Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Baggage Check Mobility Scooter?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP

I have MS and hope to bring my new mobility scooter on and upcoming domestic trip (no connecting flights involved). It's a Gogo Elite Traveler and breaks down into 4 pieces.

I've searched many posts here about traveling with a scooter, and I'm concluding that it might be best to check it with baggage, as gate checking it might result in damage, not all the pieces making it, etc.

I can't seem to find a ready-made case for it, so I'm concerned if/how it will be protected from damage and how all the pieces will stay together.

Any thoughts, suggestions, personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Anybody?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Perhaps your best bet is to call the airline. I watched a scooter being loaded on a BA A320 for a short haul from LHR and it was placed intact on a pallet in a cargo container of its own and thoroughly lashed in place. This struck me as a good way to handle it but doesn't tell you anything about other airlines. I would avoid small planes unless you can dismantle and pack it. The one I saw was probably gate checked as they were packing it right there by the plane.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:48 pm

I use a manual chair, not a scooter, but tend to think just the opposite, that gate-checking is safer than checking as baggage. I admit I don't have any information to back that opinion up. I tend to figure that mobility devices checked as baggage are out of my control for longer.

I boxed and checked a handcycle once (in a triathlon bike box), and on another trip just rolled it up to the gate unboxed (I wrapped the gears and shifters in bubble wrap). Came through ok both times (although I was totally frazzled worrying about what would happen to it.

What I do know is that anything that *can* come off, should come off.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:51 pm

Gate Check the scooter

I hope that my answer is not too late for you. I also have a Go Go Elite Traveler. I always gate check it. When you arrive at the gate (do it early) advise the agent that you would like to gate check it. They will give you a tag to put on the scooter. Normally you would drive the scooter right down to the end of the jet way and park it over to the side. At that point, I put the scooter in free wheel and take the key. Too many times the key will get broken off in transit. I fold my seat back down and tilt the tiller close to the seat, in order to reduce the profile. Do not leave any loose items or your basket on it. You can take that onto the plane.

It is helpful to attach on the back of the seat a laminated instruction card in both Spanish and English that explains how to put the scooter in free wheel and how to lock it. In theory, depending upon which airport you land in, the scooter should be brought back up to the jetway when you land. This only applies to domestic travel. International rules vary and sometimes it is sent to baggage claims. I travel a lot and my scooter has been all over the world. If I can help in any way, please ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.