That's likely to create queues for those machines as they sometimes get busy. Personally I am holding off as long as possible with a biometric passport. Don't trust the security of the database at all and will only do it when it's proven secure or becomes mandatory.
I wonder if they notified those with the hand card.

I'm personally of the mind that Israel has all my information as it is (license is boiometric; they have biometric data including photos, DNA, and teeth samples from the IDF, etc.) so what's another passport? Besides, between data sharing arrangements, they would anyways have that info thanks to my American passport
Old May 21, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The security argument there is a bit of a red herring, they already have all the 'biometric' data, this just puts it on the passport chip. And by biometric, they don't have fingerprints or iris scans or DNA on there, its just a parameterized version of your photo. Sheesh.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by entropy
The security argument there is a bit of a red herring, they already have all the 'biometric' data, this just puts it on the passport chip. And by biometric, they don't have fingerprints or iris scans or DNA on there, its just a parameterized version of your photo. Sheesh.
That's incorrect. When you register for either a biometric ID or a biometric passport they take two finger prints and these are included in the database together with the photo.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by entropy
No iris scans or DNA, but they do take fingerprint scans from each index finger
Old May 31, 2015, 7:24 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
Is this still only for exiting ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.