Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drop Fee

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Drop Fee

Is there a way for the drop fee to be waived? Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:54 pm

No. EVERY car rental company has some form of drop fee, whether bundled into the base rate per DAY (like everybody else) or unbundled per RENTAL (like Dollar). You may be more used to seeing it bundled if you rent from Avis, Budget, National, Alamo, or Hertz. If so, Dollar's drop charge, which often exceeds the base daily rate, may seem unfair. ex $30/day plus $150 drop charge.

Since it's per rental rather than per day, Dollar can be cheaper for longer rentals. If Dollar's total price is, say, $700 for 7 days, divide the $700 by 7 to get a daily rate you can compare to what everybody else is charging.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that could not have been said better. Unfortunately the one ways are outrageous (and its only between phl and ewr). Is there ever coupons or one car rental company's elite status that would waive such a fee (or price increase like other companies do as you expalined above)? Your insight is much appreciated!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 7:04 pm

Try Hertz RQ DRIVE.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Try Hertz RQ DRIVE.
Thanks SOOO much....from $180 a day to $25 a day!
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:49 pm

I'm glad I could help you. Where are you going?
Old Apr 12, 2010, 4:02 pm

Try Hertz RQ DRIVE.
WOW!!! Thank you sooooo much!!! You gotta just love FT!!

I needed to pick a car up in Eugene, OR, drive to Portland and then Seattle. Not only was I incurring a drop fee for returning to a different location, I was being charged an additional fee for returning in another state. $556 for 4 days!!!!

I had gone so far as to reserve a car from EUG - Portland and then planned on changing car/companies to travel Portland - SEA so that the additional state return fee would only be incorporated in one day's rental. That brought my rate down to close to $400.

The Hertz code you gave brought my rate down to $229!!!!

Awesome! Thanks again!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

I'm glad I could help you. Where are you going?
phl to ewr not too far of a drop, but i guess it is!
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:01 am

Yeah, but doesn't Dollar have a corporate neighborhood store somewhere in Philadelphia? Not that it will likely beat the Hertz rate.

Edit: They do, but they're all franchises and hence don't do one-ways.

I know someone mentioned Eugene to Seattle somewhere on this thread. Dollar seems to have a franchise group there, that only allows one-ways within itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.