Best Fish and Chips in United States?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Fish and Chips in United States?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by shirts6
Ivars in Seattle is best, order from the open air stand by the ferries.
I love Ivars. Mukilteo ferry to Whidbey then and spend a day on the island. Best. Ever.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K Hilton Diamond
+100 on IVARS
Old Oct 19, 2007, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Five Islands Lobster Co. in Georgetown, Maine (SE of Bath) does some amazing fish and chips....

...if you are stupid enough not to eating lobster....
(my date insisted she didn't like lobster...and their haddock *was* fresh, light & tasty, chips crisp and hot...)(...I can't imagine why they have *hamburgers* on the menu when the sea food is this good...)
Old Oct 20, 2007, 10:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
If you ever get north of the US border to Victoria (British Columbia, Canada), make sure to go to Haultain Fish and Chips. My mother remembers it from at least 1944 as a very young kid, and it is truly excellent. Might be better than anything you can in the UK these days - it is that good. Not fancy at all, but very tasty fish and batter. Think of Goldilocks and the three bears - this is the one that is just right. Not too heavy, not too light.
Old Oct 27, 2007, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
Long John Silvers
Is this what they call Trolling for a fight?
Old Oct 27, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by Ralph Snart
Legal Seafood's spicy fish and chips. The place is a tourist dive, but if you're staying at the Marriott Long Wharf, or if you're flying through terminal B at Logan, they're right there.

Any time I fly on US Air out of Logan, I eat lunch or dinner there. The spices they add give the fish a nice kick.
You've got it the Spicy Fish and Chips is the best. I usually ask for it well done b/c if it sits at all the juices from the fish make the batter soggy which i hate.

to boot at $13.95 it is quite the deal for a dinner in Boston.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Mlife Gold
Ric

British pub called "Penny Lane" has the best fish and chips I've ever had. Great happy hour too - buy any 2 draft beers, get any 1 free.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by erila
I live in the UK and I have sampled fish and chips in the USA and Canada, albeit at small stands at shows and fairs. On those occasions, I have found the fish and chips to be very oily and soft compared to in the UK - as if they are fried either in a different oil, or at a much lower temperature.

Is this normal? Would I have a better experience if I went to a proper restaurant instead of a small stand or canteen?

I love fish and chips at home, but it is something that I avoid when abroad.
I have to agree, US fish 'n chips is not the same, there are a couple of places locally here on the Oregon coast that have been recommended in the local papers and guides, but I find them only average.

Horses for courses I guess.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 2:45 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Halibut Fish & Chips at the upscale Fin's Restaurant in Calabasas and Westlake Village, CA is the best I've ever tasted.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Seattle - No to Ivar's Si! to Anthony's

Real Fish and Chip officianado's will be disappointed with Ivar's. The batter is not up to par and really it's all about the batter when you are talking Fish and Chips. If you are in Seattle, I recommend Anthony's Fish Bar. Specifically, the Real Alaskan Cod, which is prepared in a Tempura style batter is as close to English Fish and Chips as I have had in the US. The best Anthony's location is on Alaskan Way opposite the Marriott.

If you are ever at Seattle Airport, you will have the opportunity to do a compare and contrast type study since both Anthony's and Ivar's are represented there.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Anchorage, Alaska (Peanut Farm)

The Halibut and Chips at the Peanut Farm on Seward Hwy (Old, I think) is fairly good. The batter is a little thick but it's still good. I didn't try the chips (I don't want to get Fat or anything ) but they were regular American French Fries, not British style chips.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Today is, as you might have heard, the last day of National Chip Week 2010, and, typically, the Potato Council's PR people have produced a colourful variety of tenuous, tabloid-friendly stories for our amusement. However, you will have to look elsewhere for analysis of Aston University's research that chips make people "13% more cheerful", or a discussion of whether or not anyone in Portsmouth really uses the phrase "snag and chips".

No, instead, as Jesus might, Word of Mouth asks you all to take a moment and consider the chippies. Because, in National Chip Week, that is surely who and what we should be celebrating: their dynamism, their flexibility, their resilience.

Forget all that media 'fast food' brouhaha about how great Leon is; how Mexican street food will be the 'next big thing'; or how evil McDonald's are. With 276m portions sold last year, fish 'n' chips is still - 150 years on from its birth - Britain's most popular takeaway meal.

Moreover, while its popular image may be one of greasy, old-fashioned stolidity, the British chippy has, in fact, never been more energetic. Patronising Michelin star chefs may occasionally swan in to show everyone how it's done, or not, but at a grassroots level the British chippy is already modernising, already fighting its corner...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...onal-chip-week

Love those fish and chips!
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
The best fish & chips I've had by far was at the "Friendly Fisherman" on Cape Cod. The fish seemed too good of a quality to me to be fried!

I'll also 2nd Jacks Fish Spot in Pike's Place market, Seattle.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Mentioned earlier in the thread (a few years ago lol) asaltandbattery is excellent. I think it is run by a couple of brits.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Amazing Fish n Chips !!

We're lukky to have found it right here in Portland, Oregon...

Just had it last Wed, and it was by far, the best...check out those prices!!

The Frying Scotsman!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.