Wiki Posts
Search

When did Benihana stop the show?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold, AA Gold, HI Platinum; every other airline and hotel chain
When did Benihana stop the show?

I've been to two Benihana Steak Houses in the past year (Dearborn and Farmington Hills, MI). In both cases there was very little theatrics and none of what I expect from a Japanese Steak house. Last night (Dearborn) the egg arrived at the table cracked in a bowl; there was no onion volcano; it was very disappointing.

Is this an ongoing trend or did I just have two isolated experiences?
Old Oct 29, 2007, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
I don't go to Benihana very much so I can't speak to them. However most other Teppanyaki places I go to still put on quite a show.

BTW I find the food cooked at the table to not be very good.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:44 pm

Though I haven't personally been to Benihana in ages, this incident may have something to do with your question......

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1137060311072
Old Oct 29, 2007, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerwife
Though I haven't personally been to Benihana in ages, this incident may have something to do with your question......

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1137060311072
Wow, dying from eating at Benihana's. That's pretty harsh.

Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, Choice Diamond, Priority Club Plat, DL Silver
In case you read the above article and are very curious, such as I was - The case went to trial and the jury reached a verdict in less then 2 hours to reject the families claim and decide that Benihana had nothing to do with the death.

Which, IMHO, was the correct verdict. Exactly how much damage can a piece of hot shrimp do, that you have to move so violently that you hurt your neck?

Since they won, not sure if this was the reason for no longer doing the show.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLOIR
Since they won, not sure if this was the reason for no longer doing the show.
Corporate probably still put out a caution, because the next lawsuit might not be so easily won...
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:28 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I always found the show at Benihana's entertaining and the food tasty albiet uninspired. However, I stopped going to them because it seemed every piece of clothing I wear needs to get dry cleaned afterwards. That odor of cooking sauces seems to permeate everything.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did not know they were still operating as my last visit was 7+ years ago. Then the show was far better than the food and I totally forgot how the food odors lingered in your clothing.

MisterNice
Old Oct 29, 2007, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Corporate probably still put out a caution, because the next lawsuit might not be so easily won...
I doubt this case would be the proximate cause, so to speak, of a decision to revamp the whole restaurant atmosphere. The insurance carriers would be concerned only if it appears that the entertainment is really creating an elevated risk of claims. A case here and there is no big deal, especially if they're as weak as this one was.

My guess is that any changes to the entertainment would be strategic marketing decisions, not guided by liability concerns.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
I doubt this case would be the proximate cause, so to speak, of a decision to revamp the whole restaurant atmosphere. The insurance carriers would be concerned only if it appears that the entertainment is really creating an elevated risk of claims. A case here and there is no big deal, especially if they're as weak as this one was.

My guess is that any changes to the entertainment would be strategic marketing decisions, not guided by liability concerns.
There probably was a memo to the effect of "tone it down", rather than a drastic change to the entire ambiance.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I ate at Benihana last week in San Antonio and the show was still an integral part of the the dining experience. Tossed shrimp tails, juggled rice bowl, onion volcano, etc.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I ate at Benihana last week in San Antonio and the show was still an integral part of the the dining experience. Tossed shrimp tails, juggled rice bowl, onion volcano, etc.
I'm disappointed you didn't injure neck watching the show. As a seasoned lawyer you could have earned quite a bonus by feigning sickness from the show.
Old Oct 29, 2007, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Not a fan of teppanyaki style restaurants-BUT-the one in the Las Vegas Hilton(this was years ago)used to be a great place to bring the folks visiting from Sacramento! It was a tiki bar deluxe!
Old Oct 30, 2007, 6:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, Choice Diamond, Priority Club Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
I'm disappointed you didn't injure neck watching the show. As a seasoned lawyer you could have earned quite a bonus by feigning sickness from the show.
Give it time. In the original case, the neck surgery didn't take place until 6 months after the "ducking from the shrimp" incident. So there is lots of time to realize a sore neck resulted from that one night in Benihana. All you need is to find a Dr. Nick and let the lawsuit roll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.