Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your favorite beer?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007, 9:14 am
Original Poster

What's your favorite beer?

I did a search and pulled up a bunch of threads dealing with beer, but didn't see any asking the most basic question: What's your favorite?

My normal go-to beer is Stella Artois - light and crisp making it easy to have more than a few

On a recent trip I was turned on to Chimay. They were serving the Chimay Rouge at this bar and I loved it. Came back and placed a special order and Chimay Bleue is amazing, though a bit pricey I guess. The balance to that is since its 9% ABV you aren't drinking quite as much. Add to that the fact that the bottles are 750ml or 1.5L (they do have smaller bottles but I can't find them around here). Great stuff though ^
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thelark
I did a search and pulled up a bunch of threads dealing with beer, but didn't see any asking the most basic question: What's your favorite?

My normal go-to beer is Stella Artois - light and crisp making it easy to have more than a few

On a recent trip I was turned on to Chimay. They were serving the Chimay Rouge at this bar and I loved it. Came back and placed a special order and Chimay Bleue is amazing, though a bit pricey I guess. The balance to that is since its 9% ABV you aren't drinking quite as much. Add to that the fact that the bottles are 750ml or 1.5L (they do have smaller bottles but I can't find them around here). Great stuff though ^
I've mentioned this before but it's worthy of repeat - in some parts of the UK Stella is known as a pint of wife-beater.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:28 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by thelark
.... ^
It depends on a few things: weather, mood, location, what's on tap? At home, bottles of Anchor Steam (nice to know what the Maytag family did with their money) or Sierra Nevada. At my local bar, they have Ommegang Ale (either Rare Vos or Hennepin) from upstate New York on tap, along with Chimay wheat for hot days. If I'm in the UK, an ESB on tap works, in Germany a Kolsch or something else local (Riegeler is my overall favorite, but not exactly easy to find outside Freiburg), etc.

So it all depends. There is no one best beer, except for the one you're drinking at the moment :-)

Bob
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler
While sipping a delicious pint of Harp in Dublin the bartender leaned over the counter to inform me that Harp is referred to as Tinker's Piss by the locals. I took the hint and after finishing it off I went right back to Guinness! My all time favorite hands down.

Nothing could prepare for the derogatory term used by Australian’s when referring to XXXX. I think if I typed it out I would be banned from FlyerTalk.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
I've mentioned this before but it's worthy of repeat - in some parts of the UK Stella is known as a pint of wife-beater.
lol
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
Like stated above, depends on if/what I'm eating, mood, weather, tap/bottle, etc:

Fat Tire
Cutthroat Porter
90 Shilling
Laughing Lab
Negra Modolo
Toohey's Old
Guinness
Bass Pale Ale
Winter Warlock
Double Barrel Double Bock
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by TimothyNoel
While sipping a delicious pint of Harp in Dublin the bartender leaned over the counter to inform me that Harp is referred to as Tinker's Piss by the locals.
I was with a friend at a bar in Sydney who got the same treatment after ordering a Foster's.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Mass market beer - Guinness - preferably in a pub in Ireland. They take much better care of it there.

Micro - Nut Brown Ale from the Bluegrass Brewing Co in Louisville.

Light mass produced cheap beer - Labatt Blue.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:42 pm

Any local lager bier in Germany
Leffe in French speaking parts of europe
Blue Moon in eastern to midwest US

I agree with tev9999 that Labatt Blue is a good utilitarian beer
Old Oct 2, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Pyramid Hef
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
in no particular order

Yuengling Traditional Lager
Chimay Red
Duvel
Goose Island Harvest Ale
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Plat, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by bpratt
It depends on a few things: weather, mood, location, what's on tap? [...] So it all depends. There is no one best beer, except for the one you're drinking at the moment :-)
Great answer! Bukowski in Boston, my home tavern (or should I say my tavern home? ) has at least 12 microbrews on tap and 1 on cask (all constantly changing based on season and availability) and 100+ varieties in the bottle, so I'm spoiled for choice. I'm constantly switching up as I roam through the beer universe, with preferences skewed toward ales, fuller but not overly hoppy lagers, and porters. I prefer pints from the tap, especially since the taps at Bukowski are scrupulously maintained and the chill and carbonation are just right for me.

But I would be willing to throw some faves out there, just for fun:
  • Favorite Beer After Mowing the Lawn on a Hot Day: tossup between Rolling Rock ("the glass-lined tanks of Old" Latrobe, PA) and Bohemia (MX)
  • Favorite Beach Beer: Leon (MX), unattainable in the US (y sin límon, por favor )
  • Favorite Session Beer: Brooklyn Brewery Brown Ale (Brooklyn, NY)
  • Favorite Beer to Drink While Contemplating the Universe and/or My Navel: Berkshire Brewing Co. Coffeehouse Porter (South Deerfield, MA)
  • Favorite Beer at Any US Airport: Sam Adams Boston Lager (Boston, MA)
  • Favorite 6-Pack to Go at the Gas Station: Yuengling Traditional Lager (Pottsville, PA) or Anchor Brewing Co. Anchor Steam Beer (San Francisco, CA)
Old Oct 2, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Boddingtons
Piton Lager
Old Oct 2, 2007, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
You people are a bunch of elitist....

Coors Light

and that's all I have to say about that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.