Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Duty Free Best Finds

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:48 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
NZ vs AUST

If you are travelling Trans Tasman ALWAYS purchase on the NZ side, so outbound if travelling west and inbound if travelling east.

DFS at the airport is MUCH MUCH cheaper for booze than in AUST.

Even when you take the exhange rate into account - the savings just soar thru the roof.

This knowledge is from years of travelling and comparing and NZ is always cheaper cheaper cheaper

Adam
Old Mar 10, 2008, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by adampenrith
If you are travelling Trans Tasman ALWAYS purchase on the NZ side, so outbound if travelling west and inbound if travelling east.

DFS at the airport is MUCH MUCH cheaper for booze than in AUST.

Even when you take the exhange rate into account - the savings just soar thru the roof.

This knowledge is from years of travelling and comparing and NZ is always cheaper cheaper cheaper

Adam
Adam and other ditch-bound travellers or expats, please give specific item pricing, preferably USD$ usig the xe.com calculator, so we can bring some of the booty home!

I'll then link these best prices to the index, here.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Thanks BiziBB!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:42 am

I've read that DAM has some of the cheapest duty free in the world. I fly back from there in the summer, I will def make note.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
In terms of Cigarettes, I always pickup a carton of Davidoffs when I travel to Asia, and have consistently paid $15-16 a carton in SIN, NRT, NGO, and HKG. As a comparison, the same cigarettes cost about $38 USD in Germany and UK. In terms of JYB, I have paid $120ish on United Airlines and have found them to be a good deal with the 10% discount for elites.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've updated the Products and Airports index with a link to bschaff's finds.

Keep those finds coming!

What products, relating to DiningBuzz () have you bought DF, better than retail prices?

Any good XO cognacs?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:47 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by BiziBB
Adam and other ditch-bound travellers or expats, please give specific item pricing, preferably USD$ usig the xe.com calculator, so we can bring some of the booty home!

I'll then link these best prices to the index, here.
http://www.dutyfreestores.co.nz/Home has everything you need.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dannyr
http://www.dutyfreestores.co.nz/Home has everything you need.
Looks like the best bet is for anyone going through NZ to buy at that site for 20% off.

I looked up a few items:
Famous Grouse 1125ml NZ$19.90
Jameson Irish Whiskey 1000ml NZ$32.9
Jameson 1780 12YO 1000ml NZ$49
Cougar Premium Bourbon 1125ml NZ$19.9
St Remy Brandy 1125ml $14.90 NZD

Thanks! (Choice!)

Looks like there is an electronics sale on, too. I'll post lots of these in USD$ - seems pretty competitive on the items above, which are 'on sale'.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've just added a ton of vodka and whisky / bourbon options and prices in USD$ to the list.

Almost all are from NZ airports - but you would order online to get these '20% off' prices and pick-up at the airport arrivals.

The website lists these airports:
Auckland Wellington Christchurch Palmerston North Dunedin Hamilton Queenstown.

Here are the NZ Duty Free New Security Regulations, from the Airport DF website.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Can anyone mention some specific airport Duty Free places worth a look for liquor?

I recall Bahrain was pretty popular for departing pax (at least when GF ran services to Europe/Australia but that's another story).

How's Dubai and Oman? I'm headed through the former and would compare it against SYD. Especially for JWB... thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:19 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Help! BiziBB! What is the name of that wonderful port made in Australia that you can get at the DF in SYD?

Worth flying 12 hours to get!

Bravo to the Australian airports that have Duty Free shopping for ARRIVING passengers! A wonderful idea!
One port that fits this description is Penfolds Grandfather (or GreatGrandfather if you win the lottery, it is that expensive). There are a dozen excellent ports in Oz -- quite a different style than Portugal, but just as good. Fruitier and fresher.

You might also like Noble One (sauterne instead of port, but very cheap for the high quality).

As for DF on arrival, lots of airports outside of the US do this. Probably more have it than not, and some even force you to pass through the DF shop on the way to immigration -- not too subtle.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:25 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Can anyone mention some specific airport Duty Free places worth a look for liquor?

I recall Bahrain was pretty popular for departing pax (at least when GF ran services to Europe/Australia but that's another story).

How's Dubai and Oman? I'm headed through the former and would compare it against SYD. Especially for JWB... thanks!
DXB is disappointing -- not as good as SYD or AKL.

Prices and selection (and even sizes!!!) vary a lot by airport. BKK is cheap for some things, HKG for other things. Generally much better selection in HKG. TPE can also be cheap. Most of Europe is priced high, but has some unique liquors. JNB should be very cheap now as the Rand has tanked, unless they have already adjusted the prices. Several other countries have some currency fluctuation plays that make them cheap at times until the prices are readjusted.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I can't think of the port you're thinking of, oldpenny.
Brown Brothers?
Can you remember anything about the location of the wine label in Australia, the label itself or any story that would help?

As for SYD DF, seeing as the arrivals gate IS the DF shop, it's hard to miss.
I wish there was still the immigration gate for DF shoppers.

When in an Aussie airport DF, have your QFF number ready in case you score miles .
BiziBB, could that port be ' Penfolds Old Grandfather' or 'Penfolds Old Grand Dad'?

Thanks for the tip on the QFF #.

Last edited by oldpenny16; Mar 14, 2008 at 8:09 pm
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Excellent! Here are a few examples I'll try to price, duty free

Originally Posted by number_6
One port that fits this description is Penfolds Grandfather (or GreatGrandfather if you win the lottery, it is that expensive). There are a dozen excellent ports in Oz -- quite a different style than Portugal, but just as good. Fruitier and fresher.
Penfolds Great Grandfather AUD$299
Duty Free: $???
This is the fourth series made and there were only 250 cases produced!
...the historic bluestone cellars are home to a tradition of fortified winemaking dating back over 150 years.

In 1994, to commemorate 150 years of winemaking by Penfolds, a special blend of the finest and oldest components of Grandfather Tawny was created. This blend, befitting its great age and quality, was named Great Grandfather.

Penfolds Great Grandfather Liqueur Tawny clearly demonstrates its great age, refined although possessing an incredible intensity of flavour. Still vibrant fruit flavours merge with aged rancio complexity before a finish of extraordinary length.

...The wine has a perfect harmony of rich developed fruit flavours, aged rancio complexity and a slightly drying spirit finish. A truly outstanding liqueur tawny that deserves to be recognised as the equal of any fortified wine ever made in Australia.
Penfolds Grandfather Liqueur Port $90
(Available locally for $72 street price, in a wooden/glass display box, a few dollars less duty free)
Duty Free: $68 (?)
Region: South Australia

Tasting Note:
Robert Parker 92 points!
"Amazingly rich and honeyed with hints of figs, prunes, caramel, and toffee, it is a gorgeous, brilliantly made fortified wine composed of Shiraz and Mourvedre. This brilliant fortified is remarkably light on its feet given its massive richness. Thank good winemaking, great natural extract, and zesty acidity for keeping this wine fresh in spite of its huge residual sweetness and power."
Robert Parker, Wine Advocate #167 (Oct 2006).
[All prices converted to USD$]

Last edited by BiziBB; Mar 15, 2008 at 1:50 am
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

oldpenny and number_6 here is a treasure trove of old and unusual Aussie ports, should you wish to try some.

Isle of Wine

SPECIALS
1987 LEHMANN The King AD2008 Port 750ml $52.88
1978 Brown Brothers Hobart Interdominion Pacing Vintage Port 750 $37.32
1977 Yalumba Surround Thoroughbred Vintage Port 750ml $27.98
1980 Circa Houghton's Trotting Series, 4 x 750ml $93.34
1978 Yalumba Family of Man Thoroughbred Vintage Port 750ml $27.98
1976 Yalumba Without Fear Thoroughbred Vintage Port 750ml $27.98
1956 Penfolds Five Star Club Port 26 Fl Oz $91.00
2000 PENFOLDS Bin 95 Grange Shiraz MAGNUM 1500ml $1,026.22
1981 circa Penthouse Port Series 3 x 750ml $108.89
1949/1951/1951/1952 Saltram's Great Australians Series 4 x 750ml $513.50
1979 Wolf Blass Royal Wedding Charles and Diana Vintage Port 2 x $119.79
1976-1980 Yalumba Thoroughbred Vintage Port Series 1, 5 x 750ml $141.22

Bestsellers
01. 1947 Seppelt Para Liqueur Port 738ml
02. 1956 Penfolds Five Star Club Port 26 Fl Oz
03. 1939 Seppelt Para Liqueur Port 26 Fl Oz
04. Gift - Single Timber Case Fits Nearly All Bottles
05. 1967 Ryst-Dupeyron Armagnac 50ml France
06. 1968 Ryst-Dupeyron Armagnac 50ml France
07. 1978 circa A.Hardy et Cie Red Corner 3 Star Fine Cognac
08. 1944 Seppelt Para Liqueur Port 738ml
09. 1947 Hardy's Bin C336 Show Port 26 Fl Oz
10. 1947 Ryst-Dupeyron Armagnac 50ml France

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.