Hertz to buy Dollar Thrifty

Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Hertz to buy Dollar Thrifty

In the news today:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=10474824

Hertz Global Holdings Inc., the world's largest car rental company, said Monday it has agreed to buy rival Dollar Thrifty Automotive Group for about $1.17 billion in cash and stock.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Still not sure if this is a good or bad thing for us Hertz renters.
Sounds like Dollar-Thrifty will still operate independently.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by sobore
Still not sure if this is a good or bad thing for us Hertz renters.
Sounds like Dollar-Thrifty will still operate independently.
I hope so.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Dollar always cost less than Hertz. I doubt that will continue, or at least to the same extent as before.

I wouldn't mind seeing the efficiency of Hertz brought over to Dollar, however. Dollar really needs a new computer system. The check out process at Dollar is terrible compared to Hertz.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 10:36 am

Around the start of this decade, I use to rent mostly from Dollar. They had the best prices then, and I liked the Diamler-Chrysler cars. I remember how excited I was to treat myself to my first PT Crusier for a trip to St. Patrick's Day in Savannah.
But then the representatives at Dollar began to get VERY aggresive with me about insurance; to the point of being rude.
I would read in consumer literature about how important it was to the rental car companies to generate income from selling these insurance services. But, I was being treated by the representatives at Dollar as if I had no other option than to rent from Dollar.
So, I began to look around and found that I actually had a better option renting from National through my AARP. And they had this cool gimmick where the customer picked the car.
Eventually Hertz lured me away, because of their relationship with the ff program I joined.
I think my last Dollar rental was in 2005 because I wanted to drive a 300.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.