Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you like your steak?
Rare
13.68%
Medium rare
64.21%
Medium
14.74%
Medium well
5.26%
Well done
1.05%
I don't eat steak
1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your steak? Doneness? How prepared? Etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2004, 12:14 am

I ordered a steak medium rare at an Outback. Then I got food poisoning. Now I order my steak medium well.

It was a few years before I went back to Outback. I missed the tomato salad dressing.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Sorry to hear that but I doubt that was the cause. The outside of the steak is the place most likely to have any bacteria and that is burned no matter what. The inside is not really exposed to the environment. Ground meat is an entirely different story obviously. I would think food poisoning from steak is very rare ( - intended). But watch out for the tarter sauce.......
Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:07 am

Thank you for you concern. I'm still a little shy to go back to medium rare.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Amanda
I ordered a steak medium rare at an Outback. Then I got food poisoning. Now I order my steak medium well.

It was a few years before I went back to Outback. I missed the tomato salad dressing.
Could've been anything you ate that meal...including the salad (not an unlikely suspect).

Back to topic -- while I've liked the gorgonzola on top of a steak, I tend to agree with Nick & gagdetfreak....I tend to order it on top of a "lesser cut" or something I'd fix at home.

Last edited by cawhite60156; Sep 10, 2004 at 9:33 am
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:43 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Medium or Medium Rare Pink and juicy but not raw.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I like my steak medium rare with some pink. Although, I like sliced raw beef carpaccio. Go figure--but it's all yummy.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Medium or Medium Rare Pink and juicy but not raw.

Ditto for me.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by yashan
Ditto for me.
Make that three.

Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips, please!
Old Sep 14, 2004, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by DancingFool
Burgers need to be thoroughly cooked for health reasons. Obviously that doesn't apply to steaks. I order steaks medium rare if the restaurant knows what they're doing. Otherwise it's rare. I find that many steak places overcook medium rare to the point of being medium.
I feel pretty much the same way about steaks, but I usually go for a rare prime rib. I have a strong dislike for any amount of charring, and if I eat at an "Outback level steakhouse," I'm lucky, so the chefs are rarely masterful.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by dannyr
Same here. Nothing beats a bleu steak.

Although my local steak restaurant, Lone Star Steakhouse and Saloon now refuse to cook it that way as they feel it's a health and safety issue.

What's a bleu steak? If I listen carefully, will I still hear it moo?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Had the NY Sirloin from Gibson's here in Chicago on Sunday and I was quite dissapointed. I ordered it "between rare and medium-rare, but closer to rare". The steak came out, it was a little over 2" thick, charred on both ends, but still significantly rare (cool) in the middle. It was unbelievably chewy throughout and quite poor in quality. I was with some close friends that I hadn't seen in a while and as I had to drive them to the airport afterwards, I didn't have the time to send it back. Has anyone else had a poor steak from Gibson's before? Would it be worth a telephone call or a letter to the General Manager?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 7:00 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by yashan
What's a bleu steak? If I listen carefully, will I still hear it moo?
Bascially, yes. Seared on the outside quickly.

10 seconds on each side, just to give it a bit of color, but not enough to cook the meat thoroughly.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:39 pm
jar

Programs: UA 2M
You can't go wrong with good ol' medium-rare.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FightingIlliniUAL
Had the NY Sirloin from Gibson's here in Chicago on Sunday and I was quite dissapointed. I ordered it "between rare and medium-rare, but closer to rare". The steak came out, it was a little over 2" thick, charred on both ends, but still significantly rare (cool) in the middle. It was unbelievably chewy throughout and quite poor in quality. I was with some close friends that I hadn't seen in a while and as I had to drive them to the airport afterwards, I didn't have the time to send it back. Has anyone else had a poor steak from Gibson's before? Would it be worth a telephone call or a letter to the General Manager?
was this at the one out by the airport in the DoubleTree? I was there not too long ago and found my steak to be mediocre at best. I also felt the tables were way too close together. I practically had to shout at my dinner companion to be heard.
Old Sep 26, 2004, 1:11 pm

I guess I'm in the monority -

Medium --> medium well for me - just a little pink.

Best filet I ever had - Providence Prime in Providence Rhode Island

cejkwj

Last edited by cejkwj; Sep 26, 2004 at 1:13 pm Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.