Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

All ADA Rooms Are Not Created Equally

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond

Here's a summary of my latest issue with a Marriott-branded property, this time the JW Marriott Essex House in New York: http://thejetsfan.com/blog/2015/06/1...with-marriott/

They moved me to another ADA room, which was what I expected in the first place, but it still bothers me that this room is in their ADA inventory. What if there was no other room to move me to?

And for the record, even though this property faces Central Park, both ADA rooms faced a brick wall. No park or city view rooms are accessible. Main lobby doors had no power open buttons and the elevators are tiny. I know this is a historic property so they are probably exempt, but I don't see how putting a power door opener would adversely affect the aesthetics of the property. Marriott has gone downhill in the ADA department lately. Their website doesn't make it easy to find ADA rooms anymore - you have to go through each room type to see if there are accessible rooms offered. Other hotel chain sites allow you to click and filter accessible rooms making it easy to see what's available.

Anybody know how we can get Marriott to fix their problems?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:00 pm

I've got this problem as well.

We stay almost exclusively at Marriott and I keep running into this over and over again. I've been put in rooms that they insist are ADA rooms and there is not even a way to get in the room, let alone use it. This was at a Courtyard. The manager refused to take that label off of the room, saying that there must be a reason it was labeled that way in the system.

I sometimes feel that the designers are actually hostile to wheelchair users. How else could they come up with some of these design flaws? I stick with Marriott because we are platinum and it doesn't seem to be much better anywhere else.

I NEVER count on my online reservations being correct. I call the hotel directly and ask to speak to the manager, after I've reserved. Then, the day before I arrive, I call them again. Even with that, I've been given the wrong room.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Sigh. I am so tired of ADA rooms either not being compliant, or being second-rate, without a view, having bathrooms that look like they belong in a hospital, only having two double beds when you are traveling with your spouse or partner (because someone somewhere determined at some point that people with disabilities never, ever have sex -- ever), never being in the superior or deluxe categories . . . I could go on.

It frustrates me to no end. I have reached the point where, if I am traveling with my husband, I don't ask for the ADA room, and rely on my husband for assistance. We prefer the guarantee of a higher category room, a better view, and being treated like human beings, than having the ADA room. Sigh.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysolde
Sigh. I am so tired of ADA rooms either not being compliant, or being second-rate, without a view, having bathrooms that look like they belong in a hospital, only having two double beds when you are traveling with your spouse or partner (because someone somewhere determined at some point that people with disabilities never, ever have sex -- ever), never being in the superior or deluxe categories . . . I could go on.

It frustrates me to no end. I have reached the point where, if I am traveling with my husband, I don't ask for the ADA room, and rely on my husband for assistance. We prefer the guarantee of a higher category room, a better view, and being treated like human beings, than having the ADA room. Sigh.
And a single person doesn't ever want a Queen???? As a 6'er I much prefer queen as otherwise my feet are prone to going off the end of the bed.

And what does a double bed do to prevent sex??
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
And a single person doesn't ever want a Queen???? As a 6'er I much prefer queen as otherwise my feet are prone to going off the end of the bed.

Well, see, that's another thing. My husband is 6 feet tall, and, especially in Europe, the ADA rooms (with a few happy exceptions) involve getting two twin beds. Which means his feet and part of his legs are hanging off the end of his bed, in some Procrustean experiment at innkeeping. We tried cuddling (nothing more) in one of these rooms recently, and realized, by about 4:00 am, that our college days are long behind us. He quietly got up, moved the suitcase off the "extra" bed, and went to sleep in it, feet and ankles hanging off the edge like Tom Hanks's in "Big".
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysolde
Well, see, that's another thing. My husband is 6 feet tall, and, especially in Europe, the ADA rooms (with a few happy exceptions) involve getting two twin beds. Which means his feet and part of his legs are hanging off the end of his bed, in some Procrustean experiment at innkeeping. We tried cuddling (nothing more) in one of these rooms recently, and realized, by about 4:00 am, that our college days are long behind us. He quietly got up, moved the suitcase off the "extra" bed, and went to sleep in it, feet and ankles hanging off the edge like Tom Hanks's in "Big".
Yeah, twin beds are another matter. I've shared a twin with my wife, neither of us slept too well. The message I was replying to said "double", though--a length problem but not a partner problem.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel

It's just like the stripes next to a parking space for those with disabilities. Some of us need more room. I'm not going to explain that here though.

The issue of always having double beds isn't about sex, for me. It's about needing something at night and not being able to wake my wife way over there on the other bed. She often has to sleep on the floor on a makeshift bed. She says she's fine with that, but I hate it.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
It's just like the stripes next to a parking space for those with disabilities. Some of us need more room. I'm not going to explain that here though.
Wait, you mean that those stripes aren't an extra disabled parking space for when all of the other disabled parking spaces are full? (yes, a disabled person genuinely made that argument to me when I told them they were illegally parked).
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:58 am

Thumbs up Marriott Minneapolis City Center

I booked online for the Marriott Minneapolis City Center: Accessible room with roll-in shower. The online confirmation said my room type and amenities were "guaranteed."

Well, when we checked into the room at midnight, after a very long two days of travel, we ended up with exactly what we had reserved! Very nice! Is this a new policy by Marriott to guarentee room types? In any case, it was great!

Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Here's a summary of my latest issue with a Marriott-branded property, this time the JW Marriott Essex House in New York: http://thejetsfan.com/blog/2015/06/1...with-marriott/
Anybody know how we can get Marriott to fix their problems?
I would say call the property's general manager.

Then write reviews about this property (one star) on Yelp, Google Maps, and Tripadvisor. Then write bad reviews on Twitter and Facebook, ensuring you use their id/hashtags so people can easily find them.

If you had friends and family there who had similar experiences, have them write similar reviews on the above sites as well.

Don't forget to write a good review when things go right as well.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:45 pm

Wait, you mean that those stripes aren't an extra disabled parking space for when all of the other disabled parking spaces are full? (yes, a disabled person genuinely made that argument to me when I told them they were illegally parked).
I won't make that argument. Some of the equipment* we use needs the extra striped space to get in and out. That's what the stripes are for.

*ramps, lifts, etc..
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by mat123
I booked online for the Marriott Minneapolis City Center: Accessible room with roll-in shower. The online confirmation said my room type and amenities were "guaranteed."

Well, when we checked into the room at midnight, after a very long two days of travel, we ended up with exactly what we had reserved! Very nice! Is this a new policy by Marriott to guarentee room types? In any case, it was great!
Awesome. Now I know where to stay next time we're in Minneapolis.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
I won't make that argument. Some of the equipment* we use needs the extra striped space to get in and out. That's what the stripes are for.

*ramps, lifts, etc..
I was being sarcastic (note the smilies). I was making fun of someone who said they were an extra spot. As a wheelchair user, I'm well aware of what they are for.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:52 am

I was being sarcastic (note the smilies). I was making fun of someone who said they were an extra spot. As a wheelchair user, I'm well aware of what they are for.
I knew that you were being sarcastic. I tried to respond in a funny way. Guess it didn't work.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:57 am
Original Poster

The perils of internet communication.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.