Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > EL AL | Matmid
Reload this Page >

Flying with just hand luggage from TLV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with just hand luggage from TLV

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by joshwex90
T1 departures depart from T3?
If you check a bag with easyjet you check in at T1, go through security there and then get on a bus to T3. It's idiotic.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by nyta
if you check a bag with easyjet you check in at t1, go through security there and then get on a bus to t3. it's idiotic.
כסף יענה את הכל
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by NYTA
If you check a bag with easyjet you check in at T1, go through security there and then get on a bus to T3. It's idiotic.
Does this mean there are no actual departures from T1?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Domestic only.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
So if you do NOT check luggage, can you just go to T3 and proceed to the gate?

Shuly
Old Jun 27, 2014, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by shuly
So if you do NOT check luggage, can you just go to T3 and proceed to the gate?

Shuly
As long as you have a boarding pass, yes.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by sds1493
As long as you have a boarding pass, yes.
Are you sure of what you're saying? I'm not sure that's possible.

As said, the domestic flights depart directly from T1's airside. International passengers, once crossed into T1's airside, are bussed to T3's airside where there are duty-free shops and food courts, which do not exist in T1's airside.

Basically, the whole idea of T1 is for domestic flights, but low-cost international airlines use it as well, since they pay about 50% of the fees in compare to T3 fees. So, the question is would it be better to let the international passenger at T1 have no duty-free shops, food courts etc. or not. Maybe one day, when air service at T1 will be very active it would be financially logical to open shops and food court on T1's airside, but that's the case now.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:26 am

It's possible. I do it all the time
Old Jun 29, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: LY, BT
This is a complete trainwreck. The idea of having the LCCs operate from T1 just doesn't make sense when they are close to making up one third of all flights. The current solution (busses from T1 to T3 after check-in) is completely insane, but as long as the IAA benefits from the revenues generated in the terminal, they will do everything possible to keep it going. The right thing to do is to add another duty free shop and a few cheap shops like "cofix" in T1, and use the fast turnaround as a selling point to other LCCs.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 3:12 pm

It would be interesting to see a study of who buys more duty free items, LCCS pax or mainline carrier pax
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elal767
This is a complete trainwreck. The idea of having the LCCs operate from T1 just doesn't make sense when they are close to making up one third of all flights. The current solution (busses from T1 to T3 after check-in) is completely insane, but as long as the IAA benefits from the revenues generated in the terminal, they will do everything possible to keep it going. The right thing to do is to add another duty free shop and a few cheap shops like "cofix" in T1, and use the fast turnaround as a selling point to other LCCs.
And then, add Cofix to T3 as well! Turn T1 into a real terminal, with a domestic side and an international side. That's ridiculous that they bus pax over (and good to know as I'm flying U2 soon without bags - I would've gone to T1 for no reason!)
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:51 am

And then, add Cofix to T3 as well! Turn T1 into a real terminal, with a domestic side and an international side. That's ridiculous that they bus pax over (and good to know as I'm flying U2 soon without bags - I would've gone to T1 for no reason!)
You're welcome ;-)
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:55 am

I wouldn't think it really matters. Any duty free sales is better than none. However I think that the real benefit for the IAA is with the food concessions. LCC pax buy a lot more food, as even inflated airport prices are less than hyper-inflated airplane prices.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingELAL
Are you sure of what you're saying? I'm not sure that's possible.
As long as you have a boarding pass - and as several people including myself have posted on this thread, it works for any airline that has checkin at Terminal 1, Easyjet, Wizz Air, etc. Except for domestic flights to Eilat.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sds1493
I wouldn't think it really matters. Any duty free sales is better than none. However I think that the real benefit for the IAA is with the food concessions. LCC pax buy a lot more food, as even inflated airport prices are less than hyper-inflated airplane prices.
And inflated airport prices may soon be a thing of the past in Israel (Knesset mulls price controls for airport food, drink - Globes English)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.