Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Guide Dogs on Flights - what if another passenger has a dog allergy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guide Dogs on Flights - what if another passenger has a dog allergy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by stpetric
My guess would be that the guide dog's owner has a condition called retinitis pigmentosa -- a condition I've also been diagnosed with. Its most common symptom is a progressive narrowing of the visual field, leading to quite restrictive tunnel vision. Within that limited field, the individual's visual acuity may be quite good. But make "binoculars" with your hands and hold them to your eyes, then try walking around like that for 15 minutes. You will quickly appreciate how difficult it makes normal walking...and that's when people who may appear to have perfectly adequate eyesight start using the white cane and the guide dog!
Very well said. Thank you!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by stpetric
My guess would be that the guide dog's owner has a condition called retinitis pigmentosa -- a condition I've also been diagnosed with. Its most common symptom is a progressive narrowing of the visual field, leading to quite restrictive tunnel vision. Within that limited field, the individual's visual acuity may be quite good. But make "binoculars" with your hands and hold them to your eyes, then try walking around like that for 15 minutes. You will quickly appreciate how difficult it makes normal walking...and that's when people who may appear to have perfectly adequate eyesight start using the white cane and the guide dog!
Thank you for a good explanation. Many people are legally blind and those looking at them would not realize it. Steve Wynn, BTW, has retinitis pigmentosa and one would never know.

Welcome to FT stpetric even though you've been a member for a while.

Bobette
Old Jun 14, 2014, 2:26 pm

service dogs on flight

Are you assuming the service dog is for blindness? What about seizure dogs and stroke dogs? Do you assume that those flight attendants that will help you blind person to the bathroom also sense the seizures and strokes for these other special needs passengers?
Old Jun 14, 2014, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sandyhome
Are you assuming the service dog is for blindness? What about seizure dogs and stroke dogs? Do you assume that those flight attendants that will help you blind person to the bathroom also sense the seizures and strokes for these other special needs passengers?
And even if they could be helped on the flight they'll need the dog at the destination.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: UA/LH/DL
Loren, thank you so much ..... I´m asked ever so often, why I have a service dog, where there are humans around me für assistance. Mostly, after explaining, that she works the most, when the two of us are by ourselfs at home, people understand. If not ? I dont care ! Had adventure already with passenger, that did not want to sit with me and my lab - because of allergies. But not before depature - even though, the person took the seat next to us and would have had time enough to come up with her complaint. She ended up to remain in her seat, while my lab and I were upgraded in flight...

After many flights, only this one time problem occured ..... mostly, people even ask, if they can sit with us ....
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Manasota
Loren, thank you so much ..... I´m asked ever so often, why I have a service dog, where there are humans around me für assistance.
And why should someone trust that those humans are always acting with the best of intentions? My mother told me of one case where one of those helpful humans was up to no good.

Fortunately they weren't interested in finding out just what 110# of coal-black dog (she looked very ominous) would do if it's master was under attack.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In the U.S.A., AFAIK it's not ADA in the air, it's the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA, 49 U.S.C. 41705), which prohibits discrimination by U.S. and foreign air carriers on the basis of physical or mental disability. The Department of Transportation, in interpreting and implementing the ACAA, has issued a rule (14 CFR Part 382) setting forth the standards of service which air carriers are expected to provide to disabled individuals.

Some good downloads here from US Dept. of Transportation. Specifically, the Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) document about service animals can be found and downloaded here; it includes instructions for airline personnel on identifying a service animal.

As to airlines, they vary - a lot. WN / Southwest hands out peanuts and makes it almost a part of "LUV" culture to do so. I would suspect a Southwest aircraft that was guaranteed peanut free (including residues in seat, seat pockets, etc.) would be an impossibility.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 11:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sandyhome
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Good point; some service dogs include (in no particular order):
  • Severe Allergy Alert Dogs (AADs)
  • Autism Assistance Dogs
  • Diabetic Alert Dogs (DADs)
  • Hearing Dogs
  • Medical Assistance Dogs
  • Psychiatric Service Dog (PSDs)
  • Seizure Response Dogs
  • Visual Assistance Dogs
  • Wheelchair Assistance Dogs
  • Emotional Support Dogs
  • PTSD Support Dog
Is the world going to the dogs? Might be a good thing with the right dog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.