Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How long can sweet dessert wine be stored once opened?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long can sweet dessert wine be stored once opened?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
Question How long can sweet dessert wine be stored once opened?

Hi

I made a six course dinner in connection with my wife's birthday yesterday and the theme was "the taste of Italy" :-) I had a sweet "white" dessert wine together with the cheese and a sweet red dessert wine (Recioto della valpolicella) together with the chocolate dessert. We only had half of the bottles and they are now stored in the fridge. Does anyone here have any experience when it comes to storing this kind of wine after it has been opened?
Old Oct 28, 2007, 2:37 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by gardkarlsen
Hi

I made a six course dinner in connection with my wife's birthday yesterday and the theme was "the taste of Italy" :-) I had a sweet "white" dessert wine together with the cheese and a sweet red dessert wine (Recioto della valpolicella) together with the chocolate dessert. We only had half of the bottles and they are now stored in the fridge. Does anyone here have any experience when it comes to storing this kind of wine after it has been opened?
Please convey Happy Birthday wishes to your wife, and let her know that the high sugar content of her dessert wine, coupled with your good sense to refrigerate it after opening will ensure that it should be drinkable for at least 2-3 more weeks.

A Votre Sante'!!!
Old Oct 28, 2007, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
It might be good for 2-3 weeks but I'd polish it off as soon as possible to preserve consistent taste.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
It might be good for 2-3 weeks but I'd polish it off as soon as possible to preserve consistent taste.
Exactly. ^
Old Oct 28, 2007, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
My bolding. Not necessary: they will remain consistent for 2-3 weeks. http://www.culinarythymes.com/cms_20...5b287e5040f8d1
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:16 pm

Based on personal experience, I'd still consume consume dessert wines, be they white or red, within the next 4-5 days. I'll maintain that they do in fact lose bouquet and flavor profile but it seems like it gets a lot worse after a week of being open. I've had dessert wines open two weeks or more and they were rather insipid compared to what they'd been when first exposed to air.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by UCBeau
Based on personal experience, I'd still consume consume dessert wines, be they white or red, within the next 4-5 days. I'll maintain that they do in fact lose bouquet and flavor profile but it seems like it gets a lot worse after a week of being open. I've had dessert wines open two weeks or more and they were rather insipid compared to what they'd been when first exposed to air.
Seppelt GR 113 Rare Muscat "Rutherglen": Red Dessert Wine: Can maintain it's integrity for up to 6 months after opening: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....6&postcount=21
Old Oct 28, 2007, 4:32 pm

Yup it can maintain it's integrity and it does sometimes. Having had a bottle over the course of about 2 months, I agree it had some life left in it, especially when one uses a vacuum pump or nitrogen.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 5:00 pm
Suspended

It depends on how much air (and thus oxygen) is in the bottle in contact with the wine. Your best bet is to get one of the pump style necks for the bottle. It's a rubber stopper and pump and you get most of the air from the bottle that way. It's the best way to extend the life of your wine.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 4:11 am

We got a good week out of a half-bottle of Sauterne recently, just with the cork re-inserted firmly. It could well have lasted longer, for all I know, but that is how long it took us to get through it. And there was no discernible change by the time we finished it.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by kaukau
Seppelt GR 113 Rare Muscat "Rutherglen": Red Dessert Wine: Can maintain it's integrity for up to 6 months after opening: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....6&postcount=21
Yep.. this is true with many desert wines that are fortified with brandy as well. I nursed a bottle of Merryvale Antigua for a couple of months and it didn't change appreciably at all.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:02 am

OP: How did you seal the bottle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.