Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

Alternatives to crutches for 2 month disability?

Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

My traveling companion made a mess out of his knee and femur recently, and is looking at at least 2 months on crutches (non-weightbearing) which severely restricts, i.e. kills, our summer travel plans.

I looked into renting one of those mobility scooters for him, but they appear to rent for about $89 to $119 PER DAY, which pretty much kills the idea of renting on for a road trip. I've also been scoping out craigslist for a used one, but so far no luck.

Any suggestions for someone with a short term disability who needs a way to get out and do things this summer?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:00 pm

I assume one of those things that rolls that you rest your leg on is out, too?

What about a manual wheelchair, if he's otherwise fairly fit?

Presumably he'll need to use crutches some of the time - if he can get forearm (aka Lofstrand, Canadian, or elbow) crutches they are vastly more efficient and comfortable than axillary crutches. If they are not supplied by the hospital or surgical center, they can be purchased for a under a hundred dollars.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Katja
I assume one of those things that rolls that you rest your leg on is out, too?
The knee doesn't bend very far at the moment between the injury and the brace he's wearing, so no, one of the knee things wouldn't work. Plus using that would put weight on the femur, which is contraindicated.

What about a manual wheelchair, if he's otherwise fairly fit?
He's a teenaged boy - no way could I get him to go for that option.

Presumably he'll need to use crutches some of the time - if he can get forearm (aka Lofstrand, Canadian, or elbow) crutches they are vastly more efficient and comfortable than axillary crutches. If they are not supplied by the hospital or surgical center, they can be purchased for a under a hundred dollars.
I'll ask the PT about those and see what she thinks. He might balance better with those. Thanks for the idea.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I think the motorized scooter might be your best option. Check out ebay, craigslist, etc. to see what they are selling for. Also, call the local scooter/wheelchair stores, explain the situation (moderate use for a short period of time), and find out if they have any reconditioned scooters they would be able to sell you. It would probably be cheaper than renting at the rates they are quoting you.

As katja pointed out, though, he is still going to need some support in walking short distances -- be that elbow crutches or a walker or something else.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
He's a teenaged boy - no way could I get him to go for that option.
Heh. Have him watch one of Aaron Fotheringham's videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUUVfPy0UgI). Of course you can't get a decent chair for a short term injury like that.

I'll ask the PT about those and see what she thinks. He might balance better with those. Thanks for the idea.
They also prevent axillary nerve damage, very common with underarm crutches. As far as I can tell, no other modern industrialized country sends people home on those torture devices.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Heh. Have him watch one of Aaron Fotheringham's videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUUVfPy0UgI). Of course you can't get a decent chair for a short term injury like that.
Puh-leaze! We're trying to get him mobile by the start of hockey season in September, not break his neck. Although he did ask about getting a sport chair so he could go to basketball camp after all...

They also prevent axillary nerve damage, very common with underarm crutches. As far as I can tell, no other modern industrialized country sends people home on those torture devices.
Hey! Have a little respect here! That pair of crutches has gotten me through 7 orthopedic surgeries. They're venerable antiques.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:52 pm

Puh-leaze! We're trying to get him mobile by the start of hockey season in September, not break his neck. Although he did ask about getting a sport chair so he could go to basketball camp after all...
I hate to break it to him, but it's a different sport.

Hey! Have a little respect here! That pair of crutches has gotten me through 7 orthopedic surgeries. They're venerable antiques.
Torture devices.

It is funny, though, that a youngster would think that a scooter (which requires no effort on the rider's part to propel) is cooler than a manual wheelchair. I guess I'm just too immersed in the disability community.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

It is funny, though, that a youngster would think that a scooter (which requires no effort on the rider's part to propel) is cooler than a manual wheelchair. I guess I'm just too immersed in the disability community.
To a teen anticipating his driver's license, anything motor propelled is cooler than manual power. Even driving the power chair at the grocery store is fun.

Amusement parks often have powered scooters to rent, but museums don't. Wonder what says about our culture?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: AA/BA/DL/US Air
Not sure where you’re located, but there’s most likely a Veterans Service Organization close by. You can visit my website to find one. My site is geared towards NC Veterans, but most of the NC websites have a link to their National Organization’s website which in turn will provide a link to a VSO office near you, or tell me where you live and I’ll give you a link.
They might have a used scooter that they would loan you. My local DAV Chapter has a lot of home health care items/equipment that we loan out to veterans and their families.
If there’s no veteran in the family, a donation to a worthy non-profit might get you the loan of the scooter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.